Square Head in Round Head Clothing

drewscura

I noticed the other day, MG cycle is selling an adapter for putting Round head valve covers on a Square head. Or the other way around.

I was wondering if anyone has witnessed this. I'm a bit curious as to how the round cover looks on the squared head/cylinder.

My Scura lost a battle with a Benz in August. The left valve cover is one of the casualties. So I'm thinking of doing this crazy round head thing. Or just picking up a set of the big GUZZI covers.

And in addition, you round-head-ulate your square head thus:

PG06-motor.jpg

PG06-topfraes.jpg

His web site here

I've even thought about rounding out the head and the jugs. I wouldn't know where to begin with that though. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask my local maching shop.

Thanks for the link. That's definitely shoved me in that direction.

I've even thought about rounding out the head and the jugs. I wouldn't know where to begin with that though. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask my local maching shop.

Thanks for the link. That's definitely shoved me in that direction.

I'm not knowledgeable about CNC, but is it possible that the fellow who did the rounded square heads in the photos could email you the CNC instruction file that would instruct the milling machine after it had been clamped into place with the correct cutting tools in place?

I'm not knowledgeable about CNC, but is it possible that the fellow who did the rounded square heads in the photos could email you the CNC instruction file that would instruct the milling machine after it had been clamped into place with the correct cutting tools in place?

That sounds like the idea to me. So I guess I'm on the hunt for a local CNC machinist.

Tried filing Aluminium, it soon clogs up the file.

One of these surform files work great for removing a lot of metal in a short time.

http://www0.epinions.com/Stanley_Surform_File_Shop_Tools

Roy

You ought to fill the file with chalk or wood before you start filing. And then keep it in contact to the surface also while you pull it back. This also helps to keep the swarf out.

Hubert

I'm probably the only one who thinks this is all obscene, but there it is. Go all the way and put the exposed hairpin valvesprings of an early Falcone, too!

Greg. I am surprised by your response. A waste of time perhaps, but for a man with your aesthetic sensibility I would have thought you first to admit the squarehead no longer worked after they moved past the angular body styling of the 80's and ealy 90's bike. By Daytona's and certainly the '00+s LeMans and Cali's would have done well with a return to rounded fins IMO.

You ought to fill the file with chalk or wood before you start filing. And then keep it in contact to the surface also while you pull it back. This also helps to keep the swarf out.

Hubert

Try an anluminum file and (at least for me) avoid pulling the file back along the work - dulls the file. Learned this at a metal-forming class by an aluminum craftsman. Search on Tinmantech, his tools are well researched and fairly priced.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this is all obscene...etc...

:o Obscene! - why? Re-styling some bits of mass produced metal ?

I think the motor in the pix looks good. You're comparing an aesthetic choice (well, apart from the negligable reduction in cooling) with change to technology/function/performance - although I guess if someone wanted to do that - that'd be fine too. It's their bike.

Exposed flywheel anyone? :wacko:

KB :sun: