bad news

DeBenGuzzi

sold my V11 almost 2 months ago and I'm an R-tard for that move

totaled my RSVR last sunday

I am now bikeless for the first time in a decade and I'll be 30 in a month

went for a ride made it 2 blocks from my house they put in new temp lights for the construction and the turn arrow isn't quite facing the right direction nor does it have a shroud on it and I got distracted then noticed the turn arrow which I thought was mine its literally adjacent to my green lite on the right side, it wasn't my greeen and I got the bike ripped out from under me and spun into the next lane, forks and rim are bent, brakes are not functioning, damper exploded, tail got miffed, upper fairing trashed, sliders did their job though the side fairings are perfect but now I see antifreeze some how got splashed on the right hand side so that is cracked and when I restarted it the bike ran really rough then smoothed out but was smoking a lot the whole time I had it running sooooo shit is not good. I didn't get hurt save for a bruise on my right leg I had my feet down and was able to kind of let the bike go I almost made it back out of the intersection when I realized I was in the wrong as he hit on front half of the tire. I didn't get a ticket and the police officer noted the lights are all messed up and was just glad I was ok.

pissing me off I changed the oil the day before with weight in gold Agip, lubed the chain and I got the tires 2 months ago with 1k on them so far. At least I'm not hurt I've heard it a lot but I can't stop thinking about the bike F me, in my mind I'd almost rather I'd gotten hurt and not the bike, I know that doesn't make sense but she is my baby. To go with that if it does get totaled I have red drings, red frame plugs, a fancy 1/4 turn billet fuel cap, red mpl clutch slave, rhinomoto axle sliders and bar end sliders(one just needs a new plastic end) maybe I can get my gilles chain adjusters off it also oh and I still have my af1 linkage plates I never installed. will have to unload all that stuff to take the sting out of my deductible of 1k.

My RSVR which I loved like a 4th child is totaled now comes the even harder part, what do I do? do I try and get a replacement 07.5+ RSVR, should I get a tuono either octoberfest flag colors or white/silver Should I look for a gen1 milleR(love that bike) or branch way out and get a KTM super duke or SMT(don't think I can afford that one at this time) or a BMW 1200C or a Victory V92C or a harley street bob, or a honda valkyrie, or a bmw 1150rt or a 1200gs, or possibly a Guzzi breva or griso(miss my V11 a lot now that I sold 2 months ago) the problem is I bet I won't be able to afford anything over 10k at this time and I like and would like to own any on of those bikes I have motorcycle ADD and the RSVR fulfilled all my riding pleasures but I'll be turning 30 next month and my career is tied to my commerical license so I always said I won't be getting another full on sport bike again but that RSVR was just so good in every way but KTM calls to me, BMW has many upsides, victory and harley make sense for getting on in years and needing to avoid speeding tickets the valkyrie is just a bad ass hooligan cruiser does anyone have any ideas, pros or cons or a bike if you could would like to jump on, I know I know I'd love a MV Agusta I'm not going to lie but the type of riding I do it would melt my legs off and just be a PITA to own. I also feel Ducati makes mechanics out of the poor and poor out of the rich so that is right out. I'm 6'2" 210lbs so keep in mind I might need some leg room and I hate heat blast generally drive like an old man but still like to roll on for a blast when the roads are right.

My front runners are a griso, tuono and the super duke. Problem is guzzi and tuono don't have any dealers in my area at all KTM has one and they're pretty good and another in mankato next to a guzzi dealer but thats almost 2 hours away

Ideally I'd like a KTM SMT but its brand new this year and 12k probably out of my price range now I know thats what I paid for my RSVR but that was 3 years ago I was doing better with less bills then.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad you are not hurt, it is the most important thing, bar none.

That being said, just make a call, scan the locals, buy a bike, and if you don't like it, sell it and buy another. After all, winter's comin and a small one would be fun to slid @ the corners... ( NOTE: CURRENT Economy in FULL Consderation...)

After my walk away HEAD ON W/ CAR NO GEAR crash, the Wife was REALLY pissed, at 3 monthes pregnant, to hear the response to her repeated question, "So? Do you get it now? Motorcycles are dangerous, etc..."

MY RESPONSE: "If I don't have another bike before the scabs fall off, I've failed myself..." or some version of that...

Maybe even something in the interim that you NORMALLY would'nt buy, just fer motorcycling fun?...Just my :2c:

Ben, you're allright. That's good news.

If I were you I would consider an all road type bike like the Triumph Tiger. Big bike with plenty of room and you can cruise it, you can travel with it (also two up) and they're really sharp in the corners.

Good luck!

I'm also glad to hear that you're ok Ben. As for your next bike...I have never heard you talk about getting rid of your aprilia like you did with the Guzzi. That leads me to think you do like the power and handling of a modern sportbike more than anything. If you rarely ride more than 150 miles at a time I would say you should get another racebike with lights. How about that new v4 Aprilia? Or the new Bmw 180hp 4 banger. I would take a VERY long hard look at that Kawasaki Concours with the zx14 type motor in it too. That has to be one of the best do it all bikes with wicked power out there.

I'm also glad to hear that you're ok Ben. As for your next bike...I have never heard you talk about getting rid of your aprilia like you did with the Guzzi. That leads me to think you do like the power and handling of a modern sportbike more than anything. If you rarely ride more than 150 miles at a time I would say you should get another racebike with lights. How about that new v4 Aprilia? Or the new Bmw 180hp 4 banger. I would take a VERY long hard look at that Kawasaki Concours with the zx14 type motor in it too. That has to be one of the best do it all bikes with wicked power out there.

You guys are great, I've been on the edge of depression this last week as its been 75+ and sunny and the bike sat in my driveway mangled for 4 of those 6 days so far then leo's south(terrible dealer) deemed it totaled after looking at it for 3 seconds.

I had full gear on when I got hit and the more I think the more I'm glad I was able to just jump out of the way. I do like the performance but sometimes a bike that is good at going slow can be great also I think the thing with the sport bikes is as long as its not too far forward I can keep my body up with my legs more I know when I had a cruiser I couldn't ride 100mi it was just my ass bouncing on the seat def need my legs under me. I might just get a Tuono because its the same position as the RSVR cheaper to buy easier to maintain but there are still no dealers for them here :( so that makes it hard, I'm not in a rush though I am looking to hopefully get something around mid-winter to really early spring only sooner if the right bike falls in my lap and I have the money ready.

Thing about the aprilia is I can't believe I just did a 425mi each way trip a few weeks ago on her, I went from mpls to marquette MI in the yoopers. Only the 6th+ hour in the saddle non stop was near unbearable thats really good comfort no matter what bike you're talking about.

just got the repair estimate and see why they totaled it, 6k to fix it and who knows if that would really be everything I don't know if they checked the radiator well enough because I'm sure its cracked and that wasn't listed and it was smoking pretty good which isn't good either but might just be because it was on its side for 20 min.

Jeez mate, at least you're not hurt. I thought it was going to be one of "those" stories.

On the plus side, it's like you're newly divorced! only cheaper...

Sky's the limit. How about the new shape ducati multistrada? saw one the other day, and thought it looked good. or you could go leftfield and get a benelli tre.

Don't worry about maintainance, it's Italian, so it never breaks. :whistle:

my sentiments on ducati: make mechanics out of the poor and poor out of the rich

benelli can't even make it off its shop stand for pictures without puking its oil or throwing a gear.

I like my almost trouble free aprilia and guzzi experiences.

HI Ben

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments- glad you are ok. Don't sweat the bike too much- it's just a possession, a piece of machinery. You'll get another soon enough.

Have you considered a dual sport like a DR650 or KLR650? They are great bikes for tall folks, but probably too slow for you.

Or buy another V11. They are way undervalued right now.

Or a Loopframe. You said you liked to tinker, right? I love my Eldo. It's no sportbike, but I never have an urge to drive it like one.

Edit: What about a BMW F800 GS or S?

