Trailer-Hitch Swivel Point

ScuRoo

Over the last few months I've been doing lot's of ferreting and gleaning all sort's of trailer opinions and set-up's. My goal is to keep a narrow profile to the bike and for the trailer to be single wheeled to follow the bikes wheel tracks and lean.

Really, the biggest singular problem with trailers is how it can transfer it's load weight to the bike at its point of attachment - especially if it gets a weave like a caravan. If the weave gets enough energy it potentially can whip back and forth like a dogs tail. Obviously the situation of the tail (trailer) wagging the dog (bike) is to be minimised if at all possible.

Enough of all that though.

I've been mulling over and have decided the ideal swivel point for me would be almost directly above the centre of the rear wheel hub and as close to the tyre as possible - IF it was strong enough and possible to attach.

This chap has done this for a different reason - but please take a look at the pic link and imagine that it attached to both sides of the wheel and the swivel point for the trailer is where the top of his plate is. I invite you to let me know if you think I can acheive a strong enough modification point from the wheel.

I'm thinking - Yes, it is strong enough... "but a wise man seeks counsel".

http://forum.animaguzzista.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15712&start=140

My intention is not to invite voices against the wisdom of trailers per se as I'm relaxed enough on that issue, but rather the technical side of it. But then again, as usual, it's all open slather...

Cheers fella's

If you are talking about mounting a trailer hitch like the other person has mounted a tag/tailight, then I would say that would be a lot of unsprung weight. It could be a very bad thing. I am not a motorcycle trailer guy, but I would think giving the trailer the ability to put weight/energy directly into the wheel would be bad.

The few trailer hitches I have seen appeared to be mounted to the frame.

But again, I have no m/c trailer experience.