First 100 Miles

Guest max

I love the feel of the seating position, overall ergos, The horn button, turn signal button, and high beam button all seem in the wrong place compared to all the other bikes I have owned. Can't signal or switch high beam w/o first honking the horn. Wind over the fairing is very smooth, no turbulance, much quieter than the Duck ST4s. LOVE the throttle transition from just off idle to roll on in corner, very smooth, the ST4s is very abrupt. Then saddle feels pretty good, it is very rare for me to ride 80 miles on a stock saddle and not think about the it once. I just realized that I had not even noticed anything or thought about it at all on the 80 mile ride. Need to reduce spring preload, a little jarring over bumps and a little too much compression damping. Wish there was a ride height adjuster, feels like it needs a little more weight on the front tire. Tracks light a freight train on sweepers, very very good slow low parking lot driveway manners. Can't wait to get over the 5000 rpm break it and see how it pulls. Should get the MG titanium pipes and kit next week when they do the 500 mile service. Idle is at 900 sometimes and 600 sometimes, erratic.

Wait till you've done another 29,900 miles Max and you'll REALLY love the engine. Mine feels superb now that it (finally) has bedded in...

I hope the bike turns out to be everything you'd wished for :D

mine idled rough & even stalled a few times when it was new. Now it runs fine with about 13,000 miles on it. I've heard some people say it takes 10,000 miles to really loosen up a Guzzi engine.

:mg::thumbsup:

Guest captain nemo

Max, I really love the egos on the V11 also and I think it is because of my height. I am 5'9" and 170 lbs. How tall are you? However, I think my 2000 V11 might be an inch shorter in the wheel base. That inch might make all the difference when you are my height.

Also, I think the bikes come a bit harsh, shock wise, in my humble opinion. I have let out quite a bit of compression and preload. Some suspect I have over done it, but I don't know. I DO know that these little corrections make a HUGE difference in how your bike will feel - so don't be afraid to experiment. :nerd:

Need to reduce spring preload, a little jarring over bumps and a little too much compression damping. Wish there was a ride height adjuster, feels like it needs a little more weight on the front tire.

Very astute! :helmet:

I predict many beers to be consumed late at night reading through all the old suspension threads. :bier:

I'll be looking forward to more of your good observations as you and the Guzzi get to know one another.

Wish there was a ride height adjuster, feels like it needs a little more weight on the front tire.

Amen.

Max,

Scura front felt very vague at first drifting wide mid corner - wanted to get more weight over the front. 6K miles later, suspension sorted (nearly!) feels a lot better. Still pushes the front - you gotta really concentrate - it don't give it to you easy.

With the shaft you have to be careful with jacking the rear cos of clearances. I'd like to drop the triple clamps on the forks but don't want to lose the ground clearance, so gotta sort the sidestand/cans.

Lent right over I like to get my arse right up the seat, weight over the front wheel...feel whats going on... The PROBLEM: The petrol tank is too big, stops me getting far enough forward. New tank/seat? Anyone making ally tanks for the V11?

I've whined about this here before but no-one seemed very interested... :wacko:

Good luck, there's a great bike in there!

KB, Wales :sun:

No question, those of us who like to toss these rides around need to be serious about getting some bite on the front. :(

KB, maybe a "FAQ" on this topic?

I have pushed my bike pretty hard around some of our better exit/entrance ramps. (That's all we have for curves in this area!) Perhaps it is my weight working FOR me vice against me, but I have never felt the front end feel insecure.

I weigh 250 pounds geared up and have a 52" chest. Perhaps being built like a gorilla allows me to place more weight over the front end when I'm leaned forwards?

The new secret to good handling on a V11S, work out hard for years and then let yourself run to fat! :o

Off topic; My wife and I are on the cover of the city paper today on our Ural rig. Nice story about our business inside on page 6 as well. All the Guzzi pictures didn't make it into the paper! I suppose the editor liked the Ural best.

Now I get to bask in my 15 minutes of fame! :pic::bike:

It did not sell on EBay. 1862 people looked at the auction and not one bid!

But it is still for sale. I have a friend who is interested but can't do anything about it until late next month. I am not actively advertising it anywhere since it's the off season now. But if someone wants it for $7500 including the $3K worth of custom accessories, luggage and performance work in it I will accept a deal on it at that price.

So if anyone wants a premo-running V11S that is fully serviced and ready to sport tour, feel free to contact me. If you wish to fly here and ride home I will even pick you up at the airport. You can always have the work stand and stock parts shipped home via UPS. (All stock parts except the stock mufflers will be included in the sale. I have a copy of Guzzi's tech/service manual for it as well.)

I love the bike. But my bad disk in my neck keeps me in constant pain. Full face helmets aggravate that. I haven't ridden further than 100 miles a day since June! My body has been well worn and beaten with work and injuries over the years. I have many little signs telling me it's time to stop two wheeling. Soon, I'll just be another disabled guy on a sidecar rig. But I have had a ball overall owning this bike for the last 2 1/2 years I've had it. It's a real adrenalin squeeze every time I ride it! Still under 13k miles. Just well broken in and in need of a more adventurous owner! Feel free to contact me if interested in it!