HI Ben

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments- glad you are ok. Don't sweat the bike too much- it's just a possession, a piece of machinery. You'll get another soon enough.

Have you considered a dual sport like a DR650 or KLR650? They are great bikes for tall folks, but probably too slow for you.

Or a Loopframe. You said you liked to tinker, right? I love my Eldo. It's no sportbike, but I never have an urge to drive it like one.

All good feedback I need something thats a good all arounder that I'll mostly just ride to work, around town and occasional rides over 100mi and finally one ride of about 400-800mi once a year. I'm only going to have one bike so an all out touring bike would be too much a dedicated sport bike might not be enough although the RSVR was pretty damn solid I won't lie to ya. When I think about it I really did like that speed rush getting onto the freeway and knowing that if I had to I could get away from any situation with a little extra wrist(except when I need to back up this time) If I got another V11 it would be a lemans but the breva fits me better and was more comfy when I sat upon it.

HI Ben

All good feedback I need something thats a good all arounder that I'll mostly just ride to work, around town and occasional rides over 100mi and finally one ride of about 400-800mi once a year. I'm only going to have one bike so an all out touring bike would be too much a dedicated sport bike might not be enough although the RSVR was pretty damn solid I won't lie to ya. When I think about it I really did like that speed rush getting onto the freeway and knowing that if I had to I could get away from any situation with a little extra wrist(except when I need to back up this time) If I got another V11 it would be a lemans but the breva fits me better and was more comfy when I sat upon it.

I love my DR650; just took it on a 2000 mile on/off road trip in fact, and it did well. I finally figured out what all those Quota, GS and other D/S riders are talking about now-they're not as weird as I thought and the riding position is great for the long haul. Incidentally, I just happened to stop by Sonny Angel's in San Diego, and he actually has a never registered, 3 (three) mile V11 Lemans in red and gray there just waiting for someone to love her...:whistle:

sold my V11 almost 2 months ago and I'm an R-tard for that move

totaled my RSVR last sunday

I am now bikeless for the first time in a decade and I'll be 30 in a month

went for a ride made it 2 blocks from my house they put in new temp lights for the construction and the turn arrow isn't quite facing the right direction nor does it have a shroud on it and I got distracted then noticed the turn arrow which I thought was mine its literally adjacent to my green lite on the right side, it wasn't my greeen and I got the bike ripped out from under me and spun into the next lane, forks and rim are bent, brakes are not functioning, damper exploded, tail got miffed, upper fairing trashed, sliders did their job though the side fairings are perfect but now I see antifreeze some how got splashed on the right hand side so that is cracked and when I restarted it the bike ran really rough then smoothed out but was smoking a lot the whole time I had it running sooooo shit is not good. I didn't get hurt save for a bruise on my right leg I had my feet down and was able to kind of let the bike go I almost made it back out of the intersection when I realized I was in the wrong as he hit on front half of the tire. I didn't get a ticket and the police officer noted the lights are all messed up and was just glad I was ok.

pissing me off I changed the oil the day before with weight in gold Agip, lubed the chain and I got the tires 2 months ago with 1k on them so far. At least I'm not hurt I've heard it a lot but I can't stop thinking about the bike F me, in my mind I'd almost rather I'd gotten hurt and not the bike, I know that doesn't make sense but she is my baby. To go with that if it does get totaled I have red drings, red frame plugs, a fancy 1/4 turn billet fuel cap, red mpl clutch slave, rhinomoto axle sliders and bar end sliders(one just needs a new plastic end) maybe I can get my gilles chain adjusters off it also oh and I still have my af1 linkage plates I never installed. will have to unload all that stuff to take the sting out of my deductible of 1k.

