rear shock

rossi46

Yeah we've seen it in here before, but it has been awhile. Its a good reminder to keep an "eye" on it :rolleyes:

What do you guys think the main culprit is here, stress or corrosion? I think its stress or poor steel. Yet one more thing that should be recalled because if that part fails at any speed there will be serious hell to pay.

Yeah we've seen it in here before, but it has been awhile. Its a good reminder to keep an "eye" on it :rolleyes:

What do you guys think the main culprit is here, stress or corrosion? I think its stress or poor steel. Yet one more thing that should be recalled because if that part fails at any speed there will be serious hell to pay.

AArgh! More "eye" jokes?

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's a game: find the eye! ;)

Did you notice how filthy the thing was too? I'm thinking that bike was probably parted out for a reason. In any case we've seen this before and I'm glad it was brought up again lest I forget to check it once in awhile. I'm not sure how much time you would have between when it starts to crack and the time your bike folds up like an accordion in a hairpin turn. Oh well I suppose if its your time...

• 1 year later...

Do those of us that are lucky enough to have a bike fitted with Öhlins shock absorber also have to worry, or is this a WP-problem?

I thought it was a ZF-Sachs problem. Anyway, Europeans might like to send theirs . He does a very good job on these Sachs parts, probably for other makes as well.

Hubert

My V11 (2000year) has this crack, and the bike is pampered low mileage (9000miles) and never used in wet, so something is wrong with metal or stressed?

Paul

Stressed I'd say - reports have been coming in of the same problem with both Sachs and WP which says maybe there's soemthing else at play here. The Hagon has a steel eye rather than Ally so maybe is a bit more resistant.

Did you notice how filthy the thing was too? I'm thinking that bike was probably parted out for a reason.

was thinking the same, but its not the only one by the sounds of it.

Do those of us that are lucky enough to have a bike fitted with Öhlins shock absorber also have to worry, or is this a WP-problem?

yeah, same question?

is it a frame part or shock part breaking?

You do have to wonder at breaking an 01 and 04 V11 that haven't been crashed. Probably pretty abused, a few badly executed stoppies could be enough stress to do that to a shock. :2c:

would have thought that would stress the frount out more, im a dumb arse t times and whellie mine that i would expect would load the rear up.

As I recall, the putative cause was corrosion between the shock eye and the steel pin it rides on. The eye couldn't take the stress from the corrosion swelling, I suppose. Someone (don't remember who) said that there was no grease on the shock when they took it apart.

I dunno.