Sidestand bracket lower screw--sump thread busted

tmcafe

Hello everybody,

As you may see in the pic,

IMG_3334.jpg

part of the bump with the inner thread in which the sidestand bracket lower screw goes into the sump broke off. I'm thinking of using some filler (I got something like Steel Putty, some JB Weld), then drill and tap (don't have a tap). Or should I use one of those thread repair inserts? What's the best way to fix it?

Thanks!

That looks like an ideal job for JB Weld. Once applied and cured, it can be drilled, tapped, shaped and painted.

Did it get bumped somehow?

Do I see a Roper Plate? That's probably the culprit. Not that there's anything wrong with them (I have one too), but the hole in the sidestand mount should be slightly enlarged. Due to tolerances, some bikes are in more need of doing this than others.

part of the bump with the inner thread in which the sidestand bracket lower screw goes into the sump broke off. I'm thinking of using some filler (I got something like Steel Putty, some JB Weld), then drill and tap (don't have a tap).

Is there still enough threads that the bolt can get purchase & hold everything together securely? If so, you don't really need to drill & tap: give the bolt & anything else you don't want the JBWeld to stick to a light but thorough coat of grease or oil and then put it together, mush the JBWeld in place & wait for it to cure. Voila! You've got threads in your JBW... Gotta be "vewwwwy carefuw" [as Elmer Fudd likes to say] not to JBWeld everything together so you can't get it apart again, which is where the "thorough coating" w/ release agent of everything that may come into contact w/ the JBW that you don't want it to stick to comes in.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it did get bumped homer.gif (sidestand, that is, so indirectly the bracket, screw, &c). And sure enough, that's a Roper plate. I did enlarge the bracket hole with a Dremel, but perhaps not enough. As far as whether I have enough thread left in good shape for a partial JB Weld job, without filling completely, drilling and tapping, here's some more pics, hope they could give you a better idea (in retrospect, I should have removed the bracket to take the pics but was in a rush). The screw thread got effed too, as you can see. I'll be getting a new one soon.

So what's your assessment? Thanks again.

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg