Turn signals flash faster as revs go up,..

mznyc

I noticed a while back that my turn signals seemed to flash fast,about 3-4 flashes per second.Never noticed it before,and no one locally has a V11 so don't know if that's normal or not.No filaments out.Anyone care to check theirs and see how many FPS's they have?

Last couple of rides the speed of the flashes coincides with the revs.Once you get over 4K it's just a solid light on the dash and flasher.

Any ideas of what's causing this and what I can check.Please keep in mind that I'm clueless in the electrical department,(ok most departments)so don't be afraid of talking slooowly when explainin',..

Thanks,

MZ

PS After removing tranny cover recently,neutral light was staying on in all gears a few days ago.after bike warmed up.Checked and tightened external connector to switch and seemed to be fine today other than a couple times in neutral it didn't light up :homer: .Don't know if they're related.All other lights seem to be normal.

I noticed a while back that my turn signals seemed to flash fast,about 3-4 flashes per second.Never noticed it before,and no one locally has a V11 so don't know if that's normal or not.No filaments out.Anyone care to check theirs and see how many FPS's they have?

Last couple of rides the speed of the flashes coincides with the revs.Once you get over 4K it's just a solid light on the dash and flasher.

Any ideas of what's causing this and what I can check.Please keep in mind that I'm clueless in the electrical department,(ok most departments)so don't be afraid of talking slooowly when explainin',..

Thanks,

MZ

PS After removing tranny cover recently,neutral light was staying on in all gears a few days ago.after bike warmed up.Checked and tightened external connector to switch and seemed to be fine today other than a couple times in neutral it didn't light up :homer: .Don't know if they're related.All other lights seem to be normal.

No they should only change slightly with revs as the battery voltage goes up a bit.

Are you using regular lamps, old fashion incandescent that is?

Usually indicators flash faster if there's a lamp out, perhaps you have a bad ground to the rear lamps.

Check that your voltage regulator is well grounded and the battery ground behind the seat release key is tight.

This is a long shot but check your battery voltage at revs. It should be 14.0-14.6 volts. In case your regulator is screwed it may be far too high. Might break things.

Ya I was thinking that the regulator may be suspect because of the change with revs.

Roy I'm using stock lamps,and to clarify the lights flash faster,not brighter,well at least not unusually brighter.

Thanks,I'll check volts and contacts on Monday,...

Thanks,

MZ

PS After removing tranny cover recently,neutral light was staying on in all gears a few days ago.after bike warmed up.Checked and tightened external connector to switch and seemed to be fine today other than a couple times in neutral it didn't light up homer.gif .Don't know if they're related.All other lights seem to be normal.

IF the turn signal lamps are not on or on dimly replace the flasher unit. if the turn signal lamps are on or on dimly you have a ground wire problem in the turn signal wiring circuit.

Thanks,

MZ

PS After removing tranny cover recently,neutral light was staying on in all gears a few days ago.after bike warmed up.Checked and tightened external connector to switch and seemed to be fine today other than a couple times in neutral it didn't light up homer.gif .Don't know if they're related.All other lights seem to be normal.

IF the turn signal lamps are not on or on dimly replace the flasher unit. if the turn signal lamps are on or on dimly you have a ground wire problem in the turn signal wiring circuit.

The grounding was my thought too, perhaps at the rear, it may not show up while parked, perhaps when you are sitting on the seat it breaks the rear flasher circuit.

Has to be something simple, I also thought a bad battery/regulator ground might let the voltage float extra high. A new flasher for sure can't go amiss.

Usually indicators flash faster if there's a lamp out, perhaps you have a bad ground to the rear lamps.

Check that your voltage regulator is well grounded and the battery ground behind the seat release key is tight.

Roy where is the ground point for the rear lamps?Is that the one near the seat release?

This is a long shot but check your battery voltage at revs. It should be 14.0-14.6 volts.

Raz I checked volts and got

12.7 cold

13.6 idle

14.8 3K

I assume these are within range,didn't see the desirable volts in the shop manual,didn't understand that chart in there. :huh2:

[

gstallions I assume the lamps shouldn't be on all the time (running lamps),they are not.They flash ,what I would say is a normal brightness,just fast and faster as the revs go up,to the point of being solid by 4K.

The grounding was my thought too, perhaps at the rear, it may not show up while parked, perhaps when you are sitting on the seat it breaks the rear flasher circuit.

Roy the symptoms are the same with me on or off the bike.

MG cycle doesn't list the flasher unit.Is it something that can be obtained from an auto parts store? How much should the MG part be?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions :bier:

Michael

***Update**

Went to the local NAPA store and found the flasher unit.

Flashes now seem normal at idle about 1 PS,still speed up slightly as revs get about 2k+ but no where near as fast as before.

Is this normal,should the flashing slightly increase?

Thanks for the help,

Michael

Raz I checked volts and got

12.7 cold

13.6 idle

14.8 3K

I assume these are within range,didn't see the desirable volts in the shop manual,didn't understand that chart in there. :huh2:

That's perfect. I was worried you had like 18 volts or something at revs.

***Update**

Went to the local NAPA store and found the flasher unit.

Flashes now seem normal at idle about 1 PS,still speed up slightly as revs get about 2k+ but no where near as fast as before.

Great, you are probably set. I haven't noticed such increase but you are probably looking much harder now than everybody else :)

I haven't noticed such increase but you are probably looking much harder now than everybody else :)

That's what I'm thinkin,but always like opinions of those who know more than me.

Flasher relays are voltage sensitive, so yes, it's normal that there would be a very slight increase in tempo in going from idle [where the alternator isn't producing significant voltage & the battery is draining ever so slowly] to >3k rpm [where the alternator is producing output and supplying >12v to charge the battery.] :nerd: