whats the best?

DeBenGuzzi

touring bike to just eat up miles with wind protection and some type of storage? comfortable and reliable and relatively inexpensive? I've looked at BMW 1200's, buell ulysses, victory v92's and vegas, hardlys, triumph bonne's and rock3's, I would like something more mainstream for dealer parts and general ease of owning, this bike would be something I just don't care about personally like my ape or goose but love to ride. the bike doesn't have to break the record books on speed or power just be smooth and strong, good exhaust note is a plus. I've thought of maybe a Valkyrie as they're a honda but also unique, I've thought about a guzzi cruiser but I worry the leg room isn't there or any dealer support. I'm kind of stumped the front runners are a victory v92, a honda valkyrie or close behind a bmw 1200c, all with bags and windscreen. I really like the victory vision but its almost as much as a goldwing which is the same for the BMW section like the 1200LT or GS. I'm finicky and persnickety so if someone could throw out some insight I bet there are a lot of veteran riders that know much more than I when it comes to decisions like this. Maybe if I found the right guzzi cruiser and also a way I would be able to stretch my legs from time to time I could make it work. :huh:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DBG, just wanted to say that I am real impressed with two latest acquisitons (theres a story on that). When I first moved to Houston for a short contract period I looked around for a K1200S and couldn't find one. So on cragslist there was a 2000 ST4, Duc, in great shape for 5K. So I got it, and am in love with it. It has all the romance I feel towards my Scura, the 916 is an awesome engine. Then surfing Craigslist a month later (which BTW is bad for you), then what do I see? The K1200S I had been looking for. The 2007 black/blue/silver model with blue rims, etc. Usually you see them for around 12 to 13K. This bike was bought in 2007 for 18.5K, the guy put in another 2K (rims and heli bars). He was asking 9K. Now how could I turn that down? So later bought the saddle bags and the GPS and proceeded to take 3 day trips into the T-hill country, even took the missus to the River Walk in San Antonio for the weekend (she survived). Next thing you know, I have the bags off, the lights taped, and am on the track. see pic. I ended up taking the ST4 home to St. Augustine on a 15 hour run, and what a joyous, comfortable, high speed ride it was (saw a twister about a mile off to my right going through alabami but I was going 95 mph in the other direction, away from it).

To sum it up, I still have both. One for the surgical precision and one for the romance. The missus has given permission to keep the affair going! If you think you just want a road bike, then I would consider the K1200GT. It's not quite the S bike, but most the folks I talk to that have one, love them. For the S model, I hear to stay away from the 2005 model. go for 2006 or 7. Good Luck.

St.

IMG_10212_web_large.jpg

touring bike to just eat up miles with wind protection and some type of storage? comfortable and reliable and relatively inexpensive? I've looked at BMW 1200's, buell ulysses, victory v92's and vegas, hardlys, triumph bonne's and rock3's, I would like something more mainstream for dealer parts and general ease of owning, this bike would be something I just don't care about personally like my ape or goose but love to ride. the bike doesn't have to break the record books on speed or power just be smooth and strong, good exhaust note is a plus. I've thought of maybe a Valkyrie as they're a honda but also unique, I've thought about a guzzi cruiser but I worry the leg room isn't there or any dealer support. I'm kind of stumped the front runners are a victory v92, a honda valkyrie or close behind a bmw 1200c, all with bags and windscreen. I really like the victory vision but its almost as much as a goldwing which is the same for the BMW section like the 1200LT or GS. I'm finicky and persnickety so if someone could throw out some insight I bet there are a lot of veteran riders that know much more than I when it comes to decisions like this. Maybe if I found the right guzzi cruiser and also a way I would be able to stretch my legs from time to time I could make it work. :huh:

At first I thought you were looking for a touring bike to go long distances on in comfort. My favorite generic bike, the Honda ST1300 came to mind. Then I read further and you talk of cruisers. I don't do cruisers, too useless in my book, so never mind. The Buell is the only useful bike in that list to me. I have owned Buells and would buy one again in a heart beat. But it is not a typical high mileage touring bike. But it would be way more comfy then the others you listed.

