Odyssey PC545 question

dhansen

For many reasons I had not taken the battery out of the V11 Sport yet for this winter. I did this afternoon and was surprised to find a bit of liquid in the tray under the battery. I sprinkled a small amount of baking soda in the liquid and confirmed it was acidic from the resulting foam.

Obviously, I'm now wondering if the darn thing is leaking a little. The battery is 1-1/2 years old with two riding seasons on it and has always functioned as it should. I can't see an obvious leak point but there was what looked like condensation on the bottom of the battery case. I left a message with the Customer Service folks at Odyssey so we'll see what they say.

Anyone else ever find moisture under their battery?

TIA, Dennis in Maine.

This goes for ANY sealed battery: if the battery case is leaking fluid, replace it. Whether Odyssey warrants it or not is another story. you want to look to see if the seat pan rests on the battery case to decide what needs to be done.

The seat pan is not rubbing on the case, I did a little clearance work when I got this new battery.

There is no visible damage, no apparent leak that I have found, yet there is moisture under the battery.

Guest ratchethack

Don't know if you have the OE hugger in place or not, but I just gotta ask the obvious, Dennis.

Even with the hugger, the rubber battery tray will naturally tend to catch water thrown up by the rear wheel?? :huh2:

If I was H2O sloshing around in a battery tray for awhile, I reckon I might get a little acidic meself. :huh:

The PC545 is meant to be completely sealed and completely leakproof, but is it? These AGMs gas less, but are they absolutely, completely leakproof? I know there has been discussion here about this before.

The Odyssey label warns to charge in a ventilated space, wash hands immediately after handling etc.

What happens if it is seriously overcharged? Is it going to explode... or is it going to vent?

Although several of the manufactures claim that their sealed batteries can be used in any position this is simply not the whole truth. All lead-acid batteries make hydrogen gas while being charged; therefore even sealed batteries must have vents to prevent an explosion in case of over charging. If the battery is lying on its side, then liquid acid could come out during the venting process. It’s therefore best, if possible, to always keep the terminal side of the battery on top, especially if one of your reasons for using a sealed battery is less damage from battery acid.

?#1 the whole philosiphy behind a sealed battery is to maintain the gas in the battery package so you will not have to add distilled water to the battery. The charging (and discharging) process generates the gas and it would normally go into the atmosphere.

?#2&3 This statement releases them from liability if you are charging the battery and striking matches within an inch of the battery. You don't want battery acid in your eyes or on your skin. I don't think you are going to overcharge a battery unless you charge it at 20 a. for a few days. I hope no one on this site is that stupid.

If you have ever had a battery explode within a 12 in. of your face you will understand just how combustible hydrogen is.

I don't think you are going to overcharge a battery unless you charge it at 20 a. for a few days. I hope no one on this site is that stupid.

If you have ever had a battery explode within a 12 in. of your face you will understand just how combustible hydrogen is.

No, in any sort of normal practice it's not going to happen. I just mean from their safety design point of view is there a means to vent built in – to allow for the unlikely event that the battery would ever be overcharged? If so, that could be a leak source?

The other option is to design it truly sealed and then risk it exploding. I'm suggest that they might not do that, because of H&S legislation concerns?

In any normal use these batteries are effectively sealed, they don't gas much and the gas is recirculated. However if a 'safety vent' system is present and develops a fault, it could allow the escape that people have reported. Just conjecture.

I don't know what I did with my old one. If I had it, I'd investigate. I wonder what the join is like between the case and the top?

They are vented, of course. It's described in the manual. The valves are simple rubber caps.

If you can't find a leak, wash and dry battery and tray and put it back for observation. If you will find fluids again after some time make a warranty claim. If you can't see the leak, they might also be unable to find one. Then the valve mechanism is faulty and it's a warranty thing. I'd try it. In Germany/Europe we have a 2 year warranty, so after 1 1/2 years time is definitely running.

BTW: I ended last season with a hands up regulator. I noticed it only after the second bulb in a row gave up early. I checked the voltage and found it going up top 18V. The interesting thing in this regard is that my 2 year old Odyssey still is dry outside. Inside hopefully not ;)

Hubert

I have same thing happening. Can't see source. Not impressed. KB :sun:

Good, I'm not alone then Baldini.

Ratch, I'm thinking along your line too. I have added an additional inner shield to cut down on the amount of water and road grit that is spit onto the shock and battery but, despite the new shield, there were a few bits of grit under the battery and I assume some water got up there too. It isn't a big stretch to think that water could have picked up some acid from the battery.

After all what I know the batteries found in Guzzis are of the air-acid type. Inside acid, outside air only. If you have an acid-acid one then it's the wrong type and should be replaced. The more common sealed acid-air units usually don't turn rain into something that bites.

Hubert

The PC545 is meant to be completely sealed and completely leakproof, but is it? These AGMs gas less, but are they absolutely, completely leakproof? I know there has been discussion here about this before.

The Odyssey label warns to charge in a ventilated space, wash hands immediately after handling etc.

What happens if it is seriously overcharged? Is it going to explode... or is it going to vent?

I can tell you exactly what happens: When you walk into the shop in the morning, it smells like battery acid. You realize you've porked the pooch and shut off the charger and look at the battery. The case is distorted hot to the touch. It now will leak if you tilt it to the side. This was a 14-amp rate overnight.

So, I peeled back the label on my battery to see what I could feel under it. This port appears to be completely sealed but I wonder if this is supposed to be some sort of vent? Absolutely no sign of moisture here. It is interesting that there appears to be a shallow channel in the plastic that would allow gasses to escape from under the label. (There is adhesive on the label around the port. It decided to stick to the battery in the corners rather than pull away with the label).

103525.jpg