Coded keys

belfastguzzi

Coded ignition key for Griso 1200 model.

The head has broken off the key shank. Key fob jammed between key and handlebars when the handlebars were turned and it quickly snapped off.

Is it important that the key shank is physically /electrically connected to the transponder in the key head?

Does the shank play any part in increasing the signal strength?

I guess there is a rechargeable battery in the key head?

Is it charged via the key shank?

I've just paid £200 for replacement ignition lock with 2 keys. I don't know what it would cost to get another new key now, or what the process is for re-coding.

Or maybe there isn't a battery in the key. Anyone know how the transponder works?

Coded ignition key for Griso 1200 model.

The head has broken off the key shank. Key fob jammed between key and handlebars when the handlebars were turned and it quickly snapped off.

Is it important that the key shank is physically /electrically connected to the transponder in the key head?

Does the shank play any part in increasing the signal strength?

I guess there is a rechargeable battery in the key head?

Is it charged via the key shank?

I've just paid £200 for replacement ignition lock with 2 keys. I don't know what it would cost to get another new key now, or what the process is for re-coding.

Good grief! How in heavens name did you manage to do that?

No, to the best of my understanding the way it works is that there is a coil in the 'Ring' around the lock this creates a magnetic field and although weak it is sufficient to create an EMF in the chip in the key which then sends it's 'signal' back to the switch for recognition. No battery required.

Coding the keys is easy. Go into the menu and then scroll down to 'Enter User Code' if it is a new bike or, I presume a new lock. If that doesn't work you'll have to go to 'Change User Code', enter the service code 12425 and then it will ask you to enter the new code, swap keys and enter the new code again.

I had no luck getting keys cut locally here in Oz. I bought some spares from Todd and then when they arrived all the so-called locksmiths in Canberra said their engraving machines needed a factory code to do them and they didn't have that. I thought this was insane but they simply weren't interested :rolleyes: . Anyway, I sent 'em back to Greg at MI in Seattle and he got 'em cut for me. At the end of the day it was much quicker, cheaper and easier for me to do that than it was to chase my tail here. Bloody stupid!

pete

Good grief! How in heavens name did you manage to do that?

natural talent

So if it's that complicated to get a new key, and if there is no battery, I can just put a new head on the key shank and keep the magic part attached on the key ring.

It's not working with key head just on key ring. Maybe it's not close enough to barrel/coil.

And arghhhhhhhhhhh - just noticed a lump in a jacket pocket - and found the original key!

I had thought it was stolen along with the other keys that went.

So there was no need at all to get the locks changed, at £200!!!!!!!!

Coding the keys is easy. Go into the menu and then scroll down to 'Enter User Code' if it is a new bike or, I presume a new lock. If that doesn't work you'll have to go to 'Change User Code', enter the service code 12425 and then it will ask you to enter the new code, swap keys and enter the new code again.

If I cut the original key shank off, leaving enough neck to attach the broken new key shank to instead, can I then recode that original key head to work along with the new key system?

Can I enter a completely new code that I make-up, or can I find-out what the current code is?

Ta

It's not working with key head just on key ring. Maybe it's not close enough to barrel/coil.

And arghhhhhhhhhhh - just noticed a lump in a jacket pocket - and found the original key!

I had thought it was stolen along with the other keys that went.

So there was no need at all to get the locks changed, at £200!!!!!!!!

Everybody has a lost key tale buy yours is a pretty expensive one.!

However a certain Gearjammer who came to Kenbridge on his 1200 sport last year has a good tale of similar woes but which involved;

a stag night,

lost keys,

an abandoned bike,

a round trip with car & wife from Huddersfield to Dalkeith (Scotland) to pick up said abandoned bike.

A petrol stop where said keys are discovered in bike jacket pocket........... :doh:

One very sheepish Mr Gearjammer.......

The world would be a less interesting place without the 'bike key leprechaun'!! :whistle:

Hx

However a certain Gearjammer who came to Kenbridge on his 1200 sport last year has a good tale of similar woes but which involved;

a stag night,

lost keys,

an abandoned bike,

a round trip with car & wife from Huddersfield to Dalkeith (Scotland) to pick up said abandoned bike.

A petrol stop where said keys are discovered in bike jacket pocket........... :doh:

The world would be a less interesting place without the 'bike key leprechaun'!! :whistle:

Hx

:rolleyes::lol::D

Funny and sad at the same time, Helen, but haven't we all been down that road before? C'mon, admit it! Sounds familiar.....

Søren

a stag night,

lost keys,

an abandoned bike,

Hx

I am gladdened and pleased by Mr Gearjammerfoodmonster's sorry tale of woe.

I want to hear more such tales.

If I cut the original key shank off, leaving enough neck to attach the broken new key shank to instead, can I then recode that original key head to work along with the new key system?

Can I enter a completely new code that I make-up, or can I find-out what the current code is?

Ta

Huh? The RFID in the key is likely hard coded [since they're so much cheaper & easier to make that way]; when you "change the code," you're reprogramming the ECU to recognize the new RFID in the key. Here's an idea: program the ignition to recognize your Mobil/Exxon "EZ Pay" RFID key fob, and then you can use cheap regular key blanks instead of the expen$ive blanks w/ an RFID in the head...

Stinkin' RFIDs are the biblical "number of the beast" we're allowing ourselves to be tattooed with... <_>

Huh? The RFID in the key is likely hard coded [since they're so much cheaper & easier to make that way]; when you "change the code," you're reprogramming the ECU to recognize the new RFID in the key. Here's an idea: program the ignition to recognize your Mobil/Exxon "EZ Pay" RFID key fob, and then you can use cheap regular key blanks instead of the expen$ive blanks w/ an RFID in the head...

Stinkin' RFIDs are the biblical "number of the beast" we're allowing ourselves to be tattooed with... <_>

Thanks Skeeve

but is Pete not saying that Greg was able to code new keys for him?

Boy I hate this mad stuff. Stupid complexity and expense, to give the user inconvenience and lack of flexibility.

Thanks Skeeve

but is Pete not saying that Greg was able to code new keys for him?

Boy I hate this mad stuff. Stupid complexity and expensive to give the user inconvenience and lack of flexibility.

Nah. It was actually getting the poxy things engraved that was a 'Huge Problem' for me <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:"> . Coding the buggers is easy, you can code up to six of the bastards if you wish, at least that's my understanding. Plug 'em in. Punch the numbers. Go ride. Loose key. Find nearest spare is hundreds or thousands of Km away!

Brilliant! :lol:

Pete