Speedometer repair

docc

First Veglia was replaced under warranty at 27,000 miles for waivering 10 mph at highway speeds. The new speedo waivered at low speed, which was more acceptable. Until the trip meter locked up and the needle starting flicking 10 mph every four seconds (44,821 miles). Upon disassembly I managed to break both the reset and the glass. The little plastic gears inside look less than perfect.

I have ordered a replacement (298 USD + S/H and a couple weeks), but I wonder if anyone has successfully had a Veglia rebuilt or should I just convert the space to something more useful . . .

IMG_0065.JPG

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First Veglia was replaced under warranty at 27,000 miles for waivering 10 mph at highway speeds. The new speedo waivered at low speed, which was more acceptable. Until the trip meter locked up and the needle starting flicking 10 mph every four seconds (44,821 miles). Upon disassembly I managed to break both the reset and the glass. The little plastic gears inside look less than perfect.

I have ordered a replacement (298 USD + S/H and a couple weeks), but I wonder if anyone has successfully had a Veglia rebuilt or should I just convert the space to something more useful . . .

The trip on mine is shot and the numbers are almost faded away 70,000 kM. I don't know much about its history but there was also a few little gears that came with the bike, the way the speedo cable is arranged is less than stella. It would be nice to find an electronic replacement. Perhaps an electronic pair that drop in to replace both instruments. or a complete dash,

I must say though I prefer to keep the original retro look. In the meantime you have put yours to good use.

• 1 month later...

Had mine opened recently. recalibrated and closed . Expert work. Can't even tell they had been touched and now are steady and accurate.

Google Otto Instruments in Brisbane Australia.

Allan K

Hey Doc, I sent my speedo to North Hollywood Speedometer once. Came back fine but has some similar problems again. I think you did the right thing going new. It cost almost as much to ship and repair with no Gaurantee.

Birddawg

I also have talked with North Hollywood Speedo about either refurbishing the stock set-up, or more likely, replacing the guts with more reliable internals. He (the gentleman on the phone) said he wasn't sure what could be done but that he was willing to try. I have almost pulled the trigger on a motogadget setup at least three times, but have stayed hopeful that I can get the Veglias to operate correctly. Maybe I should just give up the chase on getting these things to work correctly. :huh2:

I also have talked with North Hollywood Speedo about either refurbishing the stock set-up, or more likely, replacing the guts with more reliable internals. He (the gentleman on the phone) said he wasn't sure what could be done but that he was willing to try. I have almost pulled the trigger on a motogadget setup at least three times, but have stayed hopeful that I can get the Veglias to operate correctly. Maybe I should just give up the chase on getting these things to work correctly. :huh2:

So what would they charge to put some other internals and re-calibrate. That might be the way to go if the price is right. You get a decent speedo that looks great. A new Veglia is gonna go south eventually and $300.00 a pop

Birddawg

So what would they charge to put some other internals and re-calibrate.

What about finding a speedo from a J4-branded bike or a Harley that is the same form factor so it is an easy swap out? Then it's just an issue of recalibration, vs. having to open up the PITA Vagueliar and replacing its guts & suture.

A cheap, widely obtainable total replacement seems to be a more appealing solution vs. having to mess further w/ the stock clocks. Added bonus: you can keep the stock clocks for replacement when you're taking your Guzzi on the concours circuit 30 years from now... ;)

What about finding a speedo from a J4-branded bike or a Harley that is the same form factor so it is an easy swap out? Then it's just an issue of recalibration, vs. having to open up the PITA Vagueliar and replacing its guts & suture.

I can never get the search function here to do what I want but I know I wrote something a few years back about replacing my busted speedo.

I put a white faced Autometer speedo on my Scura and use an industrial hall sensor to run it.

The Autometer speedo is not designed for 'outdoor' use and it does get moisture in it. So far this hasn't been a problem beyong the face fogging up.

If I recall correctly the housing even had a little drain hole in it.

It's a white faced with (non fading, I might add) flourescent needle with a chrome bezel. It's a resonably close match fo the original

I used the sensor number GS100502 on this page to drive it.

http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/sensors/Speed_Direction/gs1005_1009.htm

If you read through the little bit of technical info on that page it mentions using a pull up resistor which I didn't do initially and I got a bit of electrical noise that made it occaisionally behave more like a tach than a speedo.

Once I installed the pull up resistor it's been great.

I drilled a hole in the rear brake hanger and positioned the sensor to read the heads of the disc mounting bolts. It's only 6 pulses per revolution but it works at anything over 5 mph.

If I can come up with a cheap and easy to mount ABS ring from some bike I'll swap over to that but for now this works fine.

So, the new Veglia is "fixed", meaning it rather (somewhat) shows the speed , nearly. Rolling away from a stop it wags wildly.

I do love the look of the white faced clocks. And while the Veglia was down, the Garmin ZUMO presented a perfect dashboard. I could ride on with confidence using the satellite link. Except that the ZUMO locked up and had to be sent in for remediation, perjunctivication, or forpostification, or for whateverthehell they do to electronic devices that no longer function.

For the record, both of my Veglia Speedometers outlasted the ZUMO 550.

So, the new Veglia is "fixed", meaning it rather (somewhat) shows the speed , nearly. Rolling away from a stop it wags wildly.

I do love the look of the white faced clocks. And while the Veglia was down, the Garmin ZUMO presented a perfect dashboard. I could ride on with confidence using the satellite link. Except that the ZUMO locked up and had to be sent in for remediation, perjunctivication, or forpostification, or for whateverthehell they do to electronic devices that no longer function.

docc,

have you lubricated the speedo cable? You can pull the inner portion out (while watching for little washers that may or may not be there) and put Lubriplate engine assy. lube into the cavity and reinstall the cable. You cannot get too much grease in here. This should help.

docc,

have you lubricated the speedo cable? You can pull the inner portion out (while watching for little washers that may or may not be there) and put Lubriplate engine assy. lube into the cavity and reinstall the cable. You cannot get too much grease in here. This should help.

I wiped the cable down liberally with RedLine ShockProof. I do have some CRC engine assembly lube "with moly-graphite." You think maybe i should completely coat the cable with this?

And, will it work on my ZUMO?:rasta:

docc,

I wiped the cable down liberally with RedLine ShockProof. I do have some CRC engine assembly lube "with moly-graphite." You think maybe i should completely coat the cable with this?

And, will it work on my ZUMO?rasta.gif

Yes, put plenty on,in & at the cable.

As for the Zumo, if you find a cable there, lube it.........