idle set up

dangerous

Now after a recent tune up to sort bak firing etc out I still cant get the bloody thing to idle nice. On cold start up some times it idles high some times it dosnt, either way it will drop back to stalling, same when hot one minite its idling ok next its bearly running again.

Now I have tried the idle screws (as per hand book, purple arrow) but the left seems to do nothiong and the right wont budge.

Whats the best way to set the bitch up, surley it cant be to hard?

Ohh and whats the big placstic knob for? (green arrow) looks important but no mention in the hand book.

No air leaks are aparent.

DSC02691.JPG

I had the same symptoms and wondered what the Big Plastic Knob did,so I started to adjust it either way.Uh....,don't do that. :homer: It's your TB balance knob.After adjusting it without any knowledge of what I was doing,I totally screwed up the bikes tuning.Turned out to be a leak in one of the TB boots.Very common problem and easy to overlook. the good news is I learned how to tune my bike.

Here's a link many use to set up fueling, http://www.obairlann.net/reaper/motorcycle...zi/balance.html.

You will also need/should adjust TPS , http://www.guzzitech.com/EVTuneup-Jeff_B.html

I'm not at home and I don't have my notes so don't want to give you bad info from memory,but these articles are a good place to start.I'm sure guys more knowledgeable than me will chime in,but give the links a looksee and see what you think,,

Michael :bier:

Now after a recent tune up to sort bak firing etc out I still cant get the bloody thing to idle nice. On cold start up some times it idles high some times it dosnt, either way it will drop back to stalling, same when hot one minite its idling ok next its bearly running again.

Now I have tried the idle screws (as per hand book, purple arrow) but the left seems to do nothiong and the right wont budge.

Whats the best way to set the bitch up, surley it cant be to hard?

Ohh and whats the big placstic knob for? (green arrow) looks important but no mention in the hand book.

No air leaks are aparent.

Don't start making adjustments just yet. It seems something altered during your tune up caused your idle problems. Changing other settings may add to your trouble. What exactly did the tune up consist of? I'd suggest going back over what was done to try to find the trouble.

The plastic knob adjusts the rod to synchronize the two throttle bodies.

Don't start making adjustments just yet. It seems something altered during your tune up caused your idle problems. Changing other settings may add to your trouble. What exactly did the tune up consist of? I'd suggest going back over what was done to try to find the trouble.

The plastic knob adjusts the rod to synchronize the two throttle bodies.

Im hearing ya, but the idle was down before the tune which only consisted of valve clearances, ecu checked for faults and TPS reset (done by shop) all rubbers check out sound, so Im hoping its just a matter of reseting the idle... just wasnt sure how much input the ECU has as far as idle goes with sencors etc?

Here's a link many use to set up fueling... but give the links a looksee and see what you think

great info, thats what we need... all I have to do is find some one with one of them guage things you mention.

• 2 weeks later...

Left screw touches the butterfly so by screwing in (clockwise)

you alter the idle (only left cyl) , so bye bye balance

but worse it changes the TPS overall value ;)

Playing with the white knob among other things, alters part throttle balance also.

So no wonder it acts strange.

Info and many links about throttle body balance, TPS etc

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=13426&st=0

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12056

cheers for that, kinda wish I only read the 1st posts tho... cos now Im more confused.

Anyways, I havent tried anything as yet cos the balance pipe had fallen off (to many tempory repairs) so I orderd new header and balance pipe gasgets (was concerned the leaks would up set tuning) all sorted now so will look into the balancing of the TB's in a week or so.

• 3 weeks later...

and if you are ever lucky enough to come across an old mercury filled carb balancer snap it up!

If you buy a TwinMax it will make balancing your tb's a lot easier. They're less than $100. Just google twinmax and you should get all the info.