My RSVR which I loved like a 4th child is totaled now comes the even harder part, what do I do? do I try and get a replacement 07.5+ RSVR, should I get a tuono either octoberfest flag colors or white/silver Should I look for a gen1 milleR(love that bike) or branch way out and get a KTM super duke or SMT(don't think I can afford that one at this time) or a BMW 1200C or a Victory V92C or a harley street bob, or a honda valkyrie, or a bmw 1150rt or a 1200gs, or possibly a Guzzi breva or griso(miss my V11 a lot now that I sold 2 months ago) the problem is I bet I won't be able to afford anything over 10k at this time and I like and would like to own any on of those bikes I have motorcycle ADD and the RSVR fulfilled all my riding pleasures but I'll be turning 30 next month and my career is tied to my commerical license so I always said I won't be getting another full on sport bike again but that RSVR was just so good in every way but KTM calls to me, BMW has many upsides, victory and harley make sense for getting on in years and needing to avoid speeding tickets the valkyrie is just a bad ass hooligan cruiser does anyone have any ideas, pros or cons or a bike if you could would like to jump on, I know I know I'd love a MV Agusta I'm not going to lie but the type of riding I do it would melt my legs off and just be a PITA to own. I also feel Ducati makes mechanics out of the poor and poor out of the rich so that is right out. I'm 6'2" 210lbs so keep in mind I might need some leg room and I hate heat blast generally drive like an old man but still like to roll on for a blast when the roads are right.

My front runners are a griso, tuono and the super duke. Problem is guzzi and tuono don't have any dealers in my area at all KTM has one and they're pretty good and another in mankato next to a guzzi dealer but thats almost 2 hours away

Ideally I'd like a KTM SMT but its brand new this year and 12k probably out of my price range now I know thats what I paid for my RSVR but that was 3 years ago I was doing better with less bills then.

Glad you're not badly hurt.

You live in Minnesota right?? Lots of,,,,,,,straight ass boring roads???? Heck, I'd get a dual sport bike, spice up your riding a bit, I mean alot, go find cool gravel roads. Can't beat a BMW GS, seriously. There's a reason they're the best selling big adventure bike,,,,,,for 30 yrs!!!

Steve

Glad you're not badly hurt.

You live in Minnesota right?? Lots of,,,,,,,straight ass boring roads???? Heck, I'd get a dual sport bike, spice up your riding a bit, I mean alot, go find cool gravel roads. Can't beat a BMW GS, seriously. There's a reason they're the best selling big adventure bike,,,,,,for 30 yrs!!!

Steve

Thanks and OH I know, I will get there when I'm a wee bit older, still have some hooligan in me not to mention the GS is a tad out of my price range of the 8K area, 10k is being generous maybe too generous for me if I need to add anything plus taxes and fee's I can get a brand new or nearly super duke for that and its a great bike for around town and medium to short rides same for the tuono I'm looking at 07-08 bikes low miles and a GS in the same area is about 12k. I think my bike AFTER this bike I buy in 4-5 years from now will be something in the GS/stelvio/Versys/ktmadv category. alternately if a Griso fell in my lap for similar money I'd be interested

the worst part so far is all the great weather we've been having, I haven't been without a bike in 10 years and its driving me crazy, a motorcycle is like my escape, my therapy and my steed for lack of a better word I know I don't have it in the winter months but that way I enjoy it even more in the good times I still need a bike to stir my soul and enjoy looking at it the duke and tuono And griso do that for me I can get bags and a huge screen next time but something makes me think I wont then either :)

Craigslist, buy a lite brite piece of shite for 3-4k and get your scooter fix. Marvel at a machine that costs next to nothing and only ever needs tyres and oil changes. Everyone should have a thrasher that doesnt need a bath or has to be worried over when it leaves your sight. Consider the next "special machine" from the saddle of the cheap one. It does do wonders for perspective and down the line when you do have that dream machine and it has an issue- you probably will still have old faithful to take you into the wind. I use an SV650 for this purpose and it works a charm. Ever seen the motorcycle rating show? Top 10 bikes, they went through all the exotica and number 1 position was snared by a Honda 150, cause it had sold the most units about the planet and could be tossed off a 4 storey building then ridden away. That is the Japanese concept of value and somedays ya just have to agree! :2c:

Glad your ok.FN-Broken.jpg