Clutchless changes?

Baldini

Guest Jeff Kelland

I believe clutchless shifting, up or down, is entirely possible. If the timing is right I also believe you can do it without any damage whatsoever. That being said, I don't do it even though I know I can. Get the timing wrong and you can shock the drivetrain or worse. For me it's not worth the risk. What I do though is to just slip the clutch enough to make a smooth shift. This took a bit of practice for me when I got the Guzzi. On an upshift, I generally slightly preload the shifter and then pull the clutch lever in until it slides into the next gear, very smooth! On a down shift, I generally pull the clutch almost to the bar and blip the throttle slightly to match the engine speed to the lower gear, also very smooth. I think this will contribute to longevity of the drivetrain and that's what I'm after. :)

I knew this would open the big can of worms. :o

Racers do it all the time. I first found this out after getting Tivo for the Television. I noticed the riders never used the clutches when going through the gears on the straightaways. (the slo-mo shows it clearly).

I also noticed that my little Honda Hawk could easily change gears without the clutch. I practiced on the bike and no problems.

I also found that Guzzies new 6 speeder does it equally well. The old 5 speed on my EV does not like it. The big heavy flywheel has a mind of its own.

It is easier actually when hard on the gas. Just pre-load the shifter and then just a quick blip off and on power and the gear falls into place.

Not recommended though. If you screw up you could break thnigs. :homer:

I also think it helps that my drivetrain is so light .

I think I may have shattered the selector and destroyed the gearbox during a clutchless change on the Scura - since I got the new gearbox I haven't been doing clutchless changes....

Odd thing is: the new gearbox seems to be making my speedo read very high (almost km/h) - what's that about????

btw, the old LeMans is fine with clutchless changes.

Racers do it all the time. I first found this out after getting Tivo for the Television. I noticed the riders never used the clutches when going through the gears on the straightaways.

My question is what benefit do you get for doing this? Racers don't want to lose a fraction of a second in acceleration. They have ignition cut-outs that are hooked up to the shifter to momentarily kill the ignition while upshifting. They can keep the throttle pinned and just work to shifter to go up though their gears.

They also have a team of mechanics constantly rebuilding their motors and trannys and a boatload of spares following them around where ever they go.

I, of course am not really in a position to comment seeing as wheelies serve no true 'function' , cause increased strain on mechanical bits, an so on yet you might be ablke to find a person or two who has seen me do them..

:bike:

After experiencing my shift quality degrade to the point the dealer demanded guzzi-US replace the complete box, I intend to shift the thing like it has glass springs and hope it lasts forever.

Obvious benefit- faster change if you want max. acceleration;

you save your clutch somewhat;

the biggest benefit in my case is avoiding the danger of overrevving and destroying the head. Years ago when riding aggresively and shifting at or near the redline I used to use the clutch. Then, since everythig goes so fast, the clutch sometimes would be disengaged a tiny fraction of a second too long and cause the engine overrev past the redline. The rev limiter does not help; even fraction of a second at say 2,000 RPM over the limit can ruin your valves.

Aggresive shifting I think is safer without the clutch. I do it always now and never had any problem.