Clutchless upshifts?

tom3

I understand that clutchless upshifts may be largely a personal preference. I've heard people say that they never use the clutch after the 1-2 shift, and I've also heard people say that the clutch is there for a reason, so you should always use it. I personally never do it on purpose, but have done it a couple of times on my Guzzi.

Preferences aside, would upshifting without using the clutch cause damage to the V11 sport (whether due to model specific reasons, or to all bike in general)?

thanks!

I don't see why it would cause problems if you do it properly. I can envision expensive damage if one shifts poorly. I learned on old 3 speed trucks and farm tractors to mesh gears and rpm or the Dad yells at you. :) I use some clutch anyhow in just about every shift, but as you say, that's my preference.

Adding to JRT's comments, I have torn the transmission up on just about everything I have been on. After doing everything wrong I now am an expert on how to do it right.

You can upshit and downshift w/out using the clutch. The only experience needed is(which sounds reasonable enough) to do lots of practice. It's like practicing throwing hand grenades. You will get good or kaboom!

The question that first comes to my mind is, Why would you want to? I can understand clutchless shifting if/when racing, but I don't really see it on a Guzzi, expecially when street riding. But maybe I'm just being naive, and there really is a good reason to not use your clutch on these bikes.

I have done plenty of clutchless shifts, but usually it was on a dirtbike or a roadrace bike. But I do find that the smoothest shifts on a Guzzi seem to be when I use the least amount of clutch possible. If you can smoothly shift with no clutch at all the it is true that there would likely be no harm done. But the odds of things not going smoothly resulting in increase wear and tear on your trans seems higher when you shift with out the clutch.

Personally I use a minimum amount of clutch. Using no clutch isn't going to automatically blow up your trans. But it does increase the risk in my opinion. In the end you pays your money and takes your chances.

Don't always use the clutch on the MGS going up its fine once the gearbox is run in on a new gearbox it tends to argue a bit/doesn't want to do it. I do still unload the drive train though. So momentarily back off the throttle with the gear lever preloaded change when it wants to back on it. The biggest problem with the older Guzzi's and the five speeders was if you got one of the neutrals lurking in the gearbox with no rev-limiter it was very easy to bounce and bend valves and do other damage. The six speeder does it relatively easily weather there is much to be gained from it dunno.

• 1 month later...

The question that first comes to my mind is, Why would you want to? ....

For looking cool maybe? Don't know what else would make sense. It works, it's even easy, but why would you really want to? I'm sure that overall it's more stress for all parts in the drive train than a proper use of the clutch. Even for the clutch itself.

Hubert

I learned to ride in the dirt, I never used a clutch then so I guess some of it is force of habit. I never really thought about it much before now. I've been riding this V11 for about 15k miles now and haven't had any gearbox problems as of yet.

To me it just seems that it shifts easier going through the gears when you find the sweet spot.

I learned to ride in the dirt, I never used a clutch then so I guess some of it is force of habit. I never really thought about it much before now. I've been riding this V11 for about 15k miles now and haven't had any gearbox problems as of yet.

To me it just seems that it shifts easier going through the gears when you find the sweet spot.

I've been upshifting and downshifting on my V11 Le Mans for 6 years now. I do it with all bikes. Never had a problem - although the sloppy gearbox on the Bavarian Money Waster (R75/5) takes a bit of getting used to.