Tire Pressure

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

I'm just wondering about the basics of tire pressure. For instance, my max psi rating on my Dunlops is 42psi. Is that the same for all sport type tires?

I have run them at 42, but my last few rides were at 39 front and back. I can't tell any difference. Can you?

Also, what changes should I make for temperature. If it is very cold out should I run less pressure, or should I fill them right up to 42? Is cold air 'thicker?' I know planes take off and land better in cold air. But pressure is pressure. I don't get it.

What would be a 'good' pressure for grip in fast corners? Which pressure would you consider unsafe?

Finally, I know from bicycling that high or max pressure gives a very harsh ride. If 42 is a 'stiff' ride, what pressure would be the most 'plush' ride yet provide safe, sporty handing?

Tyre (correct English spelling ;) ) pressure? 'how long is a piece of string' type of question. I've always run my V11 at 32psi front and 36psi rear all year round. If loaded with luggage and covering long distances at highish speeds I'll increase them both by 4 psi. At these pressures, the bike has always felt stable and tyre wear is reasonable.

Softer tyres ^_^ will tolerate higher pressures before significant traction loss. But adding a few pounds to extend tire life is a lousy trade if you lose traction.

I think I was running 39 psi front on the Michelin Pilot Roads when the traction went away. I'm now determined to run softer tyres ^_^ and Guzzi pressures ( 34 fr/37 rr).

Tire pressure is both a personal preference, and determined as optimal by the tires, geometry, weight, and suspension of a given bike.... but one thing I have learned from the suspension classes I've attended, *never* use the "max pressure" recommendation on the sidewall as benchmark for optimal pressure.

This pressure is determined by the manufacturer to set the upper limit for inflation and load, not performance.

That being said, the general ranges of pressures noted above in the mid 30's is what I've typically seen for street bikes, and recommended for ours. Find the exact values that your tires work best for you.

al

Guest Brian Robson

MG's recommendation for the Bridgestone 020's is as the handbook states 32F 36R.

Since new I've run the tyres at this pressure, and they grip and wear well.

Always set the pressures cold at whatever the ambient temperature.

Guest Jeff Kelland

ditto, 32 front, 36 rear, always checked cold. I have noticed a slight cupping on the front but I'm afraid I'll lose front grip if I increase the pressure.

Guest captain nemo

Wow, and I've been running 42psi front and rear in 80 mph sweepers. That's spooky. Still, very stable. Of course, things are all rosey until it all slips away. I'll go down to 34/36 now. Thanks everyone.

Apparently, the way to set tyre pressures is to measure the cold value and compare it with the value after a good romp through your favourite twisties. The values shouldn't differ by more than 10%.

If they do, then incrementally increase the cold pressure until the variation stays in the 10% range. I've been running 34/43, but think it's time to recheck whether I can sustain the variation at lower pressures. I want to stay upright!

Guest Brian Robson

43 psi on the rear? Running more than the recommended fully loaded maximum pressure on the tyre must give an interesting wear pattern.

Is that the cold pressure Dave?

I run 36 rear and 34 front psi =/- 2psi as you cannot get accurate readings. Anywhere in that range should be fine. Reasonable wear on my 2 sets of Bridgestones. I am going to try Pilot Roads next as a friend has had almost 2x normal life on his BMW RT

Yeah, my Pilot Roads have 2000 miles on them and look great. I'll be taking them off the rims soon to give them to someone who never corners deep . I have no doubt that a softer, grippier tire would have kept my head guard off the street.

docc, The Asphalt Rub-Club <_>

Guest captain nemo

If I've been running 42 psi in fast corners, I take it my Dunlop 220s are pretty nice sport tires. I also like their deep, wide sidewalls. Can't wait to see how they act when I let out air.

Guest Brian Robson

If you run 42psi in fast corners, how long does it take you to let out some air and go through slow corners? And doesn't this make a long ride a little tedious? :lol: