rpm at speed

Guest weaselberry

Guest weaselberry

Hey all,

I'm a newbie with an '03 V-11 sport naked. I'm still within the "under 5000 rpm break-in" rule as I only have a few miles on this bike. I wanted to know what to expect as far as top speed and redlining on this stock bike. I am pulling just about 5000 rpms at 83-84 mph in sixth gear. Is this about average? Also, the bike's tach shows that it redlines at 8000, and "yellow-lines" at 7000. If I'm doing 83 at 5000 rpms in the top gear, I'm assuming this bike won't do more than about 105 mph? That doesn't sound like much. Anyway, if any of you have hints on breaking this bike in, please let me know. Thanks!

:thumbsup:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm doing 83 at 5000 rpms in the top gear, I'm assuming this bike won't do more than about 105 mph?

I'm not certain how you got to that number. The way I figure it 83 divided by 5 equals 16.6 MPH per thousand RPM. 16.6 times 8 gets you 132.8 MPH. Your bike won't do that but I think it ought to be good for something over 120. Also, my speedo is a bit optimistic. It's seen over 130, but I don't believe it.

Guest captain nemo

Well, my bike is not totally stock, but not modified in the engine. I would bet a thousand bucks that it will do 130 mph. I know I have done short bursts of actual 105-110 mph while late model cars tried to give me a run for it - pathetic. I've gone 145mph actual on the track, and judging from the power and feel of my own bike over a ton, I can see that it had a LONG WAY to go. Seriously. But I would caution anybody to really try to find out until you know the bike inside and out. I don't, so it will be yet a good while until I find out. Plus I want to know the error in my speedo. I didn't buy this bike for top end flights, but I find that it is tempting me to explore it.

BY THE WAY, I WISH EVERYONE WOULD LIST THEIR LOCATION IN THE PERSONAL AREA. THIS IS NOT ONLY INTERESTING, BUT IT HELPS US GET A FEEL FOR WHO LIVES NEAR US AND WHAT SORT OF WEATHER/ENVIRONMENT/POLITICAL AMBIANCE AND LOCAL DEALERSHIPS YOU ARE RIDING IN. :bier:

Factory manual states top speed at 220kph or 136.7 mph. (naked bike)

Not sure if this is redline or drag induced. I have seen an indicated 140 on the speedo so that is probably low-mid 130's.

One day a top speed run with gps for actual numbers. :bike:

Hmm, slight correction.

The above top speed was from a sales brochure.

My factory workshop manual states top speed as 137.5 mph.

Can you guys with the lemans etc with fairing look to see if your speed is different?

I bet I can hit 140 :whistle:

Guest gooddog

when i was running in my 02 lemans it would just about hit 90 @ 5000rpms in 6th. which would put it at 18mph per 1000 rpms. once your bike is run in and you start to get over 6000 on your day to day riding, youll dicover all wonderful italian "character" that everyone talks about. if only that pesky rev-limiter would quit ruining all the fun. while trying to keep up with my buddys r1, ive had it up to about 130 with room to go on the tack.( i usually can't look down for too long when zipping along the highway at break neck speed). but i'm not sure that it could do much more than 140.

The speedo can be 3 - 10% off from the factory just from calibration. Since the speedo reads relative to rear wheel rpm, it will be even more inaccurate as the rear wheel attempts to transfer the increased power required to go faster to the pavement surface. The rear wheel will slip some and that reads as speed that isn't there. Put something like a Sigma bicycle speedometer on your bike that is using the front wheel for it's input (less slip there for sure), properly calibrate it and you'll be amazed (or dismayed) at what's real and what isn't. What's really nice is that with the Sigma having a peak speed memory feature, you won't have to look down at a crucial moment. The best I've seen that I believe is real is around 131 mph on my V11 Sport (with bags and gear) and 134.5 on my Sport 1100i. There was still a bit of room left on either bike, but I wasn't comfortable with the speed and the road as it was, so the experiments were terminated before something negative occurred. Sigma's are dirt cheap, the older BC800 model is going for about $13 these days, have a number of very useful features and are good to 183 mph. Unfortunately, they do not have interior lights so illumination at night is awkward.

Guest captain nemo
You might want to take a thousand dollars up to seattle. just be wary of the political ambience

I never said that I am betting a grand that MY Guzzi is the fastest; I only said that I bet it would do 130 mph. Judging from the response, I'm right.

Also, despite my highly original, unorthodox and unkosher views, I am a perfect gentleman in person. B)

BY THE WAY, I WISH EVERYONE WOULD LIST THEIR LOCATION IN THE PERSONAL AREA. THIS IS NOT ONLY INTERESTING, BUT IT HELPS US GET A FEEL FOR WHO LIVES NEAR US AND WHAT SORT OF WEATHER/ENVIRONMENT/POLITICAL AMBIANCE AND LOCAL DEALERSHIPS YOU ARE RIDING IN. :bier:

Good point - consider it done :D

i have seen over 120 stock. but things get a little wierd up there for me. and the vibration your dealing with now? wait till you get up around 6 and 7, they go almost totaly away. man, on my break-in, my hands would go numb on the highway.

I have GPS'ed mine @ 118 and I had the distinct feeling it would keep going

on up if I didn't run out of road. I'm pretty sure it would do 130. Totally stock Le Mans. Smooth as silk at that speed also. BTW I also have bumped the rev limiter a bunch of times pulling onto interstates...it feels as if it is set a bit low..any thoughts?

Mike

IBA#15554