Horns are Flaccid

mznyc

My Fiamm horns are usually loud enough to wake the dead,but recently while driving by a friends shop I hit them and thought they sounded weak.Chalked it up to being up to speed,earplugs in.Went to get an inspection sticker a couple of days later and hey weren't working but you could hear something being engaged down by the horns when you hit the button.Later that day they started to work again but weak,like holding a pillow over them.Blew some electrical cleaner into the button and it's contacts but no change.

How could I test to see if I have correct volts to horns?

Thanks,

Michael

Pretty simple to do a "voltage drop test." Simply test the voltage across the battery with a digital VOM, then across one of the horn's contacts. Even with the bike not running, I would think the voltage should be with in 1.0 vDC.

Are you running fused relays with a frame ground, or still routing all current through the switch?

This is the reference thread for Serious Horns

First disconnect the wire(s) at the horn. Use a 3' jumper , hook to the battery + and touch the other end to each horn. You will know immediately if the are working. If this is o.k. go to step 2.

You could use a test light to test for proper v at the horns. disconnect the wire to the horn(s),connect the test light to the wire and press the horn button. If there is a good light, you have a horn problem.

If you do not have a good light, sawp relays first then go to the wiring diagram to test for problem(s).

I bought a pair of FIAMMs and they lasted exactly one season. Both were completely dead next spring, not a click. I threw the stock ones back and relayed them instead. They may not be the loudest on earth but they've been in service for 14 years now.

BTW this reminded me of this link, it's hilarious: http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php

Har har! best horns I've heard have been in Greece and India. Indians are musical, lots of notes and a bus in Greece had this Watermelon seed spit sound pppttt!!! Loud enough to be real effective, still my favorite. Like spittin em outa the way PPPPTTTT! :D

Hi Guys thanks for the advice,I'll take a look at her tomorrow.

Docc I don't know if there is a fuse,relay,or ground on it as the PO installed it.I'll find out tomorrow.