whats the best?

DeBenGuzzi

Good man! I found my 1100 Breva a bit dissapointing to start with until I get the screen extended with one of those lanimar lip things on max extension, now I can almost sit turbulence free (I'm 6'1") also the seat nips after a couple of hundred miles (but then again what doesn't) and this is worse if you use textile trousers rather than leather. I have done a 600 mile day in less than perfect conditions (Croatia, through the whole of Serbia into Bulgaria) and still felt good at the end of the day (or was it relieved?)

Stick to the Guzz, you know it makes sense (although you knew thats what you'd hear on this forum)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL something like that would be awesome but then even a bigger problem with support and I'm not a good enough wrench or fabricator to own something that old, maybe some day :bier: hell if one fell in my lap I'd take it

Those old roundfins just don't break. They are so dirt simple that even I can keep one going on the road.

Loopframes are even better. They don't break and they don't brake.

I'm biased but the Concours does everything. And is more comfortable than most of the other ST's. The 2nd generations (94-2006) can be had for almost nothing and the aftermarket for parts is endless, as well as the support on Cog. They'll run forever. They're definitely not the sexiest thing out there but for major miles, carrying a ton, and wind/weather protection, I don't think anything beats it. If you want more the 3rd generation for around 14k is ahem "cutting edge".

David

PS. I decided I'm keeping my connie. Well, cause I can't let her go.

I originally bought my 04 LeMans as a long distance tourer, and found I could ride it all day quite nicely, till it decided to quit, usually in states far away with no Guzzi dealer around, or way to get parts. U-Hauls get quite expensive......

Although I am keeping the LeMans because I love it, I now have addes a Suzuki SV1000S to the stable, and am VERY happy with it. I modified my Teckno mounts from the LeMans to fit the Suzuki, fabricated a quick release tailbag platform from the stock Suzuki grab rail, and added a Corbin seat, and I now have almost ferocious V-Twin power, a sporty yet extremely comfortable riding position, a bulletproof motor, a dealership/parts supplier in every town, (not that I should need it) good looks in a bike, and still ride something a bit different than you see everyday. Sadly they have decided to quit making this model, but I love it so much I'm tempted to buy another and just pack it away for when this ones worn out!! Oh, and theres usually a ton of em for sale on E-Bay at great prices too ! (avoid the 03 models)2005_Suzuki_SV1000S_001.jpg

2005_Suzuki_SV1000S_006.jpg

I'll chip in as I recently picked up an '06 Honda ST1300 for USD 9000.00

It had 2500 miles, so it was virtually new. It is a cruise missle, has the bags, big faring. loads of odds and ends one can add. Honda made the V4 in this bike very smooth. Yeah, its a heavy bike, but that melts away when you get rolling. To my suprise it corners wonderfully. :2c:

I originally bought my 04 LeMans as a long distance tourer, and found I could ride it all day quite nicely, till it decided to quit, usually in states far away with no Guzzi dealer around, or way to get parts. U-Hauls get quite expensive......

Although I am keeping the LeMans because I love it, I now have addes a Suzuki SV1000S to the stable, and am VERY happy with it. I modified my Teckno mounts from the LeMans to fit the Suzuki, fabricated a quick release tailbag platform from the stock Suzuki grab rail, and added a Corbin seat, and I now have almost ferocious V-Twin power, a sporty yet extremely comfortable riding position, a bulletproof motor, a dealership/parts supplier in every town, (not that I should need it) good looks in a bike, and still ride something a bit different than you see everyday. Sadly they have decided to quit making this model, but I love it so much I'm tempted to buy another and just pack it away for when this ones worn out!! Oh, and theres usually a ton of em for sale on E-Bay at great prices too ! (avoid the 03 models)2005_Suzuki_SV1000S_001.jpg

I agree, that is a great bike. You can get that same engine in the V Strom too if you want something even more long haul oriented. Althought the V Strom probably is the worlds ugliest bike! :vomit:

I agree, that is a great bike. You can get that same engine in the V Strom too if you want something even more long haul oriented. Althought the V Strom probably is the worlds ugliest bike! :vomit:

Probably?? No, hands down....it's ugliness even surpasses the legendary ugliness of the Kymko cruiser line!!

Probably?? No, hands down....it's ugliness even surpasses the legendary ugliness of the Kymko cruiser line!!

There is no doubt the V-Strom is not pleasing to the eye. No defending it here. But if you look at the catagory it nestles into, the large dual sport segment, it naturally has good company. Anyone who thinks any of these to be capable of "garage appeal", needs help! BMW GS/GSA, KTM Adventure, Moto Guzzi Stelvio, heck, even the old and newly fully street [we think] Hinckley Triumph Tiger, or the single cylinder Kawasaki KLR, BMW singles, KTM singles, heck they're all friggin weird looking!

