This is Weird

Kiwi_Roy

For the last couple of weeks after a ride in warm sunny weather I kept seeing what looked like rain drops on top of the tank. At first I thought I must have run through a sprinkler.

Now I'm starting to think its drops of oil.

My bike has no cover over the air filter element under the tank. The breather hose from frame to filter box is in place.

I know for sure it's running rich.

What do you gurus think it could be? :notworthy:

Roy

Fork top caps? Most engine leaks would not end up on top of the tank. Brake or clutch reservoir, or even hoses? Scary thought...

Looks like water drops but seems to be oil when I wipe with paper towel, i think brake fluid would lift the paint.

For the last couple of weeks after a ride in warm sunny weather I kept seeing what looked like rain drops on top of the tank. At first I thought I must have run through a sprinkler.

My bike has no cover over the air filter element under the tank. The breather hose from frame to filter box is in place.

What do you gurus think it could be? notworthy.gif

Roy

What does it taste like?

Looks like water drops but seems to be oil when I wipe with paper towel, i think brake fluid would lift the paint.

No paint to lift on our tanks...

That breather hose goes pretty far forward up towards the front of the frame...did you check the condition of the hose up there? Seems unlikely, but you never know...

What does it taste like?

Yes, that was my first thought, hard to define there's not enough to get a good taste, obviously not poison :rolleyes:

When I blotted it up looks like oil on paper.

Mu thoughts were its spraying out the cutout at the front of tank and getting thrown back by the wind.

It looks very clear like water, could it be a residue from unburnt fuel, I'm using about 30% more than I should.

Roy

Is your fuel cap drain in order? I think I've had some water work its way up from the bowl after parking in rain. Maybe turbulence could spread it so it's not obvious.

Oh, and have you tried riding with a full face helmet and see if the problem moves inside? Braaaampampampambraaaaampa :bike:

Oh, and have you tried riding with a full face helmet and see if the problem moves inside? Braaaampampampambraaaaampa :bike:

What are you trying to say, I'm drooling again?

Could be tears of frustration perhaps :rasta:

When I was a kid we used to say the Norwegians put their windshield wipers on the inside. I'm sure they said the same about Swedes, that's how it goes.

Seriously, the more I think of it, the more I recall actually seeing water drops 'popping up' from around the fuel cap, from the Bernoulli effect, when riding after a rain or wash or after some gas spill in the bowl. There is always some left that didn't go down the drain pipe.

My tank has a fat vinyl pad inset into its top. It acts to trap water that vibration + wind can dislodge.

Sounds like it's only a possibility if you wash this thing. :huh2:

:doh: I never thought of that, yes I did wash it down with the hose a couple of weeks ago, it's probably full of water.

I will pull it off tonight. I assume it's held in place by the tank fitting.

Just ignore me next time I ask a stupid question.

Cheers

Roy

:doh: I never thought of that, yes I did wash it down with the hose a couple of weeks ago, it's probably full of water.

I will pull it off tonight. I assume it's held in place by the tank fitting.

Just ignore me next time I ask a stupid question.

Cheers

Roy

It's a kind of press fit; be gentle as it's possible to rip the anchors out of the pad.

I'm pretty sure I had the same "stupid" question some years back and eventually stumbled onto this *feature* accidentally. Living my life by tenacity or stupidity: at this point I'm rarely able to differentiate.

What do you gurus think it could be? :notworthy:

Roy

What kind of tree are you parking under? I sense it could be pitch/sap from trees - spring time they tend to exude lots of liquids!

What kind of tree are you parking under? I sense it could be pitch/sap from trees - spring time they tend to exude lots of liquids!

Tree sap, horrible stuff. But mostly sticky, so I think it's not the case here.