CHANGE POSITION TEMPERATURE AIR SENSOR

Jose Paulo

I have a Ducati 749 and temperature air sensor is located on front noise. No change in temperature despite the velocicty.The Guzzi V11 have the sensor on box air and the heat from motor changes the temperature. If you have high vel them low temp. , low vel. give high temp. What do you think change sensor position?

A sensor that reads the actual intake air temperature is, of course, theoretically better. The closer to the throttle bodies, the better. There should be no difference except in very slow traffic and when starting an already warm engine. On those occasions your bike (as well as my pre-V11) will get a richer than needed fuel mixture. I doubt you will ever notice the difference, but I actually plan to move my sensor, just because I can.

I even consider moving the air pressure sensor so it reads the pressure downstream of the air filter instead of upstream. Same there, probably not that important (unless you ride with a very clogged filter which is stupid anyway) but theoretically it's more correct.

Don't think it will make too much difference. More weight is on the cylinder head temp sensor than the air temp sensor when calculating fuel mix.

• 3 weeks later...

Check out the Ducati Monster 1100 with Siemens ECU.

You can download the partlist here: http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/par...ml?family=parts

They have moved some of the sensors.

- Engine tempsensor is now bolted directly to the rear cylinder.

- Air tempsensor is now inside the inlet trumpet between airbox and TB.

- Air pressuresensor is now measuring the pressure inside the inlet manifold between TB and cylinderhead.

/Henrik

- Air pressuresensor is now measuring the pressure inside the inlet manifold between TB and cylinderhead.

This will not work with the Marelli ECUs as used in Guzzis and Ducs. Don't do it.

Hubert

Guest ratchethack
The Guzzi V11 have the sensor on box air and the heat from motor changes the temperature. If you have high vel them low temp. , low vel. give high temp.

Jose, what leads you to believe this?

Just asking. . . B)

Velocity does not change the temperature of the air unless there is evaporation or convection. The current placement would be best, the OEM ECU was mapped for the sensor to read the air temp from that position. If you move the sensor, while it tempurature read may be more "correct" the ECU mapping will not. Unless you have methods of changing the mapping to reflect the changes in intake temps readings.

Agreed, Emry.

It reminds me of changing the head temp sensor holder to brass, but the ECU is not mapped for that and so it is, perhaps, not a "fix' but a "complication".

Did he claim, velocity would alter the temperature of the air around the bike? You have dropped a lot in the oil temp no sense thread, so you should know what he tried to express.

His observations are right, of course, which is the reason for a quite common mod done by many over here: move the sensor from the airbox to the front below/behind the headlight.

Hubert

I have a Ducati 749 and temperature air sensor is located on front noise. No change in temperature despite the velocicty.The Guzzi V11 have the sensor on box air and the heat from motor changes the temperature. If you have high vel them low temp. , low vel. give high temp. What do you think change sensor position?

Lubho, yes he did.

"His observations ar right, ofcourse, which is the reason for a quite common mod done by many over here: move the sensor from the airbox to the front below/behind the headlight."

He stated his sensor is already in the front.

Measuring from the airbox will give a reading that will result in a more consistent Air:Fuel ratio

Measuring from the nose will make the bike run slightly richer, especially at low velocity. I see that as a greater advantage than consistent air:fuel ratio. Moving the sensor to the nose, would keep bike temperature down in Sao Paulo traffic.

But I suspect you can get greater change modifying the engine temperature sensor.

A sensor that reads the actual intake air temperature is, of course, theoretically better. The closer to the throttle bodies, the better. There should be no difference except in very slow traffic and when starting an already warm engine. On those occasions your bike (as well as my pre-V11) will get a richer than needed fuel mixture.

Huh?, it will be a leaner mixture if the sensor is closer to the TBs. It will be richer if placed at the nose like his Ducati.

Huh?, it will be a leaner mixture if the sensor is closer to the TBs. It will be richer if placed at the nose like his Ducati.

I put it in an ambiguous way just to keep you awake. :P

I meant without altering the bike, it will get a too rich mixture when starting a very hot engine, as it will have heated intake air but the sensor wont tell.

Check out the Ducati Monster 1100 with Siemens ECU.

You can download the partlist here: http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/par...ml?family=parts

They have moved some of the sensors.

- Engine tempsensor is now bolted directly to the rear cylinder.

- Air tempsensor is now inside the inlet trumpet between airbox and TB.

/Henrik

Henrik

It is not the air pressure measured by the Siemens ECU but the MAP (manifold absolute pressure). This is a completely different approach to the injection nozzle opening time calculation as you get a much better information about the load condition of the engine. The Weber ECUs are not able to handle this information as Hubert mentioned.

Even very simple car injection systems work with a MAP sensor, but it was not common in the motorcycles yet.