As for ugliest bike made today, it's got to be the Buell 1125, both the sport bike and streetfighter. What the @#!#$# were they thinking????

Steve

You've said your 6'3'' and your back and legs felt fine after 2 days on the Aprilia. If your parts are hurtin after a day sitting on your tailbone then the cruiser theme is out of the question, unless a close set pair of footboards takes the weight from the lower back (which is possible). It just takes one hell of a test ride to ascertain that. If the boards work, I would lean to the V92 over the Honda. Its a good motor and ya gotta admit that thing hits you like a 50's Chrysler product. Go across the continent on a Honda or a BMW and you'll find yourself sitting amongst other vacant folk wondering what it was you left behind. You already have two engaging motorcycles, why go bland? Personally I think Triumph is making a series of perfectly good stone axes and would give the Rocket 3 a shot for the cruise thing, if not then the Sprint or Tiger if getting off your ass is paramount. The flat straight does become the narrow twisty if you want it to. I bought the Lemans for that reason, serious mileage capability and the ability to keep me focused come the bends. You can't love a motorcycle without becoming involved and if you don't love your bike, it will never matter where you are, it could just as well be a station wagon. Good luck, if it all becomes too much, buy a Ural with a sidecar and tour along with dementia. Live it up!

yeah my lower back and tailbone took a beating on my suzuki cruiser I had, I LOVE the rocket 3 as a possible option, but I heard mixed reviews on it and I feel like I would get into more trouble with IT than the RSVR. I'm in no hurry and don't know what to do, I also don't want to go bland, I wish KTM or triumph had a better offering for me as the thunderbird 1600 is meh, its liq cooled and feels wrong for the side-by-side, I guess my main criteria is to NOT get sprayed with water if I get into a sprinkle and not put too much on my lower back, part of that problem is I deliver kegs and beer for a living so I have pretty solid muscle to hold myself up on a sport bike but I am assuming mildly strained joints and discs so sitting back too far on a cruiser with shotty suspension hurts like hell. I'm sure a more upright harley with upgraded suspension would be alright but I don't want to spend 20k on a bike either, maybe used but ppl think HD's are worth more than they really are. Same goes for BMW but the 1150's have dropped a lot because of the new models. I would think ideally in my mind a KTM with a rotax motor in a triumph tiger-KLR style bike with hard utilitarian hard bags would be my ideal, hand guards with heated grips too would be even sweeter, but they make no such thing.

Wouldn't that be cool, don't put it past KTM. One day hopefully they will realize there is a market niche that lies between the Adventure and the Duke. Sounds like your on to the riding position you require, upright with just a little forward lean off the tailpipe. Any Standard or Dual Purpose machine will be right for your back. Sport Touring will also fit if they give you enough adjustments with the bar and seat. You shouldn't have to hold yourself up, thats for the sport bike. After bashing the BMW, I have to admit I rode a 96 RS and found that it had the necessary adjustments, heated grips and the best hard bag system on this planet. With its fairing, a nicer package than the 1150. That and a 76 900 RS (I might have the letters wrong but it was "The Bike" evidently, even had the police fairing on it} are the only Beemers Ive put any time on. I just can't get along with the Tuetonic attitude of those machines, its like the machine is doing the ride, you feel like a passenger that has to make sure you make it to the Muster Station for the safety drill. Maybe try the transverse triple Triumph, see if you get along with that engine. Tough call to replace the V-Twin. That configuration simply conveys more to you. Theres a great bike mag called "What Bike" its a British publication so not all the models match our N. American stuff, but it does give you the opportunity to look at all the manufacture's offerings to Britian and I think the Continent. Hundreds of bikes with commentary and some reviews. They had to tone it down, 10 years ago it was funny enough to be on the coffee table. Brutal reviews for cruisers, any cruiser, but a ton of info on new rides and model history, issues etc. The Suzuki V-twin is a phenomenal motor, they have just not got it into the right application yet. Thats me though, I'd recommend anyone go try one, they run on goats piss and only require regular oil changes and plugs and valve adjust at 25000 km intervals. If I had to get my ass to S. America that would be the motor under me. Cool project DBG, enjoy it.

I would think ideally in my mind a KTM with a rotax motor in a triumph tiger-KLR style bike with hard utilitarian hard bags would be my ideal, hand guards with heated grips too would be even sweeter, but they make no such thing.

We know you want a Harley Ben. Go get a 1/2 price adventure Harley at your local Buell dealer before they're all gone.