Sag Revisited

Guest captain nemo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest captain nemo

Here, then, is a good question:

Which would be better - a rear spring that provides the correct sag with NO preload? OR, a rear spring that provides the correct sag with much preload?

If the correct answer is the first choice, then we all need to find a stiffer spring. I wonder why Guzzi would make such an obvious mistake.

I, I, Captain,

The stock Sach travel is 60mm., so the total rear travel is 120mm. I believe the spec. is 128mm. but not on my 2000 V11Sport.

I think you should recheck your sag a different way. By using your method, measuring at the rear fender may throw off the measurements. I always measure at the rear axle, which is where the swing arm travel is at.

I use a piece of masking tape and install it level to the ground on the rear tail section. The tape measure should be at 90 degrees from the ground. Check the bike with the rear wheel off the ground. Call this measurement A. Next with the bike on the ground and no rider, balance the bike and take another measurement. This is measurement B. Subtract measurement B for A and this will be your static measurement. Now get on the bike with riding gear and take another measurement. This is measurement C. with rider. Now subtract measurement C form A and this is your rider sag. Take these measurements and lets talk. :thumbsup:

Mike

Guest captain nemo

Mike,

Now we are getting somewhere!! This is certainly a different method and I will try it tomorrow. If your are the one pulling the wheelie in your avatar and also the one off the ground in the racing picture, then :notworthy: I will bow to all of your future suggestions.

Thanks a million for your clear photo. It really helps, and I want to get to the bottom of this.

Mike,

Now we are getting somewhere!! This is certainly a different method and I will try it tomorrow. If your are the one pulling the wheelie in your avatar and also the one off the ground in the racing picture, then :notworthy: I will bow to all of your future suggestions.

Thanks a million for your clear photo. It really helps, and I want to get to the bottom of this.

Captain,

While I can loft my front wheel on my Aprilia from a stop and I have lofted the front wheel off the ground on my Rosso going uphill on tight twisty roads, I must admit that the avatar is not me. The picture of the gentleman in the air is on a Raceco prepared bike in action. Yes, it does raise the hair on the back of my neck!

Take the measurements so we will be on the same page. We can go on from there. A picture says a million words...

By the way, I will be 47 in January! :bier:

Mike

Guest captain nemo

My birthday is Jan. 26. Except for Billybob Hagen, am I the oldest guy here? How about Carl. He keeps saying he is an old geezer; is he older? If nobody told me any different, I would say I'm still 24. :thumbsup:

Looks like many of us are juggling the balance between fat tired bikes and fat, tired riders. :lol:

docc, 46 on nov. 26, still rubbing and scrubbing :bike: