Oil pressure light problems

Mulatron

Hi there - 2000 V11 sport owner here just fired the old beast up after standing for a time. The oil pressure light is doing some weird things and I wondered whether others had experienced the same. First oil light wasn't on when I turned on ignition (charging light was though). Engine started and sounded good but then I noticed oil pressure light came on but faintly. Switched off then switched on again and oil light is and at correct brightness. OK try starter again and oil light goes off but then comes on again faintly. Again I switch off and switch on ignition again and oil light is there at correct brightness. Clearly I don't want to risk totalling the engine but I suspect this isn't oil pressure problem but the sender unit or a bad earth or something similar- anyone got any useful way of diagnosing sender unit or checking oil pressure

all help gratefully recieved

Tim

Hi there - 2000 V11 sport owner here just fired the old beast up after standing for a time. The oil pressure light is doing some weird things and I wondered whether others had experienced the same. First oil light wasn't on when I turned on ignition (charging light was though). Engine started and sounded good but then I noticed oil pressure light came on but faintly. Switched off then switched on again and oil light is and at correct brightness. OK try starter again and oil light goes off but then comes on again faintly. Again I switch off and switch on ignition again and oil light is there at correct brightness. Clearly I don't want to risk totalling the engine but I suspect this isn't oil pressure problem but the sender unit or a bad earth or something similar- anyone got any useful way of diagnosing sender unit or checking oil pressure

all help gratefully recieved

Tim

Tim,

Turn the ignition switch to the on position. The oil light should be on and bright.

Remove the wire from the oil pressure switch. The light should be out.

If the light was on dimly with the key on, remove the wire at the oil pressure switch and ground it to a good (earth) ground and see if the light is bright. If so it is the oil pressure switch.

p.s. I had this problem and it was the oill presure switch..

update

thanks for the advice so far - I tried earthing the wire to the indcator light and sure enough it lit up nice & bright so suspect oil pressure switch is at fault (can't undertake switch test recommeded in manual as I don't have the right equipment). i'll order a new one and report back when fitted

Tim

update

thanks for the advice so far - I tried earthing the wire to the indcator light and sure enough it lit up nice & bright so suspect oil pressure switch is at fault (can't undertake switch test recommeded in manual as I don't have the right equipment). i'll order a new one and report back when fitted

Tim

The oil pressure switches are prone to failure as they hate water(it gets in past the connector)so if you ride in the wet they don't last, I've just killed mine again just by washing the bike,not jet washed, just a bucket and sponge !!(to be fair it wasn't a genuine part)

There is a BMW switch that fits, it switches at the same pressure but has a spade not bullet connector, I can't remember the model.

My Ducati used to have the same problem, riding in the rain for more than a couple of hours would usually result in the light coming on dim and eventually the switch would fail.Ducati have a modified switch with a waterproof connector(stolen from a Fiat or Alfa no doubt) that can be retro fitted so hopefully it should be fixed, the Guzzi uses a different thread so this switch can't be used :bbblll: .

These switches have a small ventilation hole on top of them. It's small, but as the internals of this part are moving, water, cleaning solvents etc. are sucked into it. Either go and search for the mentioned small black rubber condome or glue some sort of labyrinth on the housing. I found this rubber part and never had a problem again.

This doesn't mean the switch won't become leaky one day. Don't know how to fix this. All I can say is: it makes a huge mess once it happens.

Hubert

Would heat shrink tubing work for this sort of problem? Slip it over the connection, fasten the electical connectors and then heat shrink the tubing? That (in theory) should completely solve the problem. After looking at my bike I would mske the shrink tubing at least 4 inches long snd that should put it up snd out of the way of any water that finds its way into the pressure switch area.

I never get my bike wet...but if I start riding in the rain I'm going to try this fix myself.

update

Tim

Tim

The inter-moto oil pressure switch, part number 50570 is the same switching pressure as the Guzzi one but has a spade type connector.

Readily available in all good moto-factors (hopefully)

wits

Tim

The inter-moto oil pressure switch, part number 50570 is the same switching pressure as the Guzzi one but has a spade type connector.

Readily available in all good moto-factors (hopefully)

wits

Thanks for that,that's the one I used last time, it looks like its for a 1990 BMW 320 if you car spares shop can't look up part numbers.If I remember correctly I went through the parts book at my local car spares shop until I found the correct thread size and switch pressure but could not remember the details (I think I kept the box somewhere and was going to hunt for it) but now I can get one on my way home tonight :thumbsup:

edit I've just checked and the box I had kept has part number 50720, so this may be the correct one.

edit of the edit !!! 50720 is no longer available but 50570 is, the spec looks similar so should be ok.

well as suspected it wasn't a catastrophic oil pump failure...once the new oil sender unit was in the oil warning light behaved perfectly and i suspect water ingress (as suggested by luhbo & pasotibbs) was to blame. Used a spark plug socket to remove & replace - in minutes.

thanks for useful advice

Welcome.

3 days ago I heard from some bloke who's light came on right 10 minutes after he had changed his oil. Light on and el. pressure gauge down to zero. With all his forum background the only reason that came to his mind was "catastrophic oil pump failure". It took two days to convince him that a bad switch might be the fault more likely. In fact he only changed it after turning the engine with one valve cover removed had shown there was enough oil circulating for at least 1.5 engines.

Nogbad called this "Guzzichondria".

Hubert

Welcome.

3 days ago I heard from some bloke who's light came on right 10 minutes after he had changed his oil. Light on and el. pressure gauge down to zero. With all his forum background the only reason that came to his mind was "catastrophic oil pump failure". It took two days to convince him that a bad switch might be the fault more likely. In fact he only changed it after turning the engine with one valve cover removed had shown there was enough oil circulating for at least 1.5 engines.

Nogbad called this "Guzzichondria".

Hubert

Oh my! :o One time I was curious about the oil pressure so I loosened the oil filler cap/dipstick with the engine running. Needless to say I didnt have to even get the stick pulled out before I was screwing it back in. I wonder how much of a mess the new 8v engine would make? Doesnt it have two pumps?

I've got it. I've got it bad . . .:o

I used to have it w/past Guzzi's but not since I got this 2002 V11Lemans, knock on wood! It's the best Guzzi I've had out of a half dozen...

IMG_0232.jpg