Italy to UK bike transport - any ideas?

ScuRoo

Hi UK fella's

Has anyone had any experience in buying a bike from seller in Italy - and then getting the bike back to the UK?

I'm happy to ride it, but Italian law requires the plates are first removed from bike when buyer is a non-resident.

Anyone done this kind of exercise and knows a sensible way to get round this stooopid Italian red tape?

Bike is down near Rome.

Gotta 'nother itch that needs scratching... if you know a way I might become ScuRoo-ter 2!

Hi UK fella's

Has anyone had any experience in buying a bike from seller in Italy - and then getting the bike back to the UK?

I'm happy to ride it, but Italian law requires the plates are first removed from bike when buyer is a non-resident.

Anyone done this kind of exercise and knows a sensible way to get round this stooopid Italian red tape?

Bike is down near Rome.

Gotta 'nother itch that needs scratching... if you know a way I might become ScuRoo-ter 2!

If you go to the MOT [i think that's what the UK version of our Dept. of Motor Vehicles is called], do they have any provision for "paper" plates? Here in CA, you can go to the DMV & get temporary registration pending the conclusion of certain logistical requirements [ie, getting a car smogged before re-registration, etc.] which would give you the time to ride the bike from Italy to the UK and get it inspected/registered/plated.

Best of luck!

Hi UK fella's

Bike is down near Rome.

Sorry ScuRoo but you have got to rent a van.

The plate stays in Italy!

I don't think you have got more option than that one.

Good luck!!!

What about this suggested scenario???

"Fortunately, with English insurance companies when European bikes are bought we can insure the bike on

frame number alone. Therefore I propose:

1) You email me the frame number and I will insure it for me to ride. After I arrive, we sign papers but

do NOT officially lodge them.

2) I then leave the FULL amount of agreed cash payment with you as “holding deposit”, and

meticulously “test ride” bike for a couple of day’s to make sure it is in “good working order”.

3) The test ride confirms approval to purchase. I then courier the bikes plates back to you with DHL and

the “holding deposit” now converts into “purchase price”.

4) You then remove it from the vehicle register returning bikes plates and lodge signed papers to

officially complete the sale. (I will also then re-register bike in England in my name).

This will satisfy Italian vehicle register rules, whilst allowing economical delivery to UK."

Any legal problems with that???

The Italian plate needs to stay in Italy to expatriate the bike in a foreign country.

This is the case of an Italian person.

Your case is that you want take the bike to UK with the plate.

If you look this case objective you wil see that the seller wouldn't give you a bike with the plate on it.

The story of the insurance is right.

You can insure the bike on the chassis number.

If I am selling my bike to a Spanish guy, I wont give him the bike with the licence plate on it.

It might be Penelope Cruzpenelope1.JPG,

it would not gonna happen

Rent a van...

• 2 months later...