V11 scura gearbox problem

ozzydog

GATES has the same product that works on heater hoses requiring bends. FWIW, heater hose is NOT compatible with petroleum prodocts.You should go to a hydraulic hose vendor or an established (not AZ,PB,O'R,etc.) auto parts vendor to find what is needed. There is usually a valve inside the breather needed to be replaced with the new hose.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack
GATES has the same product that works on heater hoses requiring bends. FWIW, heater hose is NOT compatible with petroleum prodocts.You should go to a hydraulic hose vendor or an established (not AZ,PB,O'R,etc.) auto parts vendor to find what is needed.

Aye^. Many different BULK Hi-temp and Chem-resistant (including petroleum) grades are available.

. . .There is usually a valve inside the breather needed to be replaced with the new hose.

No valve to be found inside any part of the V11 breather hose -- nor the block, according to the Guzzi Service manual.

Ambo's, possibly Eldo's, and other older motors had some kind of ball or flap breather valve in the block, if memory serves? :huh2:

EDIT: From the More Than You Ever Wanted To Know Dep't.:

Egads, looks like flapper valves were found in the airboxes of the Loops.

FWIW, here's a link to a pictorial account of exploratory hacksaw breather carnage courtesy of Greg Bender:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/loo...-_a_look_inside

There are no dumb-arse questions, plenty of dumb arse answers about though :D .

Honestly, you'll find that keeping a Guzzi going is generally a very easy proposition as long as you perform regular maintenence and do a bit of preventative work, (Especially if you ride in winter where they put salt on the roads.).

The biggest issues with Scuras are their exploding flywheels, (Sounds like yours has already let go. Try and find out if it was replaced with another single plater or a twin plater.) and their dreadfully inadequate springs ex-factory.

Address those and they are overall a good bike.

Do make sure that when the rear tyre is replaced that the shop knows the shaft needs to be aligned and have them stick a wodge of grease in the bevelbox bearing each time the wheel is out and it'll probably run like a freight train for pretty much ever.

Watch your oil light under hard acceleration.

Pete

Hello Pete, I never really found out if the flywheel exploded but i do know that they replaced the bike with a twin plate clutch.I got 3 months warrenty from the dealer when i got the bike and the problem was they didn't want to do any work on it as it only had 6 weeks warrenty left. But 6 weeks is still 6 weeks so I told them if they would'nt fix it then

they could have the bike back and i'd have my money back. The bike was in their shop nearly 7 months waiting for parts. I guess i should of learnt then that taking it to a dealer is not always the best option :rolleyes: Anyway its all in the past and i'm gonna learn from this latest episode and learn how to do as much work on it as i can :D Many thanks for all the advice, its gonna need a new rear tyre when i get it back so knowing that the shaft needs to be aligned will make things much easier. Many thanks

Last few posts personal, no contribution to topic, can't you just give it a rest. It's embarassing.

Heather, sorry to hear your bad luck. Where are you in UK? There are several good Guzzi shops with knowledge & love of the bikes. It's worth seeking them out - sounds like you got a dud - if hose was knackered it should have been replaced unless time didn't permit? Parts can generally be got pretty quick if you know where to look. Also I dunno if you visit http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum those guys are often offering to help out with maintenance advice if someone's a bit stuck & they're nearby. If you don't have the inclination, the time or the ability to work on your bike yourself or for whatever reason - there's no shame in taking it to a shop. Just make sure it's a good one. Learning to look after Guzzis yourself gives you a better chance of spotting something before it strands you & it puts you in touch with how the bike's working. They do reward a bit of personal involvement. Is it your first Guzzi? Good luck & I hope things sort themselves out for you.

