downshift sticky lever

nuevototem

Hi to all,

My gearbox Works ok but I notice that when I downshift the lever gets sticky at the bottom and a few seconds later get loose… :(

did anyone have this problem? :unsure:

Any experience to share? :oldgit:

Best regards!!!

:mg:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your pawl spring may be faulty. But, before going there, try carefully cleaning, greasing , and shimming (if necessary) the foot lever's pivot points.

Many also report improved function with the RedLine Shock Proof gear oil.

• 4 months later...

Hi to all,

Still having problems any more ideas to check? :luigi:

Best regards! :bike:

I was having a similar problem.

I took a close look and i found one of the breather hoses was rubbing on the pedal.

It doesn't take much.

Roy

Hi Nuevototem

If you do adjust the eccentric adjuster,do it in very small increments then go for a ride.Too much play one way or the other then make an adjustment to adjust.Also make sure the bike is up to temperature.My bike's shifting get's worse when the bike is hot.

I have had my shift lever stick down after a downshift for a second or two in the past, usually only when it was very hot. The last time I replaced my pawl spring I assembled the shifter plate on the workbench with no lube on the shifter shaft and attached the shift lever directly to the shaft (no linkage) so I could check the shifting action and make sure I had the cog wheels indexed correctly before I reinstalled it on the transmission. While doing this I was able to get the shifter to stick in the down postion. I think the spring that recenters the shifter (item 28 below) is really weak. The next time I replace the pawl spring, either because of a break or just because my mileage is getting up there and I don't trust them to last much past 15k miles, I'm going to replace all of the springs in that assembly.

After seeing the shifter not return to center on the bench I removed the shift shaft and greased the bore it rides in before reassembly. I don't recall ever having the shifter delay returning to center again.

BTW, I do run Redline SPH in the box.

shift plate (2).jpg

I have had my shift lever stick down after a downshift for a second or two in the past, usually only when it was very hot.

Tom,

Which is the spring that breaks 21, 25 or 28

Me thinks I'd better be prepared.

Roy

Not to speak for Tom, but I don't recall any spring trouble but with #25. And that primarily with the 2002 variety.

Thanks Docc I will pull the cover off and take a look at that before next season. I read somewhere that the spring has been modified, Is there any way of knowing if it's been upgraded. The PO told me he had some gearbox work done and he gave me a few boxy looking parts in a cardboard box but nothing like No 25 spring that I recall.

I was riding out of town late in the season and came across the only other V11 Sport I have seen, The rider was bemoaning the fact he had just lost a bar end weight, I said I've got one you can have, (I had seen one in the box of bits), he was happy as a clam.

Can't wait for :xmas: I know i'm getting some heated gloves so I can be back :race::D

All the best :oldgit:

I had all the springs replaced (after pawl spring broke) and now it clicks into gear like a swiss clock. In fact I am never quite sure it has engaged it is so sweet (but it does every time). I am currently in that happy but relatively rare state of my bike running superbly . . . now if all this snow would just sod off ! :thumbsup:

It's good to see that more than one person has had positive results with replacing ALL springs, as I have planned to do this because Ive tried everything else that had been suggested.Many people have offered solutions,but nobody had mentioned trying replacing all the springs.Just felt that my problem is lack of tension which is what the springs are supposed to do.May not help me,but maybe we're on to something.Unfortunately snow,work,holidays have prevented me from getting in to it.Hope we'll get a few days of thaw after the holidays so I can take her for a test ride.I like your bench test though Tom :thumbsup: ,I'll be doing that before I put it back on the bike.

It's good to see that more than one person has had positive results with replacing all springs, as I have planned to do this because Ive tried everything else that had been suggested.Many people have offered solutions,but nobody had mentioned trying replacing all the springs.Just felt that my problem is lack of tension which is what the springs are supposed to do.May not help me,but maybe we're on to something.Unfortunately snow,work,holidays have prevented me from getting in to it.Hope we'll get a few days of thaw after the holidays so I can take her for a test ride.I like your bench test though Tom :thumbsup: ,I'll be doing that before I put it back on the bike.

while i'm not an advocate of fixing things when they're not broken, you guys have convinced me. even though my '02 le mans with 16,000 miles shifts flawlessly ,i'll be replacing my shift pawl spring soon. i'd rather do it in my garage than on the side of the road.

i guess this is routine maintainance like the relays, or the 20,000mi. or so transmission spline lube we owners of bmw airheads do.

cheers, steve