Clutch adjustment...

Fred C. Dobbs

On my Ballabio there is a headless screw recessed into the body of the clutch lever. The screw is secured with a clip that passes through the lever. This screw adjusts the depth at which the clutch lever depresses the plunger on the master cylinder. My clutch has gotten a little bit out of adustment--it was not comletley disengaging with the lever fully pulled in. I screwed the screw in so that it depressed the plunger on the master cylinder further, and now my clutch is fully disengaging as normal. I am assuming if run the screw in too far the clutch will begin to slip, so there must be a fine line to establish. My shop manual does not mention how to adjust clutch actuation so I am guessing this screw is all I have to work with. Am I going about it the correct way? Many Thanks.

Just remember like with brakes, you need a little free play. Otherwise the hydraulics will not work as they should. This will be an issue before clutch slip is.

That little screw governs the clearance between the hydraulic piston and the actuator. If there is no clearance between the two or it is screwed in too far the clutch hydraulics will pump up like a hydraulic jack. I don't think you will like that.

A couple other issues to consider when clutch actuation degrades:

1) Bleeding the fluid about once a year is helpful. In fact it's easiest to get to when you are changing the rear tire.

2) There have been a couple reports of broken springs inside the clutch master cylinder which shows up as excessive play at the lever. It may be time for a master cylinder rebuild. See this thread :Bled Clutch . . .

A hydro clutch SHOULD be self adjusting. If it has gotten out of adjustment then something is likely wrong with it, like old fluid or air in the system.

Thanks for the replies. The clutch problem did not begin until after I changed out the fluid. I have bled the system repeatedly, both at the bleed screw on the slave cylinder and at the banjo fitting on the master cylinder. I must have a small bit of air stuck in the master cylinder. When I adjust (in) the screw in the clutch lever to remove all free play the clutch will fully disengage, but then I am left with no free play. I just have to figure out how to get the air out the the MC. Some have suggested pushing fluid thru the system forcing the air out the clutch reservoir. I will try that next.

That's also when my problem showed up. I assumed it had to do with something I had done in the flush process, but not so: it was the broken spring inside the master cylinder. (see the thread above "Bled clutch . . ." just in case you have the same affliction.