Rear monoshock woes

yamalama

My '03 Lemans rear shock has started to leak oil. 5800 miles.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Can it be rebuilt? If so, by whom?

Anyone have an extra one laying around?

Cannot afford the $1200 plus shipping/taxes for an Ohlins, if I can even get one.

What Is there a difference between 46hrcs Ohlins and the MG specific (supposedly no longer available) MG 127?

Any advice/recommendations appreciated!

My '03 Lemans rear shock has started to leak oil. 5800 miles.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Can it be rebuilt? If so, by whom?

Anyone have an extra one laying around?

Cannot afford the $1200 plus shipping/taxes for an Ohlins, if I can even get one.

What Is there a difference between 46hrcs Ohlins and the MG specific (supposedly no longer available) MG 127?

Any advice/recommendations appreciated!

I have a good used spare one, complete from a low mileage 03 Lemans. $275 plus shipping. Let me know if you don't come up with a better alternative.

Bill Bassett

Sorry I can't offer concrete help, but I can at least empathize. Same thing happened with my '03 LeMans at ~ 4K miles, but fortunately was replaced under warranty. Dealer said he'd never seen it before mine :huh2: Anyway, at least the replacement is still going after ~7K miles. If it happens again I might just upgrade to Ohlins or something.

Well. I bought a used one. Had to pay $400. Never heard back from Bill.

We will see how well this one works.

Ohlins no longer makes one for the Le Mans. Out of production.

Apparently the stock one can be rebuilt. $400

• 2 weeks later...

Ohlins no longer makes one but one can be obtained through Moto Guzzi. Order the one for the Cafe Sport. Expensive but you do get value for the money. Spring it right and set it up right, and the rear suspension will be better than on any of the CARC Guzzis with their fancy rising rate link systems.

Ohlins no longer makes one but one can be obtained through Moto Guzzi. Order the one for the Cafe Sport. Expensive but you do get value for the money. Spring it right and set it up right, and the rear suspension will be better than on any of the CARC Guzzis with their fancy rising rate link systems.

Do these come with or w/out spring ? Can you use the rear spring already on the bike?

What kind of feeling did you get when this happened ?

A sickening feeling.

I had just completed some 80-90 mph sweepers.

I heard a rattle. Stopped. Looked.

Not a good feeling.

500 dollars out the window.

Could have died.

Ouch. That looks nasty. My wifes V11 rear shock began to crack at the lower mount (apparently a common issue with the Sachs shock) but I have never seen one fail like that.

The dealer you bought it from is not refunding the money? Jeez, in the USA you could sue them for almost killing you.

My own opinion on shocks is that Ohlins is nice, but they are not the only choice when it comes to quality rear shocks for a V11. When my wifes stock shock failed I replaced it with a Penske. It is as good as the Ohlins, built to my wifes specs (the oem Ohlins is not but can be rebuilt to them for more money), and they were able to build it in a stupidly short time frame (which was important at the time).

I would not waste any money on the stock Sachs shock.

Race Tech is a good company to make you a shock as well. You can probably expect to pay more than a thousand to have a custom shock made with the remote reservoir. A friend of mine got a new one from Maxton without the reservoir for about five hundred if I remember right.

Do these come with or w/out spring ? Can you use the rear spring already on the bike?

Comes with an 8.5 spring. This would work well if you're in the 150-170-lb range.