Minor sorting - V11 Sport

Bbennett

Not a big deal but my final mods for the winter (here in the USA) were done this week;

1. New gel saddle from Rich's (black stitching and black leather). It feels a bit better and is easier to move around on. I hope the big difference is on long rides.

2. I went to a 150 size tire in the rear - am amazed at the increased agility compared to 170. I believe this tire has a more constant profile as it feels "the same" at all lean angles and also tips in very easily.

Here are two shots with the seat cowling removed.

Note: The front end was done earlier this winter - I have Aprilia RSV front forks now. Not the result of a crash or anything - my old shocks were tired and I just wanted an affordable set of shocks with adjustable compression and damping on each shock. I was going to paint the front fender but heck I am just leaving it for now as the color is not a bad match for the frame. The front wheel is from a Norge.

MG_V11_Feb2010.jpg

MG_V11_seat.jpg

That is all.

Very nice. The new Guzzi front wheels are a good bit lighter then the older ones and that along with your better rear tire profile should result in a quicker steering but more stable bike. Good job.

I am guessing that you came across an Aprilia fork at a great price? GSXR forks are usually cheaper and more available. But I like the black forks. I believe it is the same front end as my Griso.

Interesting mirror set up. What is it?

I assume the rear cowl fits over the new seat?

Guest ratchethack

Nicely done, Bob. :thumbsup:

Your move to a 150 on the 4.5" rear is the first I've heard about.

I salute your resistance to the popular GROUPTHINK poser compulsion of going to a handling-killing "wide butt" rear. <_<

Gotta ask. Wot was your objective in selecting a 150 over the more common (yet still narrower than OE) 160?

Nicely done, Bob. :thumbsup:

Your move to a 150 on the 4.5" rear is the first I've heard about.

I salute your resistance to the popular GROUPTHINK poser compulsion of going to a handling-killing "wide butt" rear. <_>

Gotta ask. Wot was your objective in selecting a 150 over the more common (yet still narrower than OE) 160?

My objective with the 150 tire was quicker turn in. That is accomplished but since I have not ridden on a long distance trip yet, I do not know the implications (possibly negative?) on other aspects of the handling. You know that little S turn maneuver some people do to "warm up" their tires before a turn? Well this bike feels like it can do almost double the # of turns in the same distance - it is dramatic. I grew up with dirt bikes and own an Aprilia RXV 450 so I am used to narrow rear tires.

I think I paid only $325 for the forks.

Yes the cowling does fit over the new seat but it is a tight fit and the cowling currently leaves a small dent in the leather after it is removed. I also have to admit that the cowling slightly intersects the seam - but this is obscured by the strap. I use the strap for carrying helmet cover, hat etc.

The new front wheel is not appreciably lighter than the old one unfortunately.

My objective with the 150 tire was quicker turn in. That is accomplished but since I have not ridden on a long distance trip yet, I do not know the implications (possibly negative?) on other aspects of the handling. You know that little S turn maneuver some people do to "warm up" their tires before a turn? Well this bike feels like it can do almost double the # of turns in the same distance - it is dramatic. I grew up with dirt bikes and own an Aprilia RXV 450 so I am used to narrow rear tires.

I think I paid only $325 for the forks.

Yes the cowling does fit over the new seat but it is a tight fit and the cowling currently leaves a small dent in the leather after it is removed. I also have to admit that the cowling slightly intersects the seam - but this is obscured by the strap. I use the strap for carrying helmet cover, hat etc.

The new front wheel is not appreciably lighter than the old one unfortunately.

Strange, my Griso front wheel feels a good bit lighter then my wifes V11 front wheel with the exact same tire on it. Haven't measured the difference as I didn't care that much. Keep in mind that one or two pounds difference in weight for a front rim is a lot.

Most 150 rear tires are made for a 4.5" rim so your choice makes sense to me. A 160 is the more common choice as it is also usually made for a 4.5" rim (it is what I have done) but a 150 should be plenty for the V11's power output and weight and should increase steering response and improve stability. It may wear a little faster then a 160 but that is just a guess and I doubt the difference will be significant.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange, my Griso front wheel feels a good bit lighter then my wifes V11 front wheel with the exact same tire on it. Haven't measured the difference as I didn't care that much. Keep in mind that one or two pounds difference in weight for a front rim is a lot.

Most 150 rear tires are made for a 4.5" rim so your choice makes sense to me. A 160 is the more common choice as it is also usually made for a 4.5" rim (it is what I have done) but a 150 should be plenty for the V11's power output and weight and should increase steering response and improve stability. It may wear a little faster then a 160 but that is just a guess and I doubt the difference will be significant.

My original posting was wrong - it is a *Norge* front wheel. Sorry about that. I now have several hundred miles on the new tires and really like them alot.

Cheers,

Bob

Neat, Bob! Thanks for posting the changes. As RH, this is the first I recall of anyone fitting a 150. I sure hope you'll keep us posted on your impressions.

Which tire make/type did you fit? And 150/60 or maybe 150/70?

• 1 month later...

My objective with the 150 tire was quicker turn in. That is accomplished but since I have not ridden on a long distance trip yet, I do not know the implications (possibly negative?) on other aspects of the handling. You know that little S turn maneuver some people do to "warm up" their tires before a turn? Well this bike feels like it can do almost double the # of turns in the same distance - it is dramatic.

OK, well this answers the next question I had regarding the handling of my '02 Lemans V11. She seems hesitant at first to go into a turn, I really have to get my butt on to one side of the seat and 'press' on the tank with my opposite knee for her to begin to obey... Must be that fatty tire on the rear, huh? I was experimenting with the steering damper - loosening and tightening it, it sure made a difference, but did not solve the problem at hand.

OK, well this answers the next question I had regarding the handling of my '02 Lemans V11. She seems hesitant at first to go into a turn, I really have to get my butt on to one side of the seat and 'press' on the tank with my opposite knee for her to begin to obey... Must be that fatty tire on the rear, huh? I was experimenting with the steering damper - loosening and tightening it, it sure made a difference, but did not solve the problem at hand.

Hi Jamie,

Guzzi went to a wider rim & tire combination in '02 so you can't drop down to a 150 like Bob did. Most of the guys here with the later bikes that have tried dropping a size from 180/55 to a 170/60 have really liked what it did for turn-in (including me). Obviously if your rear tire is squared off from too much straight line riding that will have a huge negative effect on turn-in too.

The best thing you can do to help handling is to get your suspension adjusted correctly. There's lots of info on setting sags and making damping adjustments here if you do a search. Another thing you can do to help turn-in is raise the forks 10mm or so through the triple clamps, but don't try that until you have your suspension sorted first.

Red fender looks great IMO...........Tell us more (better pictures) about the mirrors

Hey RoyB, If your looking for mirrors I just fitted the Harley basic long stem Mirrors in black. They fit in the lever holes no problem, two minute job. They look much better than the original and dont vibrate too bad. Of course I do have the Convertibars that reduces vibration..

HD mirrors highly recommended, did I mention they are only $37 each..

The best thing you can do to help handling is to get your suspension adjusted correctly. There's lots of info on setting sags and making damping adjustments here if you do a search. Another thing you can do to help turn-in is raise the forks 10mm or so through the triple clamps, but don't try that until you have your suspension sorted first.

Went for a ride yesterday, but after the most basic and important maintenance procedure that one can do... I inflated both tires to the proper psi :doh: - They looked fine, but both front and rear had less than 18 pounds! All handling issues have magically disappeared. As my Dad used to tell us, "When you hear hooves pounding, don't think Zebra's until you're sure they're not horses"

Went for a ride yesterday, but after the most basic and important maintenance procedure that one can do... I inflated both tires to the proper psi :doh: - They looked fine, but both front and rear had less than 18 pounds! All handling issues have magically disappeared. As my Dad used to tell us, "When you hear hooves pounding, don't think Zebra's until you're sure they're not horses"

That's certainly cheaper and easier than replacing tires and respringing your suspension! Now go have some fun on that Scura :ninja: