Question about EPA canisters

Guest captain nemo

Guest captain nemo

I just found out when I got my map that the two black canisters under the seat and all their attendant hoses can be taken off. So I did it. Now I have a place for tools under the seat!

BUT, my question is: How should I plug up the little nozzle on each throttle body? Can I use Superglue or silicone caulking? My kid uses a clear superglue for models called 'Zap a gap'. Are these all OK?

Guest captain nemo

Excellent. Thanks. Oh, I also noticed that these hoses were also connected to a similar hose on the under side of the tank. I left the hose on here so that it could 'drain.' Should I pull the hose off and plug up this nozzle?

Guest northend

DO NOT permanatly seal them!!!

Use vacum plug caps and put the spring clamps back on in case

backfire, etc., it won't blow the plugs off :grin::doh:

I originally plugged the nipples with vacuum caps. After a 'tune up' at the dealer the motor would backfire when restarted hot ( like after gassing up) and split the caps or blow the intake loosegiving a nasty vacuum leak either way. They had it way too rich. :bbblll:

I agree that properly tuned FI won't do that but bolting the vacuum ports is sure fire and secure. :thumbsup:

Definately do not plug the nipple coming out of the tank as that is your tank vent. Blocking it will create tank vacuum (suck). You can run a line to atmosphere or 'T' it into the tank overflow line.

An alternative to vacuum caps is to run a hose from left TB to right TB.

The advantages are:

If it blows or vibrates off it won't fall into oblivion. Even proper running Guzzis do vibrate.

When it comes time up TB balancing, you just yank your hose with no worries of lost caps. Proper Guzzi mechanics NEVER lose parts. :whistle:

The disadvantages are:

Clutter.

Some say this messes with performance, creating turbulence, so the vacuum caps may be the way to go.

:luigi:

....the vaccuum caps unfortunately *aren't* the way to go, well based on my experience anyway :(

Unless you can find a special set that are highly resistant to heat, any of the vaccuum caps you will find at your local auto-parts store will rapidly deteriorate from the heat, and expand, harden, and crack. Soon it will just drop off one day(even with the spring clip on it), and your bike will oddly start to run funny <_ ..and you wonder why src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif" alt=":rolleyes:">

Anyway, the best solution I've found is to remove the brass nipples.. and SAVE them for the occasionally TB balance, and install some short hex bolts with washers. It will take only a few minutes to remove them for TB balancing, and will provide a reliable seal for these ports when not balancing them. This will eliminate one of many intake vaccuum possible points of failure :thumbsup:

Or of course, a "crossover" or "balance" tube between the nipples will work fine as well. It's just a slightly less elegant solution IMHO :huh2:

al

I'm just not organized enough not to lose the nipples otherwise I'd just screw it.

So, I'll just hose it instead. :lol:

Thanks for the word on the caps, Al.

I was going to go to the vacuum caps but, now I'll go to plan B, blocking off the balance hose so that it does not balance nor create turbulence.