Snaped Rear End Pinon

Karl Von

Errr? Well? the way I read it was, "No, it's not right, but don't worry about it. It won't do any harm." In my humble opinion this is incorrect an dangerous information so I'll argue against it till I'm blue in the tits. Please don't tell me that you're now going to get up on some pompous high horse about me being 'Common' and using 'Bad Language'. That would simply be the icing on the cake :lol:

Pete

Your 'Bad Language' is welcome :) That's one reason, besides others, that I read your posts, this forum. Alas, being not an English native speaker I'm not able to use all what I can pick up here myself. I could buy the colors - using them would not necessarily always give an acceptable picture.

Hubert

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here a Hubert only will do, thanks.

Anyway, my posting has nothing to do with you personally or with any principles. How come? It's only what you write. The content is wrong, that's all, not the name below it. We had this once already. If you had really understood what's going on at the ends of such a misaligned driveshaft you'd be more carefull with bringing this in context with a snapped off pinion, wildly guessing about enormous forces. Remember, the beemers always used one u-joint only, and they did go up and down, especially under load. What did they do to eliminate those "enormous forces" you're talking off?

Hubert

BMW's use two u-joints on their shaft.

Steve

BMW's use two u-joints on their shaft.

Steve

I think he's talking about the early R series twins without the reactive drive. I'm not overly familiar with them but I believe they only use a single coupling.

Pete

37539.jpg

Funny, I was riding that bike just 5 minutes before the photo was taken.

Can't understand how it ended up like that.

:D

With CARC this wouldn't have happened...

or..?

Dunno. You can't misalign the trunnions on a CARC bike shaft as the shaft is a one piece unit. It is retained at the front by a circlip on the output shaft that retains the yoke on the shaft and the bevelbox end is free to move it's yoke on the pinion shaft.

Unlike the Bimmer system where the whole bevelbox pivots on a couple of bearings at the front of the box with the CARC the crownwheel 'Bridge' for want of a better word sits inboard of the bearings that carry the crownwheel and moves with it. It's hard to explain, very easy to understand when you look at it. I've got one in bits at the moment, would you like me to post some pics?

Pete

Is this an "active" or "reactive" rear end?

At least the u-joint points on six. This reminds me of some stories of cruel accidents whereafter people whispered to each other: "The needle still stood blocked at 180 !"

Hubert

Sintered brake pads?

Not enough grease on the temperature sensor?

Not enough grease on the temperature sensor?

Or a problem with his new PCIII USB. Map mismatch probably.

Edit: of course that's nonsense, sorry. In that case the rear wheel would have been found in front of the bike, not behind it.

Dunno. You can't misalign the trunnions on a CARC bike shaft as the shaft is a one piece unit. It is retained at the front by a circlip on the output shaft that retains the yoke on the shaft and the bevelbox end is free to move it's yoke on the pinion shaft.

Unlike the Bimmer system where the whole bevelbox pivots on a couple of bearings at the front of the box with the CARC the crownwheel 'Bridge' for want of a better word sits inboard of the bearings that carry the crownwheel and moves with it. It's hard to explain, very easy to understand when you look at it. I've got one in bits at the moment, would you like me to post some pics?

Pete

What kind of stupid question is that? OF COURSE!

Guzzi crack.... stop teasing & gimme my fix! :food:

:grin: