Speedometer repair

docc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, this hurts. The NEW speedo began to wag wildly more. I discovered both the upper and lower bevel drives were loose and tightened them ( the upper is bound to the back of the speed with two slot screws). Being a rather impatient sort, I filled the cable housing with engine assembly moly lube as well.

The stability of the needle was really amazing! Right up to the point where it quit while I was actually watching it at speed! NERTS!

Taking it all down, I found the lower bevel drive had stripped a gear. I replaced it with one from my 10 year collection. Tomorrow I'll take it out for a throw.

What is the proper grease for those gears (nylon, no)?

Oh, this hurts. The NEW speedo began to wag wildly more. I discovered both the upper and lower bevel drives were loose and tightened them ( the upper is bound to the back of the speed with two slot screws). Being a rather impatient sort, I filled the cable housing with engine assembly moly lube as well.

The stability of the needle was really amazing! Right up to the point where it quit while I was actually watching it at speed! NERTS!

Taking it all down, I found the lower bevel drive had stripped a gear. I replaced it with one from my 10 year collection. Tomorrow I'll take it out for a throw.

Those 2 little angle gearboxes are the pits, I toyed with the idea of doing away with them and having a straight cable, You would have to ditch both so the drive remained in the right rotation. It would probably require a longer cable to sweep around at a decent radius. For now I will just put up with my Heath Robinson repair.

I would suggest Lubriplate (brand) white grease.........