Brembo levers

docc

After a careful disassembly of the hand levers I am finding the cadmium plated pivot pins suffer a good bit of wear, and are commonly caked up with dry crud. There are three pivot surfaces in each lever and you will find them much happier all clean with a light coat of, say, Bel-Ray waterproof grease.

Be aware of the coil springs and the little bearings that activate the microswitches (don't take them apart in a dark gravel driveway). And note that the stamped nuts that hold the main pivot pins are often loose. :luigi:

From an ergonomic standpoint , levers are often aligned more horizontal than would be ideal. The angle of the levers down from the bar should be along a line drawn from the shoulder through the wrist. This will angle the levers down substantially and take out the angulation of the tendons in the back of the wrist and hand. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips Docc :thumbsup:

I'll check the alignment of my levers first thing tomorrow when I setup the forks.

BTW, if anyone needs replacement levers, although not Brembo... there seem to be a bunch of Brembo alternative aftermarket levers on eBay usually listed as Aprilia items that are pretty cheap(in price, I have no idea of quality :huh2: )

They usually go for around $30 :bike:

al

I bought a lever from www.motostrano.com for a whole lot less than the Guzzi dealer price. I think it was $43. It was flat black though. A zip tie will keep you from losing the stamped nut. I got lucky and found the little steel ball on the floor. I held it in the hole with a little bit of grease.

Do be careful of what you buy on ebay. Not everything Brembo will work.

The pivot pin for the Sport (presumably the Le Mans also) is larger than the pivot pin for the tonti frames (specifically the Jackal). So you can swap brake levers between the two, but you will need the pivot pin.

I really doubt anyone would want the Jackal brake lever- it's cheap pressed aluminum- not adjustable.

I bought a 'CRG roll a click' model for too much money, but it looks nice and works well.

Cheers,

Jason

Okay, okay. So I'm a cheap bastard...

I went to my local Ducati/Buell dealer (some combo eh?) and bought some Ducati parts to put the V11 Sport back together.

45610081A LH Footrest $29.39

45610101A RH Footrest $29.39

62610031A Lever,Clutch/Brake $25.99

And a Buell turn signal:

Y0504.02A8 Turn Signal, RH/Front $5.28

A Napolean bar end mirror $30.95

and there was a shop discount on all of this stuff as well.

The footrests will fit right on if the spring is left off, otherwise, some modification is needed.

The Buell turn signal likewise requires some modification if you're going to substitute for the Guzzi one.

The mirror get's the Mike Stewart treatment to mount it on the hand lever pivot pin (Thanks Mike! - much more effective mirror set-up than the CRG's).

An unused Marchesini 3.5x17 wheel and some used brake disks off of eBay coupled with Al's forks mean that the V11 Sport could be on the road within a few weeks. Sooner, if the parts show up.

Carl,

That Ducati lever is just the 'hand lever' with none of the pivots or adjusting mechanism? Does it have the bronze looking finish and fit right?

thanks , docc

Pivot pin, otherwise known as:

Ducati

000046664 Brake Lever Axle $5.50

I'm not even going to try and guess how long it would take to get this from MGNA (2+ months???) or how much it would cost, but there's no way MGNA gets my money for these types of parts anymore.