V11 sport Cut out problem

nose2wind

I have a 2000 v11s with 66,000 on the clock.

The bike starts and runs great but has developed a cut out/off. By that I mean you could be running fine in a straight line or in a corner and the bike will cut out and back on, as if you reached up and hit the kill switch off and back on. It will do this a couple of times and then may be fine for 30 minutes and repeat. It may also occur from a dead stop but seems to occur more often while at speed. Once I had the bike die completely and would not restart. Got the bike home, recharged the battery and it started up fine.

The neutral,kickstand, and kill switch seem to work as they should but I have not tried to bypass anything yet. I have moved the relays around with no luck.

Any ideas on where to start? I suspect something electrical. This one is tough because I cannot simulate the problem in the garage. I will have to make a change and go ride to see if the problem will occur.

Thanks,

Birddawg

Ive had a simular problem and have had the relay base conections replaced which has solved the problem.although the conections apeared to be fine on inspection.It would worth getting them checked as its not a rear ocurence and its an easy fix.

Older (Tonti) Guzzis are famous for having the main wiring connector at the back of the headlight getting corroded or coming loose. It causes exactly those symptoms...especially on sharp left turns (like across oncoming traffic...ask me how I know). So, check any exposed connectors as well.

When the engine cuts out do you loose the lights?

If so I would look for a broken wire to ignition switch at the steering.

If you pull hard on each wire it usually shows up.

I have been going through similar with my bike, 70,000 kM but I think it's a lack of good ground somewhere.

I suggest you read the thread "Earths" & "Electrical Nightmare"

Roy

It is, quite simply, a sign: that you should bring your RedFrame to the South'n Spine Raid. It's been too long since you've been soaked to the bone having to endure an unendurable pace complicated by Norges and EVs.

No, really, you should come on over. . . (again)

(Glad to see you on the forums!) docc

It is, quite simply, a sign: that you should bring your RedFrame to the South'n Spine Raid. It's been too long since you've been soaked to the bone having to endure an unendurable pace complicated by Norges and EVs.

No, really, you should come on over. . . (again)

(Glad to see you on the forums!) docc

Checked all the wiring main connectors etc. relay block etc. All looked fine no corrision or worn wire or loose connections. Battery connections fine also. Decided to move to the kick stand cut off switch.

Bypassed by opening the connector and bridging the terminals.

4 mile test run and no cut outs. Need a longer run to make sure as sometimes it takes awhile to surface but encouraging non the less.

Hey Docc, when is the spine frame this year? Got a new Buell Uly (couldn't resist the give away pricing). However I still love taking "Kermit" out. That is why I need to get it reliable.