V11 Sport steering damper

guzzipete

I'm trying to find the factory set specifications for the V11 Sport steering damper (non Ohlins), as I would like to return all of my suspension specifications to stock (as a clean slate before making my own adjustments).

I've had a look around the forum here, but haven't been able to find anything other than some people have suggested removing it altogether!

Any suggestions?

Also of great help would be suggestions for final settings (regular two-up, no luggage - rider weight 70 kg, pillion weight 55 kg).

Thanks for any help that you can provide to this Guzzi nubie!

Try the lowest setting available, you don't really need a steering damper on this bike. A higher setting won't do much harm in speed (nor any good) but it will be a nuisance when maneuvering in garage or parking.

I tried this question here also with limited success, however my manual says for the forks:

: upper screw ajusters (A)standard turn 3 turns anti-clockwise from fully closed position.

:upper ajusting nuts (B) turn7.5 turns anti-clockwise from fully closed closed postion.

BUT it does not give a type of fork (brand), mine are marzocchi and have different ajusters, compression screw on one leg rebound on the other.

Can't see any mention of the steering dampener but mines pretty well wound off and I've only had 2 violent head shakes both involving big bumps and high speed around 140-150kph, most of the time you don't need it :D check for seperate pic both wouldna fit :rolleyes:

unknown024_Correction_Correction.jpg

Thanks for that guys!

I've set it approximately half way between fully open and fully closed. It is still quite easy to maneuver in the garage, and like you say, whether it makes any difference at speed or not remains to be seen.

I ride like a grandma, so I'm not so worried about high speed (110 km/h +) stability.

Cheers.

Guest ratchethack
I'm trying to find the factory set specifications for the V11 Sport steering damper (non Ohlins), as I would like to return all of my suspension specifications to stock (as a clean slate before making my own adjustments).

I've had a look around the forum here, but haven't been able to find anything other than some people have suggested removing it altogether!

Any suggestions?

. . .

Thanks for any help that you can provide to this Guzzi nubie!

Pete, there is no "standard", or "stock setting" for either suspension or steering damper. There are guidelines for matching spring rates to load for suspension (well covered in many suspension setup threads for many years), but WRT steering damper, you've asked a Q that invariably results in a few of the same Forum members getting their. . . um, members wrapped up in a group wad around the ol' driveshaft every time. . . :rolleyes:

For detailed discussion, including a post from Yours Truly with a complete word-for-word full article on the topic of steering dampers by a long-time Guzzi Pro, racer, and machinist (Ed Milich at GuzziTech) with a great deal of experience on suspension setup, including the IMPORTANCE of using a steering damper on a Guzzi on the road as well as on the track, taken directly from the GuzziTech Web site -- SEE POST #40 in the thread linked below. This covers it pretty well. WARNING: The thread also flushes out several typically vicious, ignorant attempts at a defense of the indefensible on the topic from the usual suspects without a clue, who're permanently committed to remaining that way. . . :whistle:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=steering

Have fun. ;)

Pete, there is no "standard", or "stock setting" for either suspension or steering damper. There are guidelines for matching spring rates to load for suspension (well covered in many suspension setup threads for many years), but WRT steering damper, you've asked a Q that invariably results in a few of the same Forum members getting their. . . um, members wrapped up in a group wad around the ol' driveshaft every time. . . :rolleyes:

Have fun. ;)

Funny the manual say's THESE are the STANDARD settings ;)

With regard to the steering damper, there is NO right or wrong answer to that question, whether it's from Ed or a two time national champion twins racer. It is purely a case of what you prefer. Some prefer the heavier, slower steering the dampers gives the bike. Others prefer the lighter, quicker steering the bike has without one. On that one you should decide for yourself.

No stock suspension settings???? What the hell were you thinking.

Pete, there is no "standard", or "stock setting" for either suspension or steering damper.

The owners manual states "The shock absorber is calibrated in the factory to the following standard values...", and it goes on to provide these standard values (what I refer to as "stock settings") for the front and rear shocks. It also provides a standard value (stock setting) for the Ohlins damper, but not for the non-Ohlins damper, hence my question.

Thanks for the forward to the other thread though, it was quite an interesting read.

Cheers.

Guest ratchethack

OK, I partially retract my "no standard settings" statement with all due apologies for my shameful ignorance of what the manual says about the OE shock. :blush:

My shop manual does suggest a "standard value" setting for DAMPING ONLY on the OE Sachs-Boge shock after all -- but not for the fork. Yes, the suggested "standard value" setting for shock damping in the manual could well be helpful as a starting point -- ONLY when adjusting compression and rebound DAMPING.

As many should know (but judging by the posts, more'n likely don't know in many cases), regardless of OE "standard settings", -- DAMPING SETTINGS are of secondary importance in ANY suspension setup, and are properly adjusted only AFTER primary suspension setup is completed. Getting this backwards (common popular practice) makes as much sense as trying to dyno tune a Guzzi badly in need of a valve adjustment and a throttle body balance, with a fully loaded air filter. Yeah, I'm sure that's been known to happen, too. . . :rolleyes:

When I still had my OE shock, (as with all previous moto's) I ignored any "standard setting" for damping (actually never knew there was one in my Guzzi service manual until now, and wouldn't have paid any attention regardless), and adjusted the damping according to the way it performed on the road -- the only PROPER way to adjust any suspension DAMPING. I've long since replaced that shock with a full custom shock many years ago, which I set high and low speed compression and rebound damping on the same way -- NOT according to any "standard setting" -- and only AFTER getting the fundamentals of suspension setup right FIRST.

My Guzzi manual DOES NOT suggest any "standard value" setting for ANY aspect of fork adjustability whatsoever (including damping), with the exception of suggested viscosity of (dino) fork oil (not actually a "setting") -- which many (myself included) are no longer using, in favor of road testing many alternatives before finally selecting a superior synthetic CARTRIDGE FORK FLUID to suit my kind of riding -- which, like every other suspension setup choice, would more'n likely NOT BE the correct choice for another rider, nor match some arbitrary OE suggested "standard", being a considerable jump from the performance of the OE "standard", 10w FORK OIL.

Getting beyond DAMPING ADJUSTMENT to the far more fundamental and far more important PRIMARY aspects of suspension setup mentioned above, IN NO CASE is there any "standard value" setting given by either my Guzzi service or owner's manual (either fork or shock) for laden and unladen SAG settings, which are directly determined by a proper match of spring rates to load. Nor in either manual is there any mention of SUSPENSION PRELOAD SETTINGS for the fork -- hence the need for, and interest in correct suspension setup procedures as discussed at length many many times on this Tech Forum over the years.

Any suggested "standard value" setting for suspension preload without using both the spring rate AND the specific load for rider(s) and cargo on that spring to arrive at that setting (fork or shock) can never be anything other than a wild-@$$ guess -- and of no more possible value than a flying fark in a rolling donut. <_<

If there's anyone who wants to take a whack at any part of the above, all of this has been covered repeatedly over many years on previous threads. I've backed up my contributions to a number of them with what I've learned specifically about setting up the Guzzi suspension, successfully getting front and rear sags in a target range matched to my objectives with numerous credible resources that pick up where the Guzzi manual leaves off, including many links and direct quotes from various sources of leading professional moto suspension expertise, as any search on "sag" will show.

Have at it. Ready when you are. . . ;)

For the black Marzocchi forks, the manual specifies rebound damping 3 turns from fully closed and 7.5 turns of pre-load. For the Ohlins forks, it specifies 13 clicks from fully closed for rebound and compression and 13 turns preload.