KB :sun:

Hello Baldini, yes this is my first guzzi, have had many german and jap bikes before but found them rather boring compared to the guzzi, i can't put my finger on why but the guzzi always leaves me grinning after a ride :D . I am in deepest darkest luton its a bit of a motorcycling wilderness around here, the only good thing about the place is you can get out of it quickly due to airport, motorway and railway :lol:

I don't know if the dealer was just trying to get the bike done before going away but when i booked it in they did tell me it might not be ready till after they got back and i said that was no problem so i don't feel that i rushed them. I did find a good dealer who i used about 3 years ago in south london but i took it for a service and nearly died of shock when i got a bill of £446 :o . since then i've done the servicing myself (by the look of it not very well :P ) i didn't know i needed to strip and grease the gear linkage every so often so i never have :o . I did do as Ratchethack suggested and have a look at the linkage after the incident, he said "the linkage should be very nearly 100% slop free" well it was but i didn't know thats cause it had siezed :rolleyes: . My thoughts then were, well if its not the linkage then it must be something more serious such as the gearbox and that was another factor in booking it in the dealers. I did in fact ride down a flooded road for about 1/2 mile 3 days before the incident due to the monsoon conditions we had at the time and maybe this played a part in the linkage siezing? Anyway as you suggest it would be much better to prevent things going wrong in the first place so i'm gonna make every effort to learn to do this and i may even come to like the guzzi more than i do now by understanding how things work and what i should be doing to keep things that way. Many many thanks for the advice and for the link, i will check it out

Regards

Heather

Hi Ozzydog (Heather?):

Don't let Ratch' & G'motos' bickering bother you; we're all like one big dysfunctional family around here! ;)

Sorry to hear about your hubby in ICU; I hope he heals quick. Tell him that you've got loads of guzzisti just champing at the bit to find a Guzzi-riding widow if he doesn't get his act in order! That'll give him some incentive to heal up right quick! ;)

[1]

Anyway, I dug up the old thread:

Oil return hose bodge

I find it ridiculous that a shop that:

A) Muffed your maintenance work in the 1st place

would then

B ) Hare off on vacation w/ your bike locked in their yard & leave you stranded

only I shouldn't, 'cause I got taken by a shop that rebuilt my SV650 4+ years ago after my "accident." [victim of vehicular assault] - not much of a rebuild, they charged me for work I didn't authorize & they never performed, but that's why shops like that won't survive the current GFC, hallelujah.

Best of luck, and glad you came to v11lm.com! Don't let any of our resident trolls [& I include myself in that august category! :thumbsup:] scare you away!

Ride on,

:bike:

[1] My apologies if that was in poor taste; I truly hope he gets well quickly! Just trying to cheer you up...

Hi skeeve, sorry to hear you had dealer problems to, i hope you got things sorted out in the end? I won't let the bickering put me off, it gave me a few chuckles really although maybe i should'nt say that :o . no offence taken and hubby is out of hospital and on the mend thankfully ,i may not have a future career as a motorcycle mechanic but thankfully my sense of humor is still intact and just as well as i've needed it recently :lol: Many thanks for the link i'm gonna have a read through it

Regards

heather

...good dealer who i used about 3 years ago in south london but i took it for a service and nearly died of shock when i got a bill of £446...i'm gonna make every effort to learn to do this and i may even come to like the guzzi more than i do now by understanding how things work and what i should be doing to keep things that way....

How much has it cost you in stress & inconvenience to use the other shop? If the dealer in S.London is Corsa Italiana, then sure, they are expensive but they know Guzzis inside out having worked with them for years, carry good stock of spares & do a good job. Cheaper in the long run than some hack messing up? Perhaps a mix of basic stuff yourself & good shop for stuff that's beyond you, or when for whatever reason you just can't do it yourself. A Guzzi does need a little more marque specific knowledge than more mainstream bikes. It might be worth asking on the GuzziClubGB site for shop recommendations in Luton area, I don't know of any.

Anyone have an illustration or schematic of the breather system?

This?

V11_Breather_system.jpg

Yes, that, thank you.

So essentially the frame is a large puke can then?

And what the hell just happened to the threads?[/quote)

Yes to the puke can question.

what the hell just happened to the threads?

A wild guess is you need to click on OPTIONS at the top right of this thread. Then select Standard Display Mode :thumbsup:

(Edit: I was right but a little late :P )