I'm Leaking

Orson

I'm weeping oil just above the sight glass on the right hand-side where it looks like the clutch cable enters the transmissione. I tried tightening everything I could but, it hasn't subsided. I can still see oil in the sight glass when I hold the bike upright.

I'm on the Isle of Elba at the moment. The nearest Guzzi shop seems to be in Grosseto on the mainland, maybe 2 hours away.

I have another week left on the trip. Do I risk riding back to Parma (maybe another 1500 km) or, should I stop in Grosseto and lose a day while they potter over it?

From your description, I think you mean the weep is around the speedo cable drive (about 4" directly above trans sight glass)? I'm not sure if gbox oil migrates into speedo drive, but if it does & drive is damaged it could be culprit. Bike hasn't had a knock? Sure it's not coming from somewhewre else? How much leaking?

Not likely gear oil will make its way out the speedometer drive as long as the connection to the gearbox is tight.

That is a common point to gather a gooey mess off the bottom of the throttle body. Is it wet up there as well?

From your description, I think you mean the weep is around the speedo cable drive (about 4" directly above trans sight glass)? I'm not sure if gbox oil migrates into speedo drive, but if it does & drive is damaged it could be culprit. Bike hasn't had a knock? Sure it's not coming from somewhewre else? How much leaking?

I think you're right. Sorry for my faulty description. Yes, about 4" above the trans sight glass.

Bike hasn't had a knock. seems to be functioning normally.

It's leaving a shiney residue around the base of the speedo cable drive. When I wipe it dry and continue on for a ways and stop to check, the oily sheen has returned.

I'll inspect it closer to see if there may be a crack somewhere.

Not likely gear oil will make its way out the speedometer drive as long as the connection to the gearbox is tight.

That is a common point to gather a gooey mess off the bottom of the throttle body. Is it wet up there as well?

I'll check that.

Thanks!

I'm checking out of this hotel today and I don't know when I'll get back on the internet. Thanks for all the replies :)

I'll check that.

Thanks!

I'm checking out of this hotel today and I don't know when I'll get back on the internet. Thanks for all the replies :)

Mine does the same and I've always assumed its oil leaking from the Speedo cable, maybe its not but it is such a small amount I'm not worried about it.

Have you recently over lubed the speedo cable? The oil will leak out the angle drive and ooze down the case. Don't ask how I know this.

I have a nice dribble of oil coming out of my angle drive after (over) lubing my speedo cable a couple weeks ago too.

Well, the next hotel has internet :)

Thanks to the replies, I decided to press on while keeping an eye on the tranny fluid level.

While holding the bike somewhat upright, the fluid appears to be half way up the sight glass.

Is that low?

Well, the next hotel has internet :)

Thanks to the replies, I decided to press on while keeping an eye on the tranny fluid level.

While holding the bike somewhat upright, the fluid appears to be half way up the sight glass.

Is that low?

Probably about right, certainly not low enough to require a top up.