Stelvio

Dan M

The Stelvio is on the cover of this months Motorcycle Consumer News. (US) I have not had time to read through the test but a quick scan spots words like impressed, perfect, comfortable and excellent.

Anyway, nice to see a Guzzi on the cover of anything not to mention a very favorable report.

:bier:

The Stelvio is on the cover of this months Motorcycle Consumer News. (US) I have not had time to read through the test but a quick scan spots words like impressed, perfect, comfortable and excellent.

Anyway, nice to see a Guzzi on the cover of anything not to mention a very favorable report.

:bier:

I really want one, but no dealers, more complicated engine, more expensive parts and extras that for a tourer I'd like it to be easy to live with, a hot mama like my V11 is another story ^_^

I like it. Seems they got it together on this bike, proper bag options, good mounting system, clean overall, accessability. I am a sucker for a single sided swingarm too. Also the tire rim sizes mean that front end wont feel so spindly, probably just my lack of road time with tall hoops but I have never felt confident with the 21 inch front rim on the big heavy trailies that I have been on. 21 is great on light dirtbike that is where they should stay. I like the fact that it is a 19 up front you should be able to jam this bike into the bends. That rim size is a more honest clue to what these rides do excell at and not some fantasy tank that when loaded is downright hazardous on anything more complex than a logging road. Odd looking fairing though (to be polite) but it is unique. No mistaking that coming towards ya, kinda like the SP1000. Its not a belly button, its a Guzzi! Too many of the same old, same old out there. This looks like a proper travelling bike, gotta go test one. Mods I can see already, front fender extender and flat black mud guard mounted on the CARC covering the offending tyre surface. :2c:

For an "adventure" bike (what a dumb name, like sport utility vehicle) it is nice. But I prefer normal, useful bikes. I have no use for an over weight, over priced, too tall, behemoth in dirt bike clothes. Regardless of the brand. I just need an engine, two wheels, and something ridged to connect them. The V7 Cafe/Classic is very nice. My wife may buy one. But I wish it had more power.

You mean to tell me you wouldn't buy a KLR with 15 in. of ground clearance,lower it 10 in. ,load it down with 450 lbs. of gear (junk) and ride 2500 mi. on the highway (in the name of adventure)?

You mean to tell me you wouldn't buy a KLR with 15 in. of ground clearance,lower it 10 in. ,load it down with 450 lbs. of gear (junk) and ride 2500 mi. on the highway (in the name of adventure)?

I think the KLR's are hideous but so many swear by them. So many more swear by overpriced BMW's also, The stelvio is hardly cheaper than the beemer and much more than the KLR, Ideally I'd like a KTM thats more road biased than they offer, maybe in the future so I don't know what I would really do and the good news is I don't have any money in the near future so the decision is simple. I just have to love what I got and deal with it. I applaud anyone who can criss cross this country on a motorbike of any kind and wish I could.

I havent ridden the Strevio yet, but I have sat on one a few times and really like the way it feels. I think its a sharp looking bike too .. the led taillights look cool, lots of Italian style, big bike attitude. Probably too big for my 5'8 height around town but out on the open road I bet it rocks.

I rode a KLR from Prudoe bay to Anchorage. About 1200 miles, far more than half of it unpaved and have to say they are capable bikes that are pretty much bullet-proof. There were 2 KTMs with us, both had issues. 4 BMW GS' - two 650s and two 1200s, they were reliable although the 1200s were too much bike in the mud.

If I were to have only one bike a GS1200 may be it. They are comfortable, have enough power, handle really well and have enough suspension for unpaved roads.

Not the prettiest though...

When you put it like that it seems like a great idea....

No, I have no use for a two wheeled SUV.

Some people do, like Dan M. I love the idea of riding Alaska, but until then, no two wheeled SUV's for me. Although I do like the look of the Stelvio, it is just too tall, too heavy, and two impractical (as most SUV's are) for me.

...but out on the open road I bet it rocks.

I bet it feels like it rocks, but you would likely get left behind by a normal bike and its superior handling.

I bet it feels like it rocks, but you would likely get left behind by a normal bike and its superior handling.

Of course you would, if you only ride on pavement it doesn't make any sense to grab one of these types of bike. I agree most of the "Adventure" monsters probably don't see much dirt or rock. Nothing rules the bends like a dedicated road machine, but if you start venturing out a little further ie fly rod and tent on back of bike and end up on stretches of disused logging road camped beside a lake, then one of these starts to come into its own. This is the reality for me anyway riding about BC, Wa, Idaho. I seem to be riding stretches of back country more and more in order to string together interesting trips from one twisty piece of pavement to the next. Personally I will take the gravel stretch over the 4 lane alternate (unless very short) as they are usually fun and no boredom is encountered, I mean clipons in the gravel is entertaining! Although I have had logging truck drivers laugh themselves half out of their cabs as they roll past me pulled over to let them by covering me with enough dust to fog the guages, I know it is worth it. I always thought the Yamaha TDM was a good idea when it first appeared, supermoto became popular and demonstrated the advantages of a longer travel suspension. My Lemans has done the gravel and rock trip, and no bike is more rewarding for me when I do hit the little 2 lane twisties. These roads however are not well maintained and as you bucket about over them, well I anyway wonder about longer travel suspension. My V11 works an absolute charm usually but more trips means more territory, more territory means alternate road surfaces. I think that was what the marketers were getting at when they came up with "Adventure". Whether you take advantage of it or not is up to you. I only managed 10000k last season, but 24000k the season before soon put me into the "ok been down that one too many times". Lets face it, we need more than 1 bike, why do they have to cost so much?