Lights Out -- Driving Dangerously

machnart

2000 MG V11 Sport with F. by Feracci LED taillight... Everything was peachy for years until I drove home in the evening one night and realized the taillight, dashlights, and turn signals were not working. I am glad my son was trailing me on the freeway on his Yamaha R6 for obvious safety reasons -- really dangerous in heavy traffic! Can you say watch out for the crazies aiming for you?

Fuses and wiring (cursory check) look fine. Brake lights, headlight, horn, starter, etc., all work fine. Any quick and / or easy fix? Tell me it's something like the #2 relay or similar easy / quick fix. I'm about ready to offer a cash reward for "get it fixed advice". Thanks guys!!!! :o:(

I would first check the fuse and the relay.

Swap the relays around. All but one of the stock relays are the same and thus interchangable. Most seem to go with all the same when they replace them (as most end up doing). The relays are a common issue and if you check your manual you will see that one relay not working can take out several systems. I believe the systems you described are all on one relay. The head light has two different bulbs in it as I recall. The main bulb is on the same relay as the tail light I think, but the running light is on another relay and can give the impression that the headlight is lit. But all this is from memory and I could be wrong. Check the wiring diagram and it will tell you for sure.

The tail light, tag light, instrument bulbs and "city" light (4 watt headlamp) don't run through a relay at all. These get their current through Fuse 6 and the ignition switch (Fuse 4).

The turn signals also run off the ignition switch (through Fuse 7) with no relay.

I would be suspicious of a connection from the battery or other connectors (under the tank) that feed power from the ignition switch back to the fuse block.

Here's a flow chart I've found helpful:(I keep it in my tank bag window with Carl's wiring diagram)

Guzzielectrical.jpg

Fuses in blue

Switches in red:

IGN SW - ignition switch

SS SW - sidestand switch

N SW - neutral switch

R SW- run switch

ST SW - start switch (button)

CL SW - clutch switch

Relays in green:

N R - neutral relay ("sidestand" relay)

S R - start relay

HL R - "headlight" relay

"cl conn" are the problematic bullet connectors for the clutch switch under the left ford side of the tank.