NOISEY SYNCRO IN SIXTH GEAR !

:luigi: Ive had my v11 sport for a few months now, only used on nice dry days, so not used much yet !

I love the bike for what it is, but ive noticed that the sixth gear tends to emit a syncro whine, is this normal, the bikes only covered 15000 miles & its the first guzzi ive had the pleasure of, so not sure what to expect, i could live with it but i feel it probabley shouldnt be there considering the engineering on the rest of this machine !

These are straight cut pinions, so what you hear might be normal. Mine is singing in every gear, I mean 4th up, and I really like it I can say. Have you ever heard a straight cut Fuller lorry gearbox under heavy load ;)?

hubert

And, btw., some cool avatar you have

As Hubert says, the whine may simply be something to just enjoy!:bier:

Still, fresh gear oils in the gearbox and bevel drive along with careful greasing of the u-joints, shaft splines and drive splines (on the rear wheel hub) may change its tune.:whistle:

These are straight cut pinions, so what you hear might be normal. Mine is singing in every gear, I mean 4th up, and I really like it I can say. Have you ever heard a straight cut Fuller lorry gearbox under heavy load ;)?

hubert

Thank you Hubert, the avatar is of my home town of Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire / uk its been in the news for a few years now due to the repatriation of out fallen troops from the middle east.

:luigi: Ive had my v11 sport for a few months now, only used on nice dry days, so not used much yet !

I love the bike for what it is, but ive noticed that the sixth gear tends to emit a syncro whine, is this normal, the bikes only covered 15000 miles & its the first guzzi ive had the pleasure of, so not sure what to expect, i could live with it but i feel it probabley shouldnt be there considering the engineering on the rest of this machine !

hubert

Thanks for your replies guys ! i shall just ride & enjoy !

• 3 years later...

Speaking to a V11 owner yesterday, he was asking about my bike in sixth gear as his whines very loudly. He is thinking about taking his gearbox apart but if he reads this thread it may put his mind at rest ( or not)

... but if he reads this thread it may put his mind at rest ( or not)

The problem is to define what is normal. He's the only one to say whether it's getting rapidly worse or not.

Hubert

There was a known issue with some V11 gearboxes. There was a recall on it.

There is an issue with other Guzzi gearboxes where they use cheap bearings with plastic cages that can cause issues. I don't know if the V11 box is subject to those issues. Are the pipes stock pipes or aftermarket. I ask because if you have stock pipes I could see you being able to hear the gearbox. But if you have an aftermarket pipe I would not expect you to be able to hear the gearbox.

I used to have a sixth gear noise louder than the exhaust. Haven't had such since I fixed the problem by changing the tranny. Got a slightly used box cheaper than parts for the sixth gear would have cost as new.

I was on a long downhill run the other day and heard a weird whine, like a medium to high pitched howl. I downshifted and it disappeared.

I think the V11 transmissions hit a certain speed and load and create some kind or harmonic resonance. I have tried to duplicate it but couldn't find it again.