Setting spring pre-loads, Cafe Sport 2004? Rear access

neophyte

Well I'll get right to the heart of the matter.

My Front Ride Height (F1-F3): 43 MM

My Rear Ride Height (R1-R3): 38 MM

I weigh about 190 lbs and am 5 foot 9 inches tall - stocky. I don't really have enough riding experience to diagnose if I need more this or that on my settings, but I would say I wondered about the rear.

I have a hunch or feel it kind of squats down maybe more in back, and maybe I sense a little understeer or maybe not....that is just my ignorance.

Freeing up grabbing brakes:

I did not find a suitable tool on hand to rotate the buttons but with patient penetrant application and mallet tapping I feel I freed them up pretty good and hope brake grabbing will be abated.

How to measure sag with a book bag and a little sister:

I took careful measurements of the front and rear unloaded (I have a stand). I then loaded up a backpack with Guzziology, Pons full size German-English dictionary, some tomes on unreadable things in hardcover, put my riding jacket on, and then I sat on my guzzi in best riding position - although with my left hand on a wheelie bin to steady the bike, while my little sister took measurements with the tape like I instructed her to do. Her numbers were in the right direction and she couldn't be too far off the mark. But lets say +/- 2-3 mm:

Anyone have thoughts on how to proceed? What say useall about my measurements?

Thank you in advance,

To adjust preload, I just tapped adjuster & lock rings around using a large flat screwdriver. I think I just removed seat, & lifted rear of tank a little. Be slow & careful so's not to damage anything.

KB :sun:

To adjust preload, I just tapped adjuster & lock rings around using a large flat screwdriver. I think I just removed seat, & lifted rear of tank a little. Be slow & careful so's not to damage anything.

KB :sun:

Thanks Baldini, I may try that if I decide I don't want to mess with removing tank. I don't have a garage to work in and the weather looks spotty so may try this route.

Here I thought the airbox had to come off as well . .

None the less, Increasing your preloads will certainly help the sag. Your target numbers are around 25-30 mm (25-30% of travel) and , some say, a bit more sag to the front. An extra 5mm makes the street more friendly.

The final solution will be correct springs for your riding weight; likely something a bit stiffer than your stock fitment.

I found that increasing fork preload on the soft front springs for my 180# weight limited rebound travel enough to scuff my leathers. . .:o

The only time when the airbox absolutely has to be removed is if you want to remove the rear shock (I had to replace mine under warranty). Either way, it's a PITA to adjust shock preload. Wonder why in the world they put a C shock spanner in the tool kit (which doesn't fit the Ohlins anyway).