Installed K&N pods can't stop intake pop

vanman

. . .It ran very well like that in all but the hottest weather. The temp sensor change took care of the hot weather running . . .

Freakin' heretic, messin' with yer sensers like that!;)

Sacrilege !

Funny how everyone who dares to go over to the dark side and try the mod has reported an improvement in fueling.

Yep, snake oil allright.

Any long term results to report docc?

I wanted to let everyone that has been reading this to know what the update is on my K&N pods-- because I could not make the LeMans run as well as it should and the seal was also leaking near the axle in the bevel gear (rear end) I decided to go to the nearby guzzi shop. (the pinion and bevel are removed also a bearing to get to this seal. let the pro's check it out. The bike is now running good and no leaking rear end. To fix the popping the shop tried to tune it with the pwrcmd but it popped for them, they relized that it already had a racing ecu (I did not know it was not stock, it also has aftermarket exhausts) so they were able to adjust the fuel mix to the point where it runs good, I want to thank every one for your help because i got pretty close, but the combination of the racing ecu & pwrcmd did not work well together, Thanks, John

I wanted to let everyone that has been reading this to know what the update is on my K&N pods-- because I could not make the LeMans run as well as it should and the seal was also leaking near the axle in the bevel gear (rear end) I decided to go to the nearby guzzi shop. (the pinion and bevel are removed also a bearing to get to this seal. let the pro's check it out. The bike is now running good and no leaking rear end. To fix the popping the shop tried to tune it with the pwrcmd but it popped for them, they realized that it already had a racing ecu (I did not know it was not stock, it also has aftermarket exhausts) so they were able to adjust the fuel mix to the point where it runs good, I want to thank every one for your help because i got pretty close, but the combination of the racing ecu & pwrcmd did not work well together, Thanks, John

The powercommander will work just fine with the race ECU if you have the right map and your TPS is set correctly. I have a custom PC map that works well with my 02 race ECU, but I'm pretty sure that the factory ecu mapping changed in 03 so my map wouldn't be right for your bike. You would need to either have a custom map made or contact Todd at Guzzitech and see if he has a map that's compatible with your year bike, ECU, and modifications. I wouldn't go with a custom map until I was sure that I wasn't going to make any more modifications. :2c: An aftermarket crossover will help out the 4k rpm torque dip.

That said, if you're happy with the way that the bike is running after the shop tuned it there's no need to muck with it. You might want to check your idle TPS reading for future reference.

Funny how everyone who dares to go over to the dark side and try the mod has reported an improvement in fueling.

Yep, snake oil allright.

I'm still waiting for the colder temperatures to see what may happen next. During some very aggressive sport-touring, in moderate temperatures, the Sport made 38-40 USmpg (typical for me would have been 35-37). So, that may be only a 5% improvement. The coldest temps I ride (40 F/ 4 C) have always given me 32-34 mpg. Maybe the next couple months will reveal those numbers.:nerd:

Still, the idle and heat tolerance in traffic remains notably better with the Delrin temperature sensor holder and the thermister itself denuded. Yet, that's only after four and a half months and 4500 miles, so I'm not sure that's "long term" in the 76,000 mile/10 year scheme of things.

I guess I say that to be conservative and modest and askance. Certainly, I am not inclined to JBWeld the thermister back together or go back to the (unbreakable) heavy brass holder. I tried that and it didn't work out for me.:oldgit: