tips for big bore?

peterguzzi

Hello Gents!

Thinking about a big bore for my centauro monster i am now looking for big bore pistons....any tips? It would be a great help :D

And yes....i have a connect with this forum: the six gear :P

An indication about my centauro monster: Afbeelding008xstrasmall1488x11.jpg

Plus to make it even more complicated....I had the idea of building a daily ride so i at least had something to ride...i failed :( so now i have two bikes in varouis states of not finished!

The ''daily'' ride: Afbeelding038.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know about the cog forum, don't you? You can stay here as well of course :)

Discrimination....he doesnt want me here :angry:

Just kidding...i just look for info at any place i can think of and i do like the V11 :D I only have the problem that i cannot leave a bike as it originaly was cause there are always things i want to chance...its a disease that costs money and time and thats also the answer for the why i takes so long to have a riding bike :huh:

Also have a discussion with ''my'' technician about the use of Carillo's....he claims that the original Guzzi ones are strong enought to use in a big bore and wants to blueprint evreything inc the rods but i'm not so sure about this?

Thats what i think too but like i said...the technician says that those revs are not so high compaird to other bikes. I'm also not much of a racer its more the building than using it to the edge. I'm not trying to invent the wheel again but there's so much i dont know....just by trying and asking i learn :D

Biggest issue you're likely to have if you try to take it to 9,000 is that the oil pump will cavitate and you'll end up running big ends if you do it regularly. If you are looking for maximum grunt rather than outright HP which on any Guzzi is always the msot sensible way to go I'd think camming it up is the way to go, see if you can get a set of 'C' kit cams from somewhere then jump for a Tuneboy or some other suitably fully manipulatable ECU controller.

IMHO Carillos are over-rated but if you're going for 9,000 aftermarket rods of some sort are worth it. If you do go for 'rillos I suggest that you check them for out of round on the big ends before you install. I've seen quite a few sets now that were out by up to a thou which is a bit sad really given their reputation. Nice people to dealw ith though.

Pete

Thanx Pete...These are the things i can work with! Like i said...i'm not going for the red zone / 9000 revs! I didnt know that the C kid cams still were avalable!!!

I have the C kit ecu here but that nothing more than the normal ecu with a different mapping?

Thanx Pete...These are the things i can work with! Like i said...i'm not going for the red zone / 9000 revs! I didnt know that the C kid cams still were avalable!!!

I have the C kit ecu here but that nothing more than the normal ecu with a different mapping?

Correct, the mapping is the difference. C kit cams might not be available, but mgs01 cams are. And cheaper then the c kit ones. I just ordered a set to see if they deliver them.

To be honest I don't think the 'C' kit is worth the time, effort or bother. Most of the people I know who have changed on way or the other actually preffer the standard 'A' cams.

If you want to mess about with the fueling I have a PCIII for a Hi-Cam that I aquired by a long and circuitous route that I won't bore you with. For reasons I also won't bore you with I'm selling it and donating the money to 'Medicienes sans frontiers' for the Haiti appeal. So far nobody has put their hand up so if you're interested make me an offer. It's brand new, still in the box and cost me about $3-400. I think the Hi-Cam PCIII is model specific so it won't work on the pushrod models, (I'm not sure of that though.) and they don't make 'em any more.

pete

Correct, the mapping is the difference. C kit cams might not be available, but mgs01 cams are. And cheaper then the c kit ones. I just ordered a set to see if they deliver them.

Interesting stuff..

Paul do you have the timing diagram of the MGS cam compared to the A cam? (i think my 93 daytona engine has the A as stock)

The bike runs out of puff above 8000rpm,and has plentyfull below so trade some bottom power for top end would be no problem.

Hi Paul! Long time no see/talk!

You know i just fool along compared to you guys so thanx for the advise!

In a way i ''know'' a company who claims to build custom cams and want my to be big bore for testing so maybey in time i have more info about this!

To be honest I don't think the 'C' kit is worth the time, effort or bother. Most of the people I know who have changed on way or the other actually preffer the standard 'A' cams.

If you want to mess about with the fueling I have a PCIII for a Hi-Cam that I aquired by a long and circuitous route that I won't bore you with. For reasons I also won't bore you with I'm selling it and donating the money to 'Medicienes sans frontiers' for the Haiti appeal. So far nobody has put their hand up so if you're interested make me an offer. It's brand new, still in the box and cost me about $3-400. I think the Hi-Cam PCIII is model specific so it won't work on the pushrod models, (I'm not sure of that though.) and they don't make 'em any more.

pete

Messaged ;)