proper starting drill?

stefano

i recently purchased a 2002 leMans after lusting after a guzzi for many years, i've been riding a BMW R100RS for the last 20 years, i still have it, still like it.

here's the question. is there a proper start up drill for the guzzi? sometimes it will crank right up. other times when i push the start button, it won't crank 'til i put it in gear, then shift into neutral (all the while pushing on the start button)then it'll crank & start. lately it won't crank 'til i push the right bar kill switch to kill, then push it to run, then it'll crank & start. it's never left me stranded, always starts after doing some of above. oh, yeah, i have the kickstand up & clutch in.

hmmmm. am i doing something wrong? i just put in a new set on relays,but didn't help the starting drill.

i love the V11, it's everything i'd hoped it'd be & more, the riding thrill is back.

cheers, stefano

Mine: Warm out, no fast idle lever, Colder, lever to full, then turn throttle open a bit, sidestand down, clutch in, hit the button. Dependable more than 99%

Do you get the neutral light and other dash lights on before you crank it? Does the neutral light turn on and off faithfully as you snick it in and out of gear, not running? (Neutral switch at trans issues?)

Does it make a difference if you try it with the sidestand down and clutch in? Will it turn over in neutral when the stands down but the clutch isn't depressed? (Clutch switch and/or sidestand safety switch issues)

Do you notice it starts after moving the bars? (the infamous clutch switch bullet connectors)

Also, check the relays to make sure they are tight in the sockets, not loose or even popping out. Mine have before...

When I got mine from the original owner, I pulled EVERY electrical connection I could get to, and cleaned/lubed. Hope it's a start for you, S.H.

Mine: Warm out, no fast idle lever, Colder, lever to full, then turn throttle open a bit, sidestand down, clutch in, hit the button. Dependable more than 99%

Do you get the neutral light and other dash lights on before you crank it? Does the neutral light turn on and off faithfully as you snick it in and out of gear, not running? (Neutral switch at trans issues?)

Does it make a difference if you try it with the sidestand down and clutch in? Will it turn over in neutral when the stands down but the clutch isn't depressed? (Clutch switch and/or sidestand safety switch issues)

Do you notice it starts after moving the bars? (the infamous clutch switch bullet connectors)

Also, check the relays to make sure they are tight in the sockets, not loose or even popping out. Mine have before...

When I got mine from the original owner, I pulled EVERY electrical connection I could get to, and cleaned/lubed. Hope it's a start for you, S.H.

i've been starting the machine with the sidestand up, i thought this was a safty feature so u couldn't ride off with sidestand down to a disastrous left turn....just went out to the garage, sidestand down, in neutral (light on) clutch in, push start, starts right up. maybe the code is broken...

thanks for the reply & hints

stef

Try this:

Bike on stand/wood and jack under oil pan/have someone you trust hold it up. Sidestand up. Plunge the switch in and out while you spray clean, then lube the sidestand switch. If it fixes it, great. Doesn't? ONE less thing to worry about.

And lube the sidestand pivot while you're there. And the 2 spring's contact point's, and... :oldgit::huh2::D

i've been starting the machine with the sidestand up, i thought this was a safty feature so u couldn't ride off with sidestand down to a disastrous left turn....just went out to the garage, sidestand down, in neutral (light on) clutch in, push start, starts right up. maybe the code is broken...

stef

That's normal, bike will start with sidestand down, but only when in neutral (bike has to able to idle on the sidestand). For the procedure I'm with Savagehenry.

Try this:

Bike on stand/wood and jack under oil pan/have someone you trust hold it up. Sidestand up. Plunge the switch in and out while you spray clean, then lube the sidestand switch. If it fixes it, great. Doesn't? ONE less thing to worry about.

And lube the sidestand pivot while you're there. And the 2 spring's contact point's, and... :oldgit::huh2::D

being a machinist, first thing i did was build a stand similar to ones i've seen on this site. actually first thing was valve cover gaskets, gonna check clearances. guess i better get a shop manual for the V11, eh? so much new stuff to learn.

thanks, stef

Stefano, Like you, I had to get a V11 LeMans to satisfy my lust. I had multiple starting problems. I ended up eliminating the On-Off switch, and the clutch switch, shorting the leads going to them. Bikes I had in my youth never had this stuff, and I survived. I did leave the sidestand switch, consequences of riding off with the stand down bother me. I also moved the fuel pump out from under the tank, where it resides above the LH cylinder. It cooks there, causing vapor lock. No problems since.

If you have the time and inclination, build ten or so of the stands, and I bet you could sell them on this site!

stef

That's normal, bike will start with sidestand down, but only when in neutral (bike has to able to idle on the sidestand). For the procedure I'm with Savagehenry.

you guys forgot one more part of the drill. Keep Fingers Crossed. ;-)

bike started flawlessly yesterday (except one time) but it always starts.

not to worry, i'll sort it out. i used to ride a norton commando, now THERE was a bike with issues. i was still sad to see it go when time came to thin the herd......cheers, stef

I had lust and filled it w/a 2002 as well. mine needs a quick hit of the starter, pause then 1/4 turn throttle and push start again.. then I go! knock on wood I have never had a problem and I ride everyday to work and home since may 1 this summer.. ME in LOVE!

IMAG0247.jpg

from two weeks ago,

sorry for your problems and I can sympathize, I've had other Guzzi dilemas.

I had lust and filled it w/a 2002 as well. mine needs a quick hit of the starter, pause then 1/4 turn throttle and push start again.. then I go! knock on wood I have never had a problem and I ride everyday to work and home since may 1 this summer.. ME in LOVE!

IMAG0247.jpg

from two weeks ago,

Brilliant Video! Inspired me to dig the V11 out again, not used it this year :angry: Spent all year touring on the Norton Commando and my Breva but also missed the V11, I WILL use it next year!

IMAG0247.jpg

from two weeks ago,

Brilliant Video! Inspired me to dig the V11 out again, not used it this year :angry: Spent all year touring on the Norton Commando and my Breva but also missed the V11, I WILL use it next year!

yeah, photoguzzi's video was great. BTW, i also love my guzzi, i ride so much more since getting it. winter is coming, plenty time to sort any problems. i think the 2 best upgreads i did for my commando was the boyer ignition, thost twin points were a pain, also installed single mikuni, i'm not a purist, made it fairly reliable. also pined the swing arm spindle,that combined with the isolastics made for some interesting handling. :-) not to mention right side shift, 1 up, 3 down.......

cheers, stef

IMAG0247.jpg

from two weeks ago,

Nice video! Been a long time since I've ridden the roads in Minnesota. Might have to take a trip home next summer.