N

gstallons

We were at the European Bike Rallye in Burkesville,Ky. this weekend. One of the vendors was "selling" nitrogen tire fills. At $5.00 per tire this sounded pretty good, so in went the new stuff. I had read a lot about this for passenger cars and was already aware of the benefits. Stable pressure at all temps, very little leakdown because of the size of the N molecules,etc.

How many of you are running nitrogen in your tires? What are your thoughts?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were at the European Bike Rallye in Burkesville,Ky. this weekend. One of the vendors was "selling" nitrogen tire fills. At $5.00 per tire this sounded pretty good, so in went the new stuff. I had read a lot about this for passenger cars and was already aware of the benefits. Stable pressure at all temps, very little leakdown because of the size of the N molecules,etc.

How many of you are running nitrogen in your tires? What are your thoughts?

I am not running it and I see no real benefits for road use. Even at the lower end of racing I see no benefits.

Other then the cost it has no downsides/drawbacks, but in my opinion it does little more then lighten your wallet. But if you believe there's a benefit and running it makes you feel better then by all means do it. I'll spend my money on something else.

I use 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% argon. Maybe not the best but it is cheap for sure :oldgit:

Seriously, I think it's like those Iridium spark plugs. I tried those. They had one big advantage: They last forever. But they are very expensive and I don't really see the point as they won't make the bike run better.

If I run across a 5€ Nitrogen offer I might try it too but I expect similar conclusions.

I use 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% argon. Maybe not the best but it is cheap for sure :oldgit:

I'm with Raz. That mix works well in my tires, is available everywhere and it's free.

Guest ratchethack

That's funny. I'm running the same thing, with .038% CO2 (a life-giving nutrient and essential requirement for all green plants, recently officially classified by our government as a pollutant :rolleyes: ), H20 vapor (NOT YET classified a pollutant by government grant chaser/political hacks, but 10X the "harmful greenhouse gas" that CO2 is :rolleyes: ), and traces of neon, xenon, helium, hydrogen, and krypton.

Works a treat in all kinds of tires -- even square ones. :lol:

NOTE: It tends to be less effective if you drill holes in your tires, Dave. :P

Guest ratchethack

Good one, Cliff. Never considered it, but the older the tire, the higher the N2 concentration.

Why, by 10K miles on a Z6 front, it must be up around 90%. :lol:

Ya'll talking about the law of effusion again? Effusion is the passage of gas molecules through a very small hole.

It is also called Graham's law- the rate of effusion of a gas is inversely proportional to the square root of its molecular mass. H or He effuses more quickly than N2 or Ar or Kr. With a rubber tire, it's a bit more complicated because some gasses are actually permeable through the rubber (oxygen).

FWIW, it's Graham's law that is used to enrich uranium.

Also, FWIW, filling your tires with purified nitrogen is a waste of your money and our limited energy reserves. Filling your tires with helium is wasting a very limited natural resource and should be considered criminal. A bit excessive? Perhaps, but it illustrates the complete lack of benefit from this exercise. :oldgit:

:lol:

SEEE this is why I love you guys, you see something and go, O rly now?

question the new thing with old sound knowledge is a true sign of a guzzista, we add the sarcasm for free

I would have added my own smart ass comment but everyone beat me to it. :bier:

hmm anyone thought of using argon? its cheap and I bet most of you have it sitting there doing nothing connected to your cutting torches :D

question the new thing with old sound knowledge is a true sign of a guzzista, we add the sarcasm for free

Sarcasm? We're only being helpful. Nitrogen adds to your unsprung weight!

I have to say; the last time i had a new set of tyres (diablos, so what do you guys reckon about those?) fitted the guys offered the N2 I explained that they will end up like that anyway (as per Cliffs comments) so they filled the rear with N2 and the front with the normal stuff! IT DOES WORK (maybe only on the diablo)!!! if you are a bit lazy like me and don't check the pressures to often it seems to work, pressure in the rear stayed a lott more constant..

Ciao

Jasper