Earths

Baldini

There is a small threaded lug on the front frame just behind the oil cooler left side on mine. 5mm, I use it to ground the headlight relays. I am also putting an additional ground from Reg to Bell housing (aft) :thumbsup:

no, the small black wire earths the rectifier.

On my bike this one was under one of the horn mounting bolts, looks like 18 AWG or similar not big enough IMHO. The same current flows here as in the 30Amp fuse circuit. I beefed this up with a cable from regulator fin to one of the timing cover bolts

Roy

For the past couple of weeks I have been chasing a elusive fault, battery goes flat, the engine spits and starts every now and then and the tacho occasionally drops to zero.

This evening I strapped my multimeter to the tank ad connected to the two red wires from the regulator, the negative terminal I put under one of the radiator screws.

I expected to see the battery charging but to my surprise the voltage would jump from 12-15-10-13 all over the map.

From this I have deduced that I have a bad ground somewhere, this would explain at least the charging and tacho, hopefully the missing also.

If you think your relay bases are a problem see my thread on overhauling the bases, about 2 hours work

Hope this helps

Roy

Most of the grounds (earths) are back through the harness to the (nefarious) stack of terminals on the battery. The regulator and the instrument illumination both, apparently, ground to their mounting. the whole system does benefit from enhancing the ground paths, from anchoring the bulb holders in the instruments to adding a ground strap between the engine and frame, or building a junction block to get the terminal stack off the battery.

Because the engine is "stressed" and becomes a conduit for earthing, it's probably good medicine to remove/clean, and apply copper anti-seize to the frame mounting bolts.