At first I thought you were looking for a touring bike to go long distances on in comfort. My favorite generic bike, the Honda ST1300 came to mind. Then I read further and you talk of cruisers. I don't do cruisers, too useless in my book, so never mind. The Buell is the only useful bike in that list to me. I have owned Buells and would buy one again in a heart beat. But it is not a typical high mileage touring bike. But it would be way more comfy then the others you listed.

well yea, thats exactly the kind of feedback I need though, I do want a bike I can go long distances on in comfort, the one cruiser I had, I HATED it for anything over 20mi, its was a suzuki cruiser and was just not comfortable at all, I think I need a bike more like the 1200gt or lt or the like, I noticed one of the oilhead touring bikes they make has flip out highway pegs which would be perfect

I think that black strip flips out on the LT bike but then these are like goldwings and none the cheaper

K_1200_LT_gr.jpg

I really like this bike also but the damn thing is $20k and massive with uninspiring handling in my mind

victory-vision.jpg

this bike would be about perfect to me if it didn't want to MELT your legs when I test drove it. I wonder if there is a easy fix for that one problem

buell-s-american-adv_460x0w.jpg

I'm looking at what you are looking for in a touring bike. Wind Protection. Comfort. Storage. Reliability. Relatively inexpensive.

Well, you can pretty well rule out modern BMW's in the reliability and inexpensive aspect. I can say that because I've owned BMW's since 1988, have at least a dozen riding buddies with Beemers. They have become overly complex, problematic, high maintenance machines, with major component failures almost becoming a regular affair.

Buells? Well, I'm not even going to go there.

I'm going to steer you to the basic UJA [universal Japanese Motorcycle]. There are many that meet your criteria. Honda ST1100/St1300. Yamaha FJR 1300. Kawasaki C14.

Youi seem to be going towards a cruiser style of bike. I just don't get how a cruiser format can be linked to comfort, all that weight on the tailbone, arms up high in the classic cruiser stance. To me, the most comfortable long distance riding position is with the feet below the hips, hands at elbow level, and torso 5-10degrees forward. This sitting position is mostly found on big dual sports, GS/GSA's, Uylesses, etc.. But not the best wind protection. So I go back to the 3 sport tourers above. You can treat them like cars, they are that reliable. My FJR hasn't had 1 valve adjustement needed since it came out of the factory in 2005, 50K miles. 50mpg. factory bags. 87 octane.

Steve

Not sure if this is a bit too sporty for what you are after, but my Triumph Sprint ST is the best mile eater I have ever owned.

It has high clip ons, panniers as standard and I have fitted the aftermarket gel comfort seat. Tank range is about 200 miles and it is so comfortable- and the great thing is that you can have great fun in the twisties too. The triple motor is full of grunt and character too- sounds great with the TOR end can and the fuelling is perfect.

A bike you can tour on without feeling like a pensioner! In the UK much chepaer than Beemers and Guzzis too.

6320_121728794815_635879815_2940730_3389348_n.jpg

6320_121729104815_635879815_2940779_3285008_n.jpg

I'm looking at the same choice, probably going to invest next year.

I was planning on the norge. I don't like ujms, bmws are ugly, and i couldn't abide an electra glide.

And it looks good in red!

The BMW LT and Goldwing are kings of the luxo barges. They do a good job of it but are a little too car like for me.

R series BMWs are made to order for the long distance stuff with comfort and great handling for a big bike. I love my RT when doing long days or riding two up. It's relative light weight and short wheel base make it great in the twisties too. Last winter I did Baja on a R1200GS (rental) and it also is a great all day bike with a comfortable seat decent wind screen and impressive handling.

A number of years ago one of the mags did a sport touring comparison of the R1150RT, K1200GT, FJR1300 and maybe the Honda ST (not certain about the fourth bike) The RT had the weakest motor and was the oldest model but most testers placed it high on the list because it was the most fun to ride. The newer R1200RT is lighter and has more power. It has been out since '05 so there are probably many good used ones out there.

I'm going to have to test ride a regular GS, I test rode the gs Adv. and was not impressed it was too bulbous, tall, and the seat was terrible, comparing the two they have different seats and obviouslly body work so I bet I would like the regular 1200gs a lot better, part of this mile eater would be ability to cope with adverse weather conditions, wish they had a better rep and reliability. I also wish the stelvio was a tad more affordable for me and had at least one dealer within 2 hours drive.

funny side note is I almost bought a sprint ST when I was looking at the guzzi, I was at the dealer to test ride the sprint but went home with the Guzzi :)

I'm also prejudice against kawasaki and yamaha but I find honda to be appealing with their 800vfr looking like a good one or just that valkyrie.

I'm going to have to test ride a regular GS, I test rode the gs Adv. and was not impressed it was too bulbous, tall, and the seat was terrible, comparing the two they have different seats and obviouslly body work so I bet I would like the regular 1200gs a lot better, part of this mile eater would be ability to cope with adverse weather conditions, wish they had a better rep and reliability. I also wish the stelvio was a tad more affordable for me and had at least one dealer within 2 hours drive.

funny side note is I almost bought a sprint ST when I was looking at the guzzi, I was at the dealer to test ride the sprint but went home with the Guzzi :)

I'm also prejudice against kawasaki and yamaha but I find honda to be appealing with their 800vfr looking like a good one or just that valkyrie.

I thought reasonable cost was on your priority list? I like GS's as well, but they're pricey!!???

Steve

Yea, the Adventure is a giant. Bigger, wider and heavier than the regular GS. Like riding a bull. I've had no BMW reliability issues. The tall screen, hand guards and heated grips add a lot of comfort when the weather turns wet & cold.

My buddy has a Sprint ST. Nice bike, great motor. A little too sporty on the riding position and good but not great wind & weather protection for long distance work IMO. He is about 5'8" and is OK on it. Leg room is a little tight for me at 5'11" - may be fine for a young guy like you. :D

The VFR also gets great reviews although I've never ridden one. Like the ST, it favors the sporty side of sport touring. The Valkyrie is a terrific bike if you are leaning toward a cruiser. I had one for 6 years. Lots of lower leg heat in the summer, a plus in bad weather. Probably the best riding position of any cruiser although I found that it got to my lower back if doing 300 miles or more. Somehow the RT with only a slight lean forward and more leg room is good for all day. 600+ mile days are no problem.

Yea, the Adventure is a giant. Bigger, wider and heavier than the regular GS. Like riding a bull. I've had no BMW reliability issues. The tall screen, hand guards and heated grips add a lot of comfort when the weather turns wet & cold.

My buddy has a Sprint ST. Nice bike, great motor. A little too sporty on the riding position and good but not great wind & weather protection for long distance work IMO. He is about 5'8" and is OK on it. Leg room is a little tight for me at 5'11" - may be fine for a young guy like you. :D

The VFR also gets great reviews although I've never ridden one. Like the ST, it favors the sporty side of sport touring. The Valkyrie is a terrific bike if you are leaning toward a cruiser. I had one for 6 years. Lots of lower leg heat in the summer, a plus in bad weather. Probably the best riding position of any cruiser although I found that it got to my lower back if doing 300 miles or more. Somehow the RT with only a slight lean forward and more leg room is good for all day. 600+ mile days are no problem.

I'm 6'3" there buddy so leg room is somewhat of a concern and yes I hear BMW's are expensive but a few year old regular 1200GS with about 15-20k on the clock is right around 10k which is the high side of what I could afford for such a bike, BUT a valkyrie is about 5-7k but I have yet to see a decent one with under 30k on the clock and most have 50k+ so they must be a nice ride. I also like the RT and LT, RT more than LT but they're both uber expensive, the thing is with soooooo many ppl buying the GS and realizing THEY DONT adv tour on it I'm sure tons have buyers remorse plus initial price point is super high the standard gs doesn't seem to hold its value quite as well as the RT or LT. I'll probably end up with a valkyrie or victory v92 for the better price point and just get a better cushy seat with a backrest to help with that.

I feel like I should chime in on this one...

I have a 2002 BMW R1150RT with over 80,000 miles on the clock(purchased new). I had one major problem with the clutch at about 60,000 and later learned that the dealer did not do the required and paid for maintenance. With a Russell seat and back rest, highway pegs, I can ride this thing for days on end. It's not as much fun as the V11 but when I want/need to cover serious miles in all weather it's the bike I take out. I fully expect 200,000 miles out of this bike. The 2002 model is still "single spark" and regular up-keep is pretty simple. Their are many of these things available ,used, at nearly all dealerships and I'm sure you could find one "decked out" for taller riders.

It's ugly, reliable, provides great protection, bulky, heavy, boring to ride, lots of available accessories, comfortable and completely un-Guzzi like, but I love this bike.

Just an opinion from another worthless nut...

Hey, don't get me wrong. If everything was perfect, the GS or GSA are the best bike for my 6'4" 250ib frame. But there's a reason why hex head and oilhead BMW's resale value is suffering, especially ones with just expired warranty. They have issues, noted issues with leaky gearboxes, rear hubs blowing apart, electrical overcomplexity frying out. There's a reason why oilder airhead Beemers resale is holding solid, because more than just a few people are avoiding the newer complex ones.

Steve

don't get me wrong either I was just being sarcastic and I actually love this advice, it has been really helpful and I trust and respect almost all of your opinions especially since you've been riding so loooong :oldgit:

:D

I think of BMW first because they used to be known as uber reliable and have good dealer and parts support plus are mostly easy to work on, I also think my guzzi and aprilia are a blast to ride I just did a 700 mi trip over 2 days on the aprilia RSVR and it was actually really good except for the tank range my only dislike was the heat after a couple hours on it was too much and I was leaning too far fwd for that long of a ride but up side is my legs and back felt fine :whistle: