possible timing cover leak

badge502

No patching.........If you don't feel froggy, take it to MPH. See if they will let you watch wile they fix it. The worst thing about MotoGuzzi is the fact they are the simplest bike being manufactured. You wiil (after you get over your fear) love working on this engine.

Although MPH is in Texas, they are still about 250 hundred miles from me...

Im going with the external sealant method... I dont think I could hose it up any more than the previous guy, and I could learn a little bit more about this creature.

We'll see how it works out this weekend... If I hose it up myself (it could happen), Ill be the first to eat crow, and let you all know about it. If I fix it, the drinks are on me... :bier:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... As far as I can see, the pros tend not to contribute, with the well-known exceptions. ....

Hey, you had your bikes at the Pros, you wouldn't want them to participate or even contribute here, would you? On the other hand: who knows how many pros leach here and then do to the bikes what they've found :grin:

Hubert

I removed all the stuff that the previous owner had used to seal the area of the leak... It came off mostly in one big rubbery piece, then I went after the area with a razor blade, brake cleaner, and a toothbrush. I got ALL the gook off of it, and took a look. I saw nothing that would indicate a bad gasket, no pieces sticking out, no unfilled gaps, nothing... And that kinda makes me wonder if that is where the oil is coming from in the first place. BUT, I got all the stuff off, cleaned the heck out of it, then blew it dry with a compressor, and re-applied some silicon material at the seam. I did it in three applications over about 10 minutes, and used a gloved finger to press the material down in the seam between the cover and the case. Im going to let it "cure" til this afternoon, then start it up and see what happens. I would just about bet money that there is going to oil popping up from somewhere else. I did see a area on one of the oil lines (I replaced one of them already) that looks a little shady, so I might just go ahead and swap that out too...

Thanks for your help, keep your fingers crossed. I might have to pull the tank to see if I can get a better look down in there at the top of the motor to see if I can see anything suspicious...

I removed all the stuff that the previous owner had used to seal the area of the leak... It came off mostly in one big rubbery piece, then I went after the area with a razor blade, brake cleaner, and a toothbrush. I got ALL the gook off of it, and took a look. I saw nothing that would indicate a bad gasket, no pieces sticking out, no unfilled gaps, nothing... And that kinda makes me wonder if that is where the oil is coming from in the first place. BUT, I got all the stuff off, cleaned the heck out of it, then blew it dry with a compressor, and re-applied some silicon material at the seam. I did it in three applications over about 10 minutes, and used a gloved finger to press the material down in the seam between the cover and the case. Im going to let it "cure" til this afternoon, then start it up and see what happens. I would just about bet money that there is going to oil popping up from somewhere else. I did see a area on one of the oil lines (I replaced one of them already) that looks a little shady, so I might just go ahead and swap that out too...

Thanks for your help, keep your fingers crossed. I might have to pull the tank to see if I can get a better look down in there at the top of the motor to see if I can see anything suspicious...

I'd just say that it would have been useful to run the engine before applying the sealant.

Yes, you would have had to clean it all over again if oil came out.

Did you check the timing case screw holes for leaking oil and also the tightness of the screws themselves?

As the previous owner applied stuff to the joint, it's a good bet that's where the leak is though.

Good luck!

Gentlemen !!! The drinks are on me!!! :bier: I took it out ran it for an hour or so, and it was dry as toast, no leaks!!! Thank you all very much for your help!

Good news. Well done. Hope it stays good.

• 2 years later...

Wow, I only just start a new topic, and I find this one.

Call me a coward, but I'll try the external cure myself , and see what happens. My problem is definetly a leaking gasket, as you can see bits of it protruding.

Ratchet really was a d**k, wasn't he?

(sorry Jaap).