Lowering first gear

ScuRoo

:homer: It's a V11 six speed gearbox.[quote name='ScuRoo' date='06 September 2010 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1283792447' post='173713']

I'm going on a long ride with my best mate & I know we will be going over some unsurfaced roads and would like to lower the first gear.

How would I do it?

Well, doing things 'ARD is great. But without making massive changes to your Guzzi about the only thing I can think of to do would be to replace your rear tire with one that is smaller in diameter. You would need to raise the rear back up to maintain your geometry, though. And this would effect not only first but all the gears.

All in all I don't think it is worth the effort.

One 'ARD way is to fit a Convert gearbox to your V11. That will involve replacing swing arm, rear wheel, bevel box, timing chest, camshaft and whatnot :lol:

But if you did, the result would be splendid. Ask FotoGuzzi (though he did it to a 5-speed Tonti which is a simpler task, though not trivial).

I think a convert reardrive will do, but it will need some thinking, to fit. All gears will be lower

I don't know anything about a convert reardrive apart from understanding the convert is an automatic.(?)

There used to be a "Sidecar" bevel gear drive kit but unfortunately it applied to models before the V11 I'm told. (Are there any V11 owners out there with sidecars?)

Respectively:

the V11 final drive cardan shaft with gears is - Ratio: 1:2,9091 (Z=11/32)

the Quota 1100ES final drive cardan shaft gears - Ratio: 1:4,125 (Z=8/33)

This change in gear ratio would suit what I'm after perfectly. Any thoughts on this (ie. could this be made to work)?

What with all the apparent interchangeable nature of Guzzi's there must be a solution to this conumdrum.... aaah!

In that case I would guess a drive from a Centauro or 1100 Sport i.e. is better: Same ratio but more likely to fit mechanically. You'd still need some modifications though. From memory I think the number of splines is different from yours.

I'd say don't bother trying to reduce the gearing. Instead, spend a few quid on getting the injection properly set-up. A properly adjusted V11 will trickle along at little more than tickover with no problems (so long as you don't suddenly decide to give it a big handful). Your bigger problems, if the surfaces are really bad, are going to be weight and unsuitable tyres, and there's not a lot you can do about them.