rosso mandello recall action

Paul Minnaert

Al,

You just need to look at the VIN number stamped on the steering head. The last eight digets are the ones you need. My 00 V11 Sport is YM112823 and is in the recall.

Oh no, another 3 months in the shop! :homer:

Is this for the connection rod bolts or for the transmission problem?

Mike

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chatted with Moto Italiano(San Mateo, CA) and they said, yes, there are reports of said transmission recall in Europe, but MGNA is not fielding calls on the transmission recall for the USA yet as it has not yet been issued. So they didn't have any information beyond what we know.

They didn't know anything of a connecting rod bolt recall issue... :huh2:

Also had them call MGNA on the delayed engine-case replacement that was reported from Moto International(isn't this confusing? :lol: ) ...but MGNA hasn't gotten back to them on that yet.

al

I remember , back in the early 70s in Florida, a beautiful Maserati which sat at a local shop for months and months and months and months . . .

My brother said it was waiting for a fuel pump. I always wondered why they didn't fit up a Stewart-Warner pulse pump and drive the piss out of the thing. Maybe they were 'slaves to authenticity.' :pic:

No doubt the 6-speed is a teething exercise. Ten years from now there will be a chapter in Al's book about all the refinement developed by the faithful. :notworthy::notworthy:

Unless you have a biplane awaiting, your Guzzi calls to you. Be diligent, persevere.

Well my VIN is ZGUKRAKR72M114733 so I guess I am exempt from the transmission recall.

Perhaps this is one of the rare cases where owning a 2002 is an advantage? :rolleyes:

al

P.S.

Honda just issued a recall for all 2002+ VFRs, due to the rear aluminum subframe cracking from vibration. So, it's not just us guys ^_^ Even the much vaunted Honda reliability, such as the rectifiers on 98-99 VFRs frying, and the new Goldwing's frame, head, and heat problems... show that all makes can have their share of issues :huh2:

there are reports of said transmission recall in Europe, but MGNA is not fielding calls on the transmission recall for the USA yet as it has not yet been issued.

Had my dealer get on the phone to MGNA.

They said the recall will be issued but it is delayed because the NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) has to give its "blessing" to the action.

Just some red tape to get through.

Al, thought you'd be interested to know that I got a response from MGNA on my "dissappointed to hear about the delays on engine cases" mail. Quoth MGNA, "we're working as fast as we can, details to follow." Great. <_< I've posted my mail and their response here, for your edification:

Guzzi correspondence

• 3 weeks later...

Well OK, Thanks to Paul and Mike I think I am in the recall group! Dunno :blink: whether to laugh or cry.

Actually, I had SEVERE shifting problems between 4 and 5 K miles, but the problems have almost dissappeared since adding REDLINE transmission HD oil.

Paul,

the top line in your post shows 5 numbers after the XM-

I believe there should be 6. Can't find the post on the .it site.

For the U.S. crowd--here's what I know of VIN for our purposes.

All U.S. V11 Sport/Le Mans models through 2002 have vin # beginning ZGUKRAKR,

the 9th digit has no discernible meaning.

10th digit is year model(not prdouction date) x=1999, y=2000,1=2001, 2=2002

11th digit is M for all Guzzis(designates Mandello factory)

12th-17th digits are "serial number" for the particular bike.

Hope this helps folks track their particular bike.

Perhaps the ZGUKS designation is bikes with catlytic convertor??

Looks like we'll be busy for a while...

Todd Haven

MPH Cycles

All U.S. V11 Sport/Le Mans models through 2002 have vin # beginning ZGUKRAKR, the 9th digit has no discernible meaning

My New Zealand lemon also has these sequence at the beginning of the VIN, so these numbers are not exclusive to USA machines.

I understand that the first two letters (from ZA to ZR) represent Italy, and that the third digit "U" represents Moto Guzzi (for Ducati they are ZDM.....). But what of the "KRAKR"? All my Moto Guzzis (past and present) have included the first "K", but then they differ....

Anyone out there able to decipher the code? This ain't the Enigma (I hope) :doh: