Removing "pork chop" side plates...

al_roethlisberger

Well, I just got my valve covers back from the powder coaters, and the color turned out quite nice. But as expected, they don't really match the side plates.... but then again the OEM red valve-covers and side-plates don't really match either :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was thinking I might one day coat/paint these side plates to match the valve covers more closely.

My question is: How does one get the side plates off of the bike without essentially having the bike "break" in half, especially since the factory shop stand supports the bike at the nuts/bolts at the bottom of the pork-chop? Any special tips or experience on removing them?

thx

al

Or see 'crabbing the spine frame' on this forum.

You're looking at removing the tank and airbox then slinging the frame from above. The swingarm can then be removed and the side plates are easy access.

Be sure to use the proper size flagon. :drink:

I fairly certain that you don't have to remove the tank and stuff, although that would add very little to the task and probably make it easier. If you have or have downloaded the V11 Sport Maintenance Manual (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/v11manuals/) you can see the basic stuff on pdf20 with Acrobat Reader. It looks as though you have to remove the exhaust, block up the rear of the engine/transmission, remove the swingarm and then unbolt every thing attached to the plates. Not having a lack of thumbs (10), and being ambi-klutzrous as well as digitally dyslexic, I would say that it would take about 3 hours to get the plates off.