Snaped Rear End Pinon

Karl Von

Well, I finaly got around to swap out the rearend in my brothers Roso Mandello. He snaped the pinion at bike week. Here are the photos

P1010274.JPG

P1010277.JPG

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought exactly Dave. The forces exerted on the shaft and universals is enormous if the trunnions aren't alligned. It could be a manufacturing fault as well though.

Pete

The painted marks were lined up when I took it apart. My brother also, babied this bike, no burn outs, wheelies, etc.. I would say it was a defect. Maybe the same guys who are in charge of hardening the cams on the EVs & Griso did pinion shafts also ?

Heres mine

He was sitting at a stop light and we all went to leave. I saw he was having trouble and notoced his drive shaft was spinning but the bike was not moving. Strange that it was two Rosso's that had the pinions snap. Maybe it was the sonic wave from the ratteling single plate clutch that broke it

He was sitting at a stop light and we all went to leave. I saw he was having trouble and notoced his drive shaft was spinning but the bike was not moving. Strange that it was two Rosso's that had the pinions snap. Maybe it was the sonic wave from the ratteling single plate clutch that broke it

Interesting. I wonder if there is something he can do to reduce the chance of a recurrence.

Obviously no wheelies, but some other things might help like, drilling the rubber in the cush drive, and making sure the cylinders are balanced, more frequently, and maybe some other things are critical like swing arm alignment, and suspension sag, maybe paint the bike black, so it will no longer be a Rosso :P

Perhaps the mechanical veterans on the forum have some ideas on the matter?

....The forces exerted on the shaft and universals is enormous if the trunnions aren't alligned. ....

No, that's not correct. It's not as it should be this way, but it won't damage anything.

Hubert

No, that's not correct. It's not as it should be this way, but it won't damage anything.

Hubert

Jesus Hubert. Do you have to disagree with everything I say just on principle? If the trunnions aren't aligned as the suspension moves up and down the shaft winds up like a bloody great torsion spring. The forces are considerable and WILL damage stuff. Sorry but as usual you're talking worrying piffle. If it is so unimportant why the hell do you think every manufacturer since the dawn of time who uses Hookes couplings in driveshafts, (Like all rear wheel drive, front engined, cars.) build their driveshafts with the trunnions alligned? Because it looks prettier? Gimme a break.

Pete

Jesus Hubert. ...

Here a Hubert only will do, thanks.

Anyway, my posting has nothing to do with you personally or with any principles. How come? It's only what you write. The content is wrong, that's all, not the name below it. We had this once already. If you had really understood what's going on at the ends of such a misaligned driveshaft you'd be more carefull with bringing this in context with a snapped off pinion, wildly guessing about enormous forces. Remember, the beemers always used one u-joint only, and they did go up and down, especially under load. What did they do to eliminate those "enormous forces" you're talking off?

Hubert

Here a Hubert only will do, thanks.

Anyway, my posting has nothing to do with you personally or with any principles. How come? It's only what you write. The content is wrong, that's all, not the name below it. We had this once already. If you had really understood what's going on at the ends of such a misaligned driveshaft you'd be more carefull with bringing this in context with a snapped off pinion, wildly guessing about enormous forces. Remember, the beemers always used one u-joint only, and they did go up and down, especially under load. What did they do to eliminate those "enormous forces" you're talking off?

Hubert

Smallblocks also only use one coupling. They have a very soft cush drive in the rear wheel. BMW's have a shorter suspension travel and a longer shaft and the forces imposed on a driveline by a single Hookes coupling working at an angle are very much less than the forces imposed by two that are misaligned. Whether you believe this or can understand I give not a fig but I DO worry that your comments may lead people to think that driveshaft alignment is unimportant and not something that should be treated with care.

A few years ago there was a bloke who posted here who was having handling problems with his Balablio. He was at the point of selling the bike but just happened to drop past my workshop and I noticed that his shaft was misaligned by only one spline. we fixed it on the spot and he saw fit to mention here how suddenly the bike's handling had been transformed. The forces imposed by misaligned trunnions ARE susbstantial, more than enough to seeriously upset the handling of a 200KG+ bike with a 100KG rider on board. as the shaft winds up and unwinds as the suspension moves those forces will work on the rorque arm and, because every action has an equal and opposite re-action, on the driveline of the bike.

I understand FULLY what is happening in that situation and how dire the consequences can be. As usual Hubert, you're wrong, and as in so many cases your statements could have dangerous outcomes for people who choose to listen to them.

Pete

....as in so many cases your statements could have dangerous outcomes for people who choose to listen to them.....

Some really have problems with reading a text and understanding it as well. So far I thought this was more a problem of nowadays' youngsters.

Hey Pete, I never told anyone to drive around with a misaligned shaft. It's all just about this semisense of huge forces killing this or that. Such things just don't happen.

Hubert

Some really have problems with reading a text and understanding it as well. So far I thought this was more a problem of nowadays' youngsters.

Hey Pete, I never told anyone to drive around with a misaligned shaft. It's all just about this semisense of huge forces killing this or that. Such things just don't happen.

Hubert

Errr? Well? the way I read it was, "No, it's not right, but don't worry about it. It won't do any harm." In my humble opinion this is incorrect an dangerous information so I'll argue against it till I'm blue in the tits. Please don't tell me that you're now going to get up on some pompous high horse about me being 'Common' and using 'Bad Language'. That would simply be the icing on the cake :lol:

Pete