Sag Revisited

Guest captain nemo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain,

There are two ways that I know for checking front fork sag. The way I do it is by placing a nylon tie around the fork leg right below the fork seal. Stand the bike up so it is balanced, the fork seal will push the nylon tie down the fork leg. Now put the bike back down on the side stand. Raise the front of the bike off the ground ( I use a jack under the engine while the bike is on the side stand, be careful!) Now measure from the fork seal to the nylon tie, this is your static sag. To get the rider fork sag, push the nylon tie back under the fork seal, now apply the front brake and sit on the bike being careful not to bounce down on the front forks. Put the bike back on the side stand and raise the front wheel off the ground and take your measurement, this is your sag with rider.

The other way to measure fork sag is to raise the front of the bike off the ground. Measure from the fork seal to the lower part of the fork leg (measure just the chrome section of the fork leg. This is dimension A. Now stand the bike up and try to balance it and measure the chrome section of the fork showing again, this is dimension B. Subtract B from A and that is your static sag. Now measure the chrome fork leg with rider, this is dimension C. Subtract Dimension C from A and this is rider sag.

Give it a try and if you have any problems, I will take a few pictures.

Mike

And forks are more difficult to measure because of stiction.

I think one technique is to measure the sag with the stiction holding low and then the stiction holding high. Repeat enough times to average out.

David jumped ahead and is explaining the advanced way to check fork sag. :D Captain to check it as David said, just push down on the bike and let the forks come up with and with out your weight on the bike to get the rider and static sag. The measurements will be higher than the readings in the last post. Just average out the difference between the two methods and that is your sag.

The rear sag should also include this to take in account for stiction of the shock and suspension drag.

Just to confuse you more